Most successful military commander. - Page 8

--

May 6th, 2009  
aprilangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
Well April with me it would probably be the case of ""The best-laid plans of mice and men/often go awry," its easy to win being an armchair general with hindsight!

As I mentioned in my last post, perhaps luck has more to do with success than we give credit for. Perhaps the Great generals are those that can see through the 'fog of war', and can glimpse the forest rather than being distracted by the trees.
See that's what I mean!!!!

Yes indeed, Lucidity and Fortuitousness are wonderful things to have in those with such commanding greatness, momentarily or not, I agree. I think Wisdom is also. Cheers!
May 6th, 2009  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilangel

It does kinda make me think though, I wonder what the likes of Perseus, MontyB or BritianAfrica (to name a few with frequent prespectives here), would have been like as Commanders back in the times of say Alexander, Napoleon and Caesar.
I'd hand over to my 2 i/c and spend all my time in the mess getting legless

Maybe thats the reason I was never an officer lol.
May 6th, 2009  
aprilangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I'd hand over to my 2 i/c and spend all my time in the mess getting legless

Maybe thats the reason I was never an officer lol.
Well...you leave me no choice then...will have to rule out Alexander for you then BritinAfrica eh, well at least until he came of age to be in that particular kind of lucid state! Haha! Just being cheeky sorry Haha!
--
May 7th, 2009  
Partisan

I think that I'll get off the fence & vote for Genghis Khan, or Order Wingate or Julius Caesar, or Napoleon - back on the fence again, no it's definitely Genghis Khan!
May 7th, 2009  
BootStomp

Hanniable, by far, not only was he a student of Alexander The Greats works he studied his battles and then did the same thing, just with his own moves added in. Alexander would have been my Key Choice really but that is to obvious lol, so I choose someone that is not an easy seat for first.

However the leader of the Mogols would have been a good choice as well.
May 7th, 2009  
aprilangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootStomp
...so I choose someone that is not an easy seat for first...
You might have hit the nail on the head there bootstomp!!

...as what's that you say...an UNDERDOG eh!

Well love or hate him, through history he has been known to be a most successful military commander, at times, and in more ways than one.

As whether he has won or lost, whatever he has given or taken...so his opposser does too! So goes the Economy of the Underdog.

But eh...that's likely pretty obvious though hey...lol!!
May 26th, 2009  
LeEnfield

I think that a Great Commander is one who walks away at the end of a row of Battles with out losing and is who is master of the Battlefields and dies of old age many years later in bed in a country of his choosing. There are not all that many that can say that.
May 27th, 2009  
Solideo

I always admired Annibal.
May 29th, 2009  
BootStomp

Well I would say Hannible for defeating a force twice the size of him with his Elphants playing a little role then getting a long so much farther than the romans wanted, then before they could kill him. Takes his life as the last Middle Finger in the Romans eye.
May 29th, 2009  
LeEnfield

It was mentioned that during Victoria's reign her troops were in action the whole time, well when you come to think about during Queen Elizabeth 11 reign which has lasted so far for 57 years her troops have been in action for 56 years and the only year they missed out on was 1967 if I remember rightly