Most Powerful Nation Ever...

IrishWizard

Who do you think has been the most powerful nation, at one time, in the history of mankind? Doesn't matter what era, just who you think was the most powerful and influential in its time.

I think, if going by just landmass its easily the Mongolian Empire. They could of conquered the world if the Generals hadn't of gone back home when they heard Genghis Khan died.

Gee..if it was just all round powerful..id have to say england with its navy. Britanica practically controlled the seas for 300 years..colonised, and had a saying that the sun never set on the britsh empire.

Yep, id say England or Great Britain.

Yeah that was my second choice. They just were so powerful but another nation that comes into mind is the Roman Empire. They influenced the world greatly and were very powerful in there time. Its pretty crazy to think of how diverse some of the most powerful nations in there time were. You have the barbaric, deadly Mongolians. Then the precise and no mercy Romans. Then the perfection, and exactness of military with the British. Now the Americans who just kick ass :p

Id have vto say great Britain, i mean, believe or not, they came closer to total world dominance than any other nation in history

I'd say it's a tossup between the old UK, and the USA/USSR. Yes the Royal Navy commanded the seas for like 3 centuries, but they never had the ability to start the process of "Global Extinction" in 15 minutes

correction, marksman, the roman empire was large, but it was for the mast part confined to the meditteranian erea, and Briton

about face said:
Id have vto say great Britain, i mean, believe or not, they came closer to total world dominance than any other nation in history
If the United States wanted, we could have had almost total world dominance after World War II. However, since we are not like the Romans or Age of Imperialism Brits, we decided to give the land back. :D :rambo: :D

Ah I don't want to answer that cause Im positive that everyone here has a different view on that question. I think Ethiopia is the most powerful nation!!! Those sticks and stones are scary =o

Now dont poo poo ethiopia too quickly...they did a pretty bang up job on the italians before they got hit with the chemichal agents and such by benitos mob.

Besides...i heard they got an ark. ;)

about face said:
:eek:fftopic:but why has america gotn this superhero-neverhurt-anyone-view

Simple, the US Constitution doesnt allow the government to start a war unless to defend the country or aid foreign countries.

Back on topic, Britain did control most of the world during that time period and is still a world power today.

I just have to mention that we (the Dutch) weren't pushovers in those days either. We had some quarrels with the Brits back then, and they didn't always come out on top. We also had some nice colonies all over the world. We founded Nieuw Amsterdam, which was later sold to England, who renamed it New York.

I definitely think the USA right now is the most powerful nation ever. Give me one flight of F-16's against any army ever, even up through WWII, and I'd put my money on the Falcons. Then you factor in Smart Bombs, Aircraft Carriers, M1 tanks, and Delta Force, and we dominate. :rambo:

Young 1 said:
I definitely think the USA right now is the most powerful nation ever. Give me one flight of F-16's against any army ever, even up through WWII, and I'd put my money on the Falcons. Then you factor in Smart Bombs, Aircraft Carriers, M1 tanks, and Delta Force, and we dominate. :rambo:
The point was to compare them with other countries in the same period.

Young 1 said:

You forgot the kung fu samurai Rangers.

If we're talking in a conquest sense, I'd have to say the Mongolian Empire. They did control most of the known world at the time.

In an economic sense, however, the United States would dominate. The US pretty much controls the Global Economy. If my intel is correct, Ft. Knox holds the worlds gold bullion.

Back