Most useful four wheeled vehicle.

--

September 21st, 2011  
Yossarian

Topic: Most useful four wheeled vehicle.

Simple question out of curiosity, what could be considered the most useful four wheeled military utility vehicle?

Simple questions tie into this topic.

How reliable is it?
What can you do with it?
How adaptible to various mission requirements is it?And how easliy can you do this?
How much stuff can you throw on it?

And....is it fun to drive?

Pretty much any general information and pics would make this thread very interesting.

Simple and sweet,

Yo
September 21st, 2011  
headwards

Ill start off by suggesting a land rover? The 4 litre version. We traded them for pinzies years ago but apparently they were awesome.
September 21st, 2011  
42RM

Land Rover is also my choice.

The SAS used Rovers for many years and you'll know the guys, they canīt settle for a standard model, everything is built on.

I myself have driven Land Rovers and it is a very robust vehicle, very flexible in terms of the type of equipment you can put in or on it. Excellent terrain characteristics. All in all, a very versatile vehicle.
--
September 21st, 2011  
SigJohnson

+1 for the Rover
September 21st, 2011  
Yossarian

After a little research I now find myself wanting a land rover....
September 21st, 2011  
grey shadow

Some more info.

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...BB1eEqNe1L7qYA
September 21st, 2011  
Yossarian

I should have not started this thread, as I see this may lead to bad finacial descions....could you buy a surplus?...

I mean look at all the stuff you can do with it....
September 22nd, 2011  
Big_Z

A land rover would have the drive train ripped out of it if it tried to do what a humvee could. Don't get me wrong, they are good trucks but not as bulletproof as a purpose built military grade humvee.
September 22nd, 2011  
84RFK

As much as I despise British motor industry, I still aknowledge the fact that the Land Rovers has been running since the late 1940's and is still on (and off) the road today.
A quite simple and versatile vehicle suited for most tasks, and easy to repair.

As I have next to no experience with the Humvee, I couldn't judge it by any means, but the one thing I know for sure is that the 6,5 litre diesel is a nightmare when it comes to maintainance and repair.
If the electronics are OK the engines works fine, and can take a suprisingly great deal of beating, but it doesn't lend itself to field repair.

The idea of removing all the high-pressure fuel lines in a dusty environment in order to reach the valve-cover....Ouch!
October 11th, 2011  
LeEnfield

You can buy a Land Rover for the fraction of the cost of a Humvee. A Land Rover can get most places if driven sensibly a Humvee may take more punishment but you had better not get to far from a filling station as it drinks petrol by the bucket full