Movie best represents Vietnam War

which movie best sums up the Vietnam war for you?

• rambo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • apocalypse now

• casulties of war

• full metal jacket

• platoon

• Total voters

chewie_nz

Banned
i just watched full metal jacket and it got me to thinking, what movie do you think best represents or sums up a conflict?

and i'm going to start with vietnam....

sorry if i missed any movies but feel free to post them!

let me think of this

When we were soldiers..............

I never really took notice of vietnam war to be honest.....but when i saw this fil, the emotions mel gibson went through the story line was unfolded more on general custor or how ou spell his name.

The films you mentioned all have different aspects to vietnam, but i'd still say when we were soldiers as it is more emotional and tells the story a lil more direct, and why it happened

Another Vietnam movie I liked (though the charactors are never shown there) is "Gardens of Stone". Real nice showing of what senior leaders feel like training young men for war and the aftermath of that service. It gets lost a bit in the love angle but makes the sacrifices paid seem tangible.

Marksman said:
Italian Guy said:
How bout PREDATOR ??? :lol:

i dont think that was even anywhere near vietnam ;)

Well I think so, indeed.
Actually some say it was set in Viet Nam, while others say it was in Central America. anyone knows more? Or maybe this is going off- topic here.

All those Spanish speaking guys in the helicopter scene at the end might give ya a clue he he.

Yeah it is :eek:fftopic:

I know there are a few in the 101st who would be offended because Hamburger Hill wasn't on there.

The special effects and acting of that movie are not the greatest, but it sure depicts the type of struggle, socially and military related, that soldiers went through in the ashaw valley.

In my opinion, We were Soldiers is a kinda sad movie, you know all those men died for nothing, and Vietnam continued on. I dont know much about Vietnam, but I do know that it was really long and a lot of guys didnt come home.

"we were soldiers" is a great movie, but it only depicts on battle without grasping bigger issues of the vietnam war. The only real race issue was where one of the white soldier's wives said she could not wash here "colors" at the laundry mat. The battle at the Ia Drang valley was more bloody than at Hill 937 "hamburger hill." There were 151 KIA 121 WIA US 403 KIA 150 WIA NVA at Drang Valley while 56 KIA 420 WIA US and 400-600 KIA NVA.

Hamburger Hill shows more than just fighting. It shows new recruits who do not know jack. There is bigger issue with race and the draft. At one point, a black soldier died "on point" who only had a week left in Nam. White soldiers who were short were put up at Battalion away from the fighting. There are a few instances of drugs and prostitutes.

The verdict is that "We Were Soldiers" is a great movie for one battle while "Hamburger Hill" covers more issues that soldiers dealt with in Vietnam.

In my opinion, We were Soldiers is a kinda sad movie, you know all those men died for nothing, and Vietnam continued on

i must say that i really almost cried,really,it brought me to the edge.Especially that mail delivering...........and id like to see a guy telling me that he "likes war" :?

I was one of the lucky ones in 1965 when I had my 3 years in but I talked with friends who were drafted and got so many different stories that I finally figured out that no one battle or movie for that matter could depict a country-wide war. A friend at work was drafted in '70 and spent his time in the Ashaw Valley. He said that he fired at one guy who was aiming an RPG at the helicopter with a "20 round burst" and the guy was still there, he missed. A buddy of his fired one shot and killed the VC before he could fire. He said, other than that, he didn't have a close encounter but a lot of firing at the jungle. He was 82nd Airborne.

My next door neighbor who was 18 joined about the same time and went to NCO school to be an APC team leader. He was under constant fire until his vehicle was hit, also by an RPG. The last time I saw him. they were still removing fragments from his back. He and one other trooper made it out alive.

A High School buddy was drafted in '67 and said he burned waste from the latrines for about six months, among other details, and was thrown into combat where he saw light action but no hand to hand or close encounters.

I guess I'm saying that different people would write totally different books or movies depending on where they were. The Marines who were attacked during the TET offensive can make the hair stand up on the nape of your neck with their experiences.

We Were Soldiers had to be close.

Hamburger Hill. It seemed to have had the correct morale of the soldiers in Vietnam.. And yes, We Were Soldiers was a great movie, but that was one of the first major battles of Vietnam, if not the first, I'm not sure, but anyways, the soldiers really believed in what they were doing.

Charge_7 said:
All those Spanish speaking guys in the helicopter scene at the end might give ya a clue he he.

Yeah it is :eek:fftopic:

Right, but it's a bit misleading, though. The girl they take as pow is asian.

It would have to be a tie between "We were Soldiers" and "Platoon". Even though we were soldiers put alot of time into the emotions of the war, but platoon has more of the firefights so you actually know what Vietnam was like in that war.

Back