Most significant technological improvement in each war? - Page 2

--

December 23rd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Topic: Re: Most significant technological improvement in each war?

WWII: Effective designs and correct usage of tanks. Nobody lacking decent numbers and designs of tanks was successful vs anybody who did. The USA could make all the Liberty Ships they wanted, but without tanks they would have never have succeeded at anything. Also, it was because of the correct usage of tanks that Germany was able to come out victorious against seemingly unsurmoutable odds.

On the Pacific/Asia side -- tanks were not used well on the continent. Not terribly useful for island battles. Aircraft Carriers were probably the most significant new things on those fronts.

WWI: The French 75 breachloading cannon I can agree -- was certainly one of the most significant. Other strong candidates include: Bigger and better machine guns. Chemical Warfare. Landmines.

Pre-WW1 Conflicts The HMS Dreadnaught so radically altered the design of warships and navies that everyone was forced to hurriedly scramble to update their naval arsenals.

100 Years War English Longbow

Mongolian Conquests Mongolian composite/recurve shortbow, and the idea of an army composed of nothing but cavalry.

Greece City-States vs Persia Wars The Phallanx. It was a concept that would continue to stun the world for centuries to come - in various forms.
December 23rd, 2004  
Bellerophon

WW2...how about radar?
December 23rd, 2004  
The Grill Instructor

And how about the research of Wernherr von Braun in rocket technology ?

I donīt think spacecrafts like the shuttles would be existing today without him continuing his work in NM and Huntsville.

But Radar is also a good example. Also the jet engines would be a good thing to remember.

T.G.I.
--
December 23rd, 2004  
03USMC

American Civil War- General issue of rifled muskets virtually ended Napoleonic style formations.

WWII- Long Range Heavy payload Bombers.

WWI - I agree with the French 75mm. But would also add the wide spread use of Submarines to attack shipping.

Korea- First major use of jet powered military aircraft in combat as a major part of an air force.
December 23rd, 2004  
Charge 7

Godofthunder I asked that you limit it to 4 conflicts and you listed 6. Also, you could make all the tanks you want but if the Liberty ships hadn't delivered them in significant quantities it wouldn't have mattered. Ask any tank crewman who served in a Sherman in WWII. The only way they could defeat German armor was by mass of numbers. It took three or four Shermans to defeat one Tiger. Fortunately US production was able to make that many and the liberty ships enabled them to get there.
December 23rd, 2004  
A Can of Man

Logistics is a big part of war. Never to be taken for granted. There's no point in having the best unit in the world if you can't deploy and sustain it.
December 23rd, 2004  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Logistics is a big part of war. Never to be taken for granted. There's no point in having the best unit in the world if you can't deploy and sustain it.
It's the most important part of war IMO. You could argue that WW2 was won and lost on the correct application of logistics.
December 23rd, 2004  
A Can of Man

That's a real good point.
But I also believe that the quality of troops and equipment is also key. It gets kind of weird when you can send troops over there but they just keep getting their @$$es kicked.