Most Powerful Nation Ever...

During Medieval times, and this is completely over looked, "the Great Kahn" of Mongolia was most likely from all accounts the most powerful man on earth, the only reason he didnt reach France and possibly the shores of Great Britain was because he died of a disease in the process of attacking Europe. His empire was vast and stretched from Japan through India and China up in to the "Principalities of Novgorod" Poland, modern Turkey and the "Holy Roman Empire." The reason he was so good was because his horsemen were very fast in taking out strategic places and crops and nobody could keep up with them. Also one other interesting fact is that you know the South American peoples such as the Aztecs, Mayans etc the only reson they were defeated by the Spanish who were only in very very small numbers is because the Aztecs were fighting to capture and not hurt badly atall so they got massacred and it took a very long while for the Aztecs to cotton on to killing rather than capturing by which time they were almost on their knees. It would have been highly likely that if the Aztecs had killed rather than captured from the start the Spanish would have stood no chance in those jungles and hot wet climates so they would be defeated fairly easily. If the spanish had tried another large attack which is also very unlikely half their ships would have been destroyed on the way to South America by the sea and badly mapped areas of sea and the rest killed in South America by the local peoples.

Marksman said:
roman empire,they DID conqusted a half of the world :lol:

I have to agree. When you consider the technological level of the Romans, it is incredible what they did more so than the Brit's.

GodofThunder asked, what technology does america posess that noone else has?

Answeres..
1. True Stealth Aircraft
2. ICBM's with multi space launch warheads (Soviets never figured that one out.)
3. Digitally linked command structure for ground troops.
4. Star Wars Program, Missile Deterrence System(Well Almost :twisted: )
5. Mcdonalds on every street corner.
6. Last but not least,, I swear were the only ones whove figured out how to mass produce armpit deodorant! :(

Ps.. You also need to ask yourself Godofthunder, what has America invented? I dont think any one nation historically has invented more things tha america has that are still used today. Also, the Romans borrowed most of thier technology from other civilizations. They just mass produced the products of that technology. Aquaducts were used 2000 years before rome even existed. Roads? How do you invent a road? Democracy? NOpe. Borrowed from the Greeks. So what did Rome invent?

Sorry, that was a bit off-topic. But the question at hand is who was most powerful. In my humble opinion, I would have to say the Romans. England never really dominated the World. Just a few key places. Most of thier impire was spread through the Pacific. They couldn't even beat a bunch of scruffy looking poor farmers in the New World! The Romans however, defeated all of the powerful civilizations at the time. They defeated the entire mediterranean, most of mainland Europe, and Britain. Never got those Scottish bastards or Germans though. :x

1. Most powerful militarily ever- Tie between Rome of 200AD and USA of today.
2. Most influential powerful Civ-Has to be England of 18th-19th centuries. England spread its influence and culture all over the World which will be continued with Americas dominance.

Honorable mentions-Mongols(They just killed a lot of peasants)
Greeks- maybe would have been ultimate if Alexander not died early.
French- LOL just kidding. :lol:

But invention is not the question at hand. Just because you invent a thing does not make you a more powerful nation. It is they who invent and use, borrow and use, borrow and improve upon ... those are the nations that will be powerful. The Greeks invented much of what lead to Roman success, but it becomes irrelevant. Rome did a better job of exploiting Greek science and concepts than the Greeks did.

They didn't invent the road, they just made one better than anyone else had up to that point. They didn't invent the aquaduct, but they put them all over the place. They didn't invent construction, they just did so much of it that it boggles the mind.

godofthunder, I will agree with your re-statement about technology. You didn't state that earlier though.

Ps. Still no takers on deodorant?

Maybe he thinks I'm a Communists or from the USSR or something? Beats me. Perhaps its one those things where the Cold War is just so hard to let go of. :roll:

The Other Guy said:
Okay, I admit that that was a little profound. I was half asleep when I wrote it. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

It's alright man...

I have to agree with LeatherNeckRVA and say post WWII U.S.A also. Whether brief or long, we had more surperiority over the world then anyone at any single time. Second place= U.K

I don't know if anyone else said this before but it's very easy to answer this. The United States at the end of ww2 was by far the most powerful nation ever for one reason they had the atomic bomb. Directly after the war the USA could have done as they wanted.

Yup, post WW2 USA. Besides having the bomb, our economy was virtually untouched by the war. We were just getting into high gear when the war ended. Our manpower wasn't even tapped to capacity yet. The russians on the other hand were economically strapped by wars end. Besides being broke, they had no more manpower reserves to throw into any kind of large conflict.

USA 1
UK 2
France 3 (Just Kidding :twisted: )

LeatherNeckRVA you are wrong to say that USA was the only one with the A bomb. USSR also had the A bomb but they weren't ready to cowardly drop them on Japanese or Germans. I say the USA took a cowardly way out by dropping the A-bombs. Also you should learn that USSR had the most superiority in the water, and is still does. USA hasnt gone throw wut USSR did during the WW2. If you look at the army strength before the WW2,USSR was the strongest nation, with it's Red Army be its side, it was unstoppable as proved during the WW2.

Back