MOTTO OF THE PRINCE OF WALES'S OWN REGIMENT OF YORKSHIRE

A

Anonymous

THEIR MOTTO IS "NEC ASPERA TERRENT" THIS SHOULD ALSO COME BEFORE THE KINGS REGIMENT WHO HAVE THE SAME MOTTO BECAUSE THEY ARE A MORE SENIOR REGIMENT BEING THE 14TH/15TH REGIMENT OF FOOT.

Admin Edit, 22 April 04:
To those of you who has ended up here searching for the motto of the Prince of Wales, you can find it here:
http://philologos.org/bpr/files/Misc_Studies/ms022.htm

Could someone please tell me why you are searching for that motto??
If you don't understand this post, please read this:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11500

Nec is "not, nor" and terrent is from terros, which is "to scare" and aspera is "adversity".

so, i guess "frightened by no adversities" would be the best translation, or at least the most accurate.

FYI, i'm no latin expert, or even novice. I'm just a schmoe with a dictionary. If any of this is wrong, it wouldn't surprise me at all. It's all greek to me...well, latin. whatever, i don't understand any of it. Just me and a dictionary.

It can be translated simply to mean "difficulties do not frighten us"

All of those translations fit the bill, Latin can be manipulated in any way provided the end translation fits the meaning. I'm learning that the hard way with Cicero's Pro Caelio in Latin IV right now.

I think it's worth noting that the phase in question is also the motto of the US 27th Infantry Regiment (The Wolfhounds!), which is posted on the site, and the title of the collected diaries of Colonel Christian von Ompteda, Freidrich Lindau and Major George von Coulon all of the King's German Legion. 8)

Motto

Im serving with the Prince of Wales own Currentley the motto is actually Diffiucultys do not Deter

Dear Guest: I think Acerbus already said it best - that translations will differ. However, I think we all also understand what the meaning is and yours works real well too.

I have no idea either..

No searches for it the last two days...
Could have been searches for an answer to some kind of Local TV or Radio competition, or something like that...???

prince of wales motto

I am not certain exactly why this has been searched so many times in the month of April; but I initated a search looking for the answer to a NY Times crossword clue, to wit "Motto of the Prince of Wales". As an avid crossworder, I find that the clues to puzzles generally run in cycles through out the various puzzles, sometimes the clues are promted by current events.

I think I know why there is sudden interest in the Prince of Wales motto. It was a clue in the New York Times crossword puzzle.

Nice, finally an answer..
Thanks.. :D

Must have been something similar in April as well..

Here's todays searches (so far)
No of searches, Search engine and searchwords..

67 Google motto of the Prince of Wales
36 Google prince of wales motto
15 Google motto prince of wales
8 Google motto of prince of wales
6 Google prince of wales motto
4 Google motto prince wales

as also an ex member of the 1st Batt 1 PWO the motto translates to Let No Dificulties Deter but as in most latin mottos usually translate to many ways

There we are - straight from the horse's mouth. It only took 8 years. Is this a record?

My regimental motto, The Highland Light Infantry , translates- " Touch me not with impunity". There ain't no easy ones.:smile:

Back