Most Trying Times in American History

When was the Most Trying Times in American History?

• Now

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Vietnam and the culture revolution of the time

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • The Cold War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • World War II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Great Depression

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • World War I

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The Civil War

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • The Revolutionary War

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

I am copying this poll from a study done with college history professors. 2500 surveys were sent to schools throughout the US, 354 professors responded. THey were asked to pick the most trying times in American history from a list of events, all being wars except the Great Depression. 46% of those professors said the current times were trhe easiest. The article went on to say young people thought these times were the most trying

http://www.siena.edu/sri/TryingTimes.asp

Anyways, this looks like it could be good debate, so I am bringing the survey to the forums.

Last edited:
I voted for the Civil War. Though I was born during World War II and lived thru the top three of this poll, including serving in VietNam, I feel that the Civil War was the most trying in terms of the nation. It was brother against brother, a stuggle to determine if the country would even exist, the issue of slavery, the rights of the States vs the Federal government. My parents would probably have picked the great Depression, and lord, have I heard enough stories about that.

Having been initiated into history the summer at my Grandma's farm where I was "forced" to read John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" I would, even after all that I have read, studied and comtemplated still, opt for the Great Depression. It may not have been war but it was, to my understanding, a far more difficult struggle. There was no enemy to rally against to raise morale when you hit the skids. You had nothing and neither did anyone else. Standing in lines for free soup day after day. I think it broke people's confidence and pride like nothing a war could do. With a war, even a war that divides families as even the Civil AND Revolutionary war (See Benjamin Franklin and his son), you have a cause greater than yourself in which you can seek refuge from the darkness.

Last edited:
I voted for the Revolution.

The Battle of Trenton showed how bad things really were for the newly formed nation. Horatio Gates and George Washington were engaged in a power struggle. Washington had crossed the Deleware and was fearful of a British attack. He sent word to Gates to come at all possible speed. Gates did anything but. Coorespondence with Gates showed he hoped Washington would be defeated so he could take control of the army. Eveuntually Gates, with 800 men, met up with Washington. Washington's situation was dire. He was a breath away from losing his army. As his army marched to attack, blood trails were left in the snow by those who did not have boots. By the grace of God, he won at Trenton and kept the flame of the Revolution going. Talk about being so close to failure.

Another trying time was right before the election of 1800. President Adams had used public reaction to the XYZ Affair along with the siezure of American ships by the British and French to get funds for an Army and Navy approved. Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of War, started to interview potential army officers on thier political views. He hoped to put federalist officers incharge of the army. This way, the Army would be more than willing to quell the political opposition of Jefferson and the Virginia Republicans. Talk about some crazy things going on. The election of 1800 is another crazy item. But I will save that for another day.

I voted for Vietnam and the Cultural Revolution of the time.

Vietnam was a war that America could have, should have, and would have won if not for the biased, irresponsible reporting and the "Who gives a damn, let's get high" attitude of the time. The Tet Offensive was the "overwhelming" victory that the military needed to bring the war to the enemy, after the offensive the Viet Cong were all but destroye,d their most elite unit, the Viet Cong 9th Division, had been completely destroyed when they attacked Saigon, the NVA units sent into the south were also decimated. This was for all essential purposes a rout by the US and South Vietnamese Forces, all points were retaken within two weeks, the Viet Cong were forced to retreat from South Vietnam with the exception of a handful of locations. This was a complete mility victory for the US and South Vietnam yes this battle would be the beginning of the end for the US and all because the average American can not handle the truth of warfare, it is bloody, shit happens, things don't go as planned.

Vietnam was a military victory for the US, our military did everything that was asked of it and more. On the political spectrum however it was a loss because the people at home could not understand what was going on and irresponsible reporting led to believe one outcome when the opposite was true. (And people wonder why I don't believe what the media is reporting on Iraq.)

After withdrawing from Vietnam the people refused to take responsibility for their actions and pinned the loss on the military. If ever there was a time that the military could have over thrown the government it was after Vietnam, when they were unfairly blamed for that loss. Not till Desert Storm was the military able to forget Vietnam and move on, and now certain law makers are getting a little liberal in throwing around the "V" word when describing Iraq. (Even though only three members of the House recently voted to stay in Iraq.)

I was split between Vietnam and the great depression. I felt the great depression more than any other time in American history including all of our wars threatend our general way of life as much as the great depression did.

I see all the events listed as trying times but The Great Depression is my vote. The New Deal politics and political means taken to bring the US economy back on track and then soon after meet the outbreak of World War II with such outstanding courage and determination is one of a kind in modern history.

Choice is very simple

My choice is very simple (and personal) -

Vietnam

I can remember almost every single second of that period with unusual clarity. I came through Chicago O'hare airport in the spring of 62/63 and had a HariKrishna broad step directly into my path and accuse me of being a baby killer (I was in uniform and was carrying my duffel bag). Before I'd gone another fifty feet, some other greasy haired bimbo spat in my direction. If not for the fact that I was trying to make connections for a short leave, the story could have had a very different ending (my temper was shorter then and I just didn't give a damn). About the only response I made to either of these two simpletons was to raise the "single war eagle" (finger) to both of them and continue on my way.

It was a trying time for me because of personal losses that took part during that damn war. Friends, fellow warriors, buddies - none were spared.

(Only my wife knows the nightmares).

NONE OF THE OTHER CHOICES EVEN RISE TO MY NOTICE.

Last edited:
Wars are terrible things, but the most utterly hopeless and all-around bad time in US history would have definitely been the Great Depression. The nation went from being about on the same level of prosperity as we see today (minus all the technology of course), and it dropped way way down. Starvation was widespread and almost nobody had work or money or much of anything at all.

Right now.

America is dropping into the abyss faster than a 16oz sinker. What makes it so trying for a few of us, is that we see the how and why, and are powerless to stop it. Most Americans fall into one of 3 groups. Those that are working to bring it down and those that they control, those that see whats happening but can't effect the changes needed to stop it, and the other 80% that are nothing more than sheeple who parrot whatever agenda their particular group is putting forth if they bother to do anything at all.

The Flu Epidemic came after the war, it was brought over from Europe by troops who were returning home after the war.

The US civil war by 10 miles.

It caused over a million military casulties and something like 800,000 people died. Major urban centers where in ruins. The country was ready to collapse into oblivion.

By far the most tramatic event in US history.

No other disastor, social upheaval or war begins to approach it.

Bugfatty was closer to the true figures.

His figure of a million casualties (wounded) and 800,000 (deaths) fall more closely with the estimates which are on record with the war department and other historical museum/battlefield sites.

I realize that his posting looks like he was saying that there were one million military deaths etc - but the figures I have found are more in line with the way I posted them.

If someone can come up with better sources, I would be interested in checking them out. I disremember where I found these figures - I am somewhat interested in the Civil War and looked up information about various battles etc and came across battlefield figures and as I remember, the above numbers sound close to the correct ones.

Bottom line - casualties were high on both sides with the south suffering the higher numbers.

Sorry, I read it as 1,000,000 military casualties and 800,000 civilian deaths. I was going to say 670,000 deaths but decided to be as general as possible.

Back