Movie best represents Vietnam War

which movie best sums up the Vietnam war for you?

• rambo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • apocalypse now

• casulties of war

• full metal jacket

• platoon

• Total voters
We were Soldiers and Platoon are the two best, especially since they are very opposite from each other. We Were Soldiers focuses on the beginning of the war and draws the battlefield action from a MAJOR battle. Platoon takes place towards the end of the war, mostly conscript army that does not want to be there. Also, with the exception of the ending the battles are mostly skirmishes. However, I believe if you want to see an interesting movie that shows the role the war played in one mans life you should watch Forrest Gump. The Vietnam part was only one part of the large epic, but you see the effect it played on your average (well, maybe not average) mans life. Full Metal Jacket was a great satire, Apocalypse Now was wierd, and Hamburger Hill was also good. Casualties Of War was a good choice, and not well known.

Platoon and The Quiet American.

The Quiet American showed a whole side of the war that you never see before.

As for "We were soldiers", filmed in Australia, gotta love the Gum trees in Nam :D

I voted for Platoon, because the action takes place in the jungle and this is the mean site for the struggle against the NVN.
Of course some battles were in the city, particulary during the Têt offensive, but jungle was the repair of the viets, so i didn't vote for Full Metal Jacket.
Concerning "We were soldiers" I have never seen it :(

AussieNick said:
Platoon and The Quiet American.

The Quiet American showed a whole side of the war that you never see before.

As for "We were soldiers", filmed in Australia, gotta love the Gum trees in Nam :D

hahahaha i was wondering about that!

good point on the quite american... you almost never see the french mentioned, we were soldiers did, and i loved the bit with the bugle

I said Platoon. That was really good... a bit more so than We Were Soldiers I thought because it followed one joe and did a great job of it. In We Were Soliders, you followed an entire Battallion and the main character was the commanding officer.
Speaking of which, you know you could actually kind of link those two movies? In Platoon, Elias mentions how the hard ass sarge played by Mark Berenger still believes and how he used to believe but not anymore? So you could imagine those two sergeants being from the cadre that first arrived in Vietnam.

And do read the book We Were Soldiers!!! It was an era of transformation. The Army changed the way it fought (at least sometimes anyways) and the American public changed.... and the soldiers felt it big time. When they went to war, it felt like it was Korea or World War II. When they came back, they realized the whole world had changed.... interesting read. You just have to read it. I read it years and years before the movie came out so I was quite pleasantly surprised.

I don't really like any Vietnam movies but We Were Soldiers is probably a good choice. I saw platoon, but it it doesn't make too much sense when the own team is killing each other for no reason.

i don't think i have ever seen we were soldiers but i did see apocalypse now and thought it was a good movie

"We Were Soldiers" was fairly recent so you should be able to easily find it at movie rentals. Probably on the pay channels like HBO, and Starz too. A good movie. One of Mel's best IMO.

I'm in a pretty dead tie with a handful to be honest. Some movies captured different aspects of the war, and it just depends. We Were Soldiers was a good movie, but Hamburger Hill I think really got me into the minds of the soldiers.

FULL METAL JACKET

im going with FULL METAL JACKET purely for the fact my dad fought in vietnam, and i saw the movie 10,000 times, i knew the movie and my dads war stories so well i coulda been there. he even went threw PI and lejune like in the movie. he said its the most accurate hes seen, for the war/soldier/marine part of it atleast. and i think he would pretty much know since he was there. i like WE WERE SOLDIERS though i think it gives a good view on how the families waitin back at home feel.

4ever Proud-JHC-My Bro.My Hero.

My dads friend was at the Ia Drang Valley in vietnam, just like in We Were Soldiers, and he said it so accurate. His platoon leader was Lt. Hal Moore just like in the movie. He also says that the asian guy from the movie in his platoo, is him. So thats why I picked We Were Soldiers.

Firebase Gloria

There is one movie I saw that a few of the older guys who were in vietnam said carried some weight was "Firebase Gloria". The DI from Full Metal Jacket (cant remember his name... :oops: ) plays a gunny sgt and is quite memorable.
Another was something triangle, it was unique in that half the movie was an american soldiers perspective and the other half was from a vietnamese soldiers side and their story lines intersect when i think the american is taken prisoner.
I was not in Vietnam so I cannot say what was or was not like 'reality' but has anyone who was there seen these movies? Care to comment on them?

We Were Soliders and Apocalypse Now

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

I came close to crying when Mel Gibson was finally home. :cry:

And for the Aussie perspective "The Odd Angry Shot" is brilliant.
Has the Aussie larrikin humour some action and the most accurate patrolling I have seen portrade in a vietnam movie.
Made on a small budget but has some great Aussie actors in it.
Damn yank scorpion beat the spider...... ya gotta see the movie to laugh at that scene.

Back