Most underated? - Page 8

April 27th, 2009  
I remember reading a few accounts of how the Turkish soldier was percieved by the west before the Great War. I think the Turks lost to the Balkan armies in 1911 to 1913. ( not sure of the dates). The west seriously underestimated the Turk soldier. Gallipoli and the siege of Kut and the surrender of Sir Charles Townsend in 1915, proved the Turkish soldier was equal to the soldiers of the west.
I think the under estimation goes back to the Crimean War where Turkish troops were considered "sub-par" yet history seems to have become so engrossed in the actions of the Light Brigade that it completely overlooked th
May 7th, 2009  
Ice Tea
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
My choice....Orde Wingate. Here is a real old ball. he helped defeat the Italians in North Africa and captured huge numbers of them. He also help in the formation of the LRDG. He went off to Burma and set up the Chindits to take the fight to Japanese. He was killed in a plane crash in Burma and is buried in Arlington Cemetery.
Indeed. In addition to this, Orde Wingate used his expertise to create and train the Special Night Squads, an elite unit of night raiders who performed reprisal attacks. In imparting his knowledge to some members who would later become high ranking officers (such as Moshe Dayan, the fourth Chief of the General Staff), Wingate had made a considerable contribution to the development of the IDF. The most prominent health and fitness center in Israel, Wingate Institute, is named after him.

Speaking of which, there is also Mickey Marcus. He donated from his extensive knowledge as a U.S Colonel to the highly inexperienced Haganah (preceded the IDF, it means "Defense") during the 1948 Israeli War of Independence, creating a strong foundation of military proficiency that would serve Israel for the years to follow. He became Israel's first General. Unfortunately, as he returned to his base one night, the guard stationed outside the gates, who didn't recognize him (the guard was new and Marcus wore no ranks at that moment), told him in Hebrew to say the password. Marcus did not understand what the guard was saying and responded in English. As he approached closer to the gate, the guard shot him, and he died.