the movie JARHEAD

I know JARHEAD came out along time ago. but i still dont get the part where 1 of the troops gets shoot during mud training ? If that happen in real life , would the department of defense get sued ?

I know JARHEAD came out along time ago. but i still dont get the part where 1 of the troops gets shoot during mud training ? If that happen in real life , would the department of defense get sued ?

Remember, it's just a movie. When that happens in real life (and it does) there are investigations, more investigations and after that, more investigations. Someone feels the wrath of the UCMJ and loses a military career.

As for suing the DoD, I suppose a family could bring about a suit for wrongful death, but I can't find any instances where it's been successful. Most likely the suit would be against the individual that was negligent, if there was any instance of negligence. Otherwise, there wouldn't really be a case. (Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney)

Military training is inherently dangerous and this is a well known fact. Guys die in training all of the time. Sometimes it's a malfunction, sometimes negligence and sometimes it's just how things go when you're already preforming risky training.

If it was approved training and everything was in accordance with the rules then they could not get sued.

It's called embelishment. The movie and the book are full of it as is Swofford...live ammo was not used on the infiltration course when he went thru boot.I went thru well before the esteemed Mr Swofford and it was not used. We won't even get into his career as a "sniper" .

Last edited:
i think the movie was quite inaccurate from what I know but I bet that those who served and went through boot can testify better, I bet if live ammo wasn't used in training during the 70's then it wouldn't be used in 90's

Please tell 03, peaked everyones curiosity.

Lets just say that SWofford was assigned to STA Plt and never held a 8541 MOS.......otherwise it would get detailed.

BTW: MOPP Suit football game....yeah that was also embellished due to a number of issues Swofford had.

Yea this movie and the book (which I read) seems to show the viewer/reader how NOT to lead a Marine Corps career. The guy seems to be a real underachiever and seems to complain allot about the same things that not just he, but everyone around him had to endure to. Really self absorbed guy. Thats how I think allot of what is in the movie is so inaccurate and overly dramatized. Especially in this case where the guy's short career is not that spectacular.

Back