Most Powerful Nation Ever...

Damien435 said:
I would have to say it was Ancient Greece under Alexander the Great

I think Alexander was Macedonian and his father conquered Greece. So it was Macedonia with the "help" of greeks who did the conquering. 8)

I think after Mongol Empire, it should be the former "Great Britain" with the superior guns. One 100 warriors on horses with swords cannot defeat a squad of British soldiers with guns :D

But Mongol warriors should get the most credit, they conquered the world on horses with swords not machine guns :D

I say the Roman Empire. They had a massive empire that controlled nearly half of the known world for almost a millenium protected from invaders and barbarians by one of the most elite armies of the ancient world.

I would have to go with britain as it controlled 1/4 of the world at the start of the 20th century, without britain colonising america the USA would not be as it is today, it defeated france and spain on many occasions around the world, it left english as one of the worlds most spoken languages, it had a stable empire through many centuries, it had a highly disciplined army and navy, was the first nation to have a stand alone airforce!

After britain i would have to go rome!

FlyingFrog said:
...I think after Mongol Empire, it should be the former "Great Britain" with the superior guns. One 100 warriors on horses with swords cannot defeat a squad of British soldiers with guns :D.../quote]

The joke was on the British when their bullets ran out at Islandwanda, Natal Province, Africa. 1400 soldiers ran into 30,000 Zulu warriors armed only with shields and spears...and the british died in their little squares to almost the last man.

Don't know if horse would have allowed the british to have gotten out of that one or not. :D

Then of course, in american history, 240 US soldiers armed with weapons and ammunition bought from the lowest bidder were no match for 4000 Indian warriors that could at least steal decent weapons and ammunition to wipe out the soldiers... :D

:::::Little Off Topic:::::

First of all pretty much ingage in war they dont need to have it pass through everything. A president can send how ever many troops to say Sudan for a "policing action" like vietnam which everyone knows wasnt a policing action. I have no idea why america has this "superhero" status considering in the next 10 years are economy is going to be woth :cen: because the Euro is becomming more valuable then the american dollar.

"If the United States wanted, we could have had almost total world dominance after World War II. However, since we are not like the Romans or Age of Imperialism Brits, we decided to give the land back. :D :rambo: :D"

Major problem when a major nation has a major delusion of power.

I agree with the notion of the Roman empire being one of the most influential of it's times. Considering how vast it got (for it's time, you still had to send men from one end to the other to communicate!) and how much it accomplished before the dark ages began.

However, I'd say ranked up there would also be Natzie germany. This is due to the fact that a little nation like germany managed to pull out of eneconomic debt to well, about half the world, and then become a major threat to the rest of the world that was barely stopped.

i would go with Britian , i man from historical accounts iv heard britian controled 25% of the worlds population of the time they not only had the most powerfull navy ,they also had one of the best trained armys around and only a few hundred held on to there colonies against spanish and freanch attacks, they also made the world what it is today, english is spoken the world over and it the language of bussines the formaer empire now consists of the most richest contries in the world ,and all this was done in 3 centuries. now if that isnt great i dont know what is :)

Although the British Empire is impressive, I would have to cast my vote for the Roman Empire. My reason:
1.) They controlled as much of the world as the wanted to control.
2.) They lasted 1000 years, which is historically unheard of.
3.) They were so far superior to every power that existed during their time of dominance, its simply crazy. (By the way, i think someone said one of these was the Mongols. The Mongols were in the 1200's, well after Rome power.)
4.) They were absolutely unquestioned rulers of all they decided to dominate.

The British Empire, closely followed by the Roman Empire.

France also had a pretty big 'empire' during the Napoleonic wars. From what I remember the Aztecs also had a large empire.

The joke was on the British when their bullets ran out at Islandwanda, Natal Province, Africa. 1400 soldiers ran into 30,000 Zulu warriors armed only with shields and spears...and the british died in their little squares to almost the last man.

30,000 and only spears in the same sentence...

Lets look at the maths....

1400 vs 30,000

odds of 20 - 1....

The British did not run out of ammo at Isandalwana. The problem was overheating in the MArtini-Henry rifle that caused the cartridges to expand and jam the gun.

Had we had Enfields it would have been a different story.

And lets not forget Rorkes Drift!

120 vs 8,000

Most VCs in one action...

Yeah, throughout their greatest dominance, the British Empire always had a rival that was almost as powerful (the French, etc.) The Romans, after Carthage was wiped out, were without any real rival for hundreds of years.

In shear area conquerred, the Mongols outdo everyone. True, the Brits have it for population % controlled, but their control was somewhat passive in many instances.

British Empire
Roman Empire

Both of these had profound effects on future generations and countries and had the largest spheres of influence.

But I have to say Greece probably could've risen up to challenge had it not fallen because it had technological advantages.

But the most powerful country ever: British Empire
Most powerful country now: United States of America

Roman Empire.

They had tactics that the British Empire havn't even heard of.

And they were the ones riding the evolution-wave, they were the first ones to develope and use new weapons in combat.

:::OFF TOPIC::: (well a bit)

My Great (x4) Grandad fought at Rorkes Drift, he was 15 years old, the same age as me now! He brought back the flag and was lucky to survive.

The Zulu's also took drugs which made them fearless, full of energy, and made them look as though they were dying, the drug would kill them in the end though.

Plus, the heat must have been unbearable, when the weather is extreme like that, I doubt you'd be too interested in the battle ahead of you, i.e you would be distracted.

It was also Zulu land, their home country, and they were fighting for it, moral and atittude matters a lot at a time like that.

Islandwanda is an excellent example of why I don't consider the British Empire to be the greatest nation ever. Its one of many examples of the fact that they were not firmly in control of their empire.

The Romans wrapped their empire in roads and other improvements, dramatically changing the lives of the people they had conquerred. What they held, they held without question. To the Roman's view, doing what the British did toward world conquest would seem silly. Alexander the Great's empire faded away all the more quickly by trying to conquer EVERYTHING, so why bother with it? Take what you want and firmly establish your control over it. Leave the rest be. Doing so lasted 1000 years, and if you consider that the Byzantine Empire was just the natural continuation of the Roman, then it lasts for almost 2000 years. Running off to conquer the planet was simply not a reasonable undertaking for them at that time. They took everything that the Greeks could have used to succeed, and by improving upon it, they created their own success.

I think that the question of Rome vs Great Britain becomes a difficult question. How do we qualify "Most Powerful"?

In terms of "The Most Overwhelming Militarily", I'd have to pick the Monguls over any other. Romans would be the it for lasting comparative dominance. Britain is an interesting mix of the two.

I'd love to say it was GB, but the US is the only 'Hyper' Power we have ever seen. You have got to put GB and the US 1 and 2 or round the other way.

I'm going to go with the U.S... One word : nuke

Edit *

The most surpremacy over any one nation at a time, no other nation in the world had anything on us for four years (USSR detonatets nuke in 1949).

Back