Most Powerful Nation Ever...

Mark Conley said:
Now dont poo poo ethiopia too quickly...they did a pretty bang up job on the italians before they got hit with the chemichal agents and such by benitos mob.

Yep that's right sir... we were almost kicked out the country at the time.

Anyways I'd say the Romans, or Gengis Khan and his Mongolians. Britain has been the strongest superpower of all times though. Just think of how long it lasted: the US has been there for little longer than 50 yrs only. For my part, I wish it will stay where it is at for longer than any other.

LCDR_SurfWar said:
If the United States wanted, we could have had almost total world dominance after World War II. However, since we are not like the Romans or Age of Imperialism Brits, we decided to give the land back. :D :rambo: :D

Yeah right :lol:
I really hope that was a joke :?

But my opinion from the greatest empire of the all time would be Rome.

1217 said:
I just have to mention that we (the Dutch) weren't pushovers in those days either. We had some quarrels with the Brits back then, and they didn't always come out on top. We also had some nice colonies all over the world. We founded Nieuw Amsterdam, which was later sold to England, who renamed it New York.

correction, 1217, the Brits took new amsterdam by force, although not a single shot was fired; the dutch people surrendered because they didnt like their leader because he was a bad tempered tyrant. and by the way, during that time Great Britain didnt buy; they took!!! :m16shoot: :9mm: :2guns: :biggun:

I'd go with the British. Since their existence and all that I know of them, they have Helped with the creation of the United States and withstood the German Wermacht plus many other nations they helkped develop. Besides all that, most of the world speaks english.

soldierzhonor said:
...they have Helped with the creation of the United States...

If you mean by creating a people willing and able to go accross the ocean and start a country of their own and grow to be the most powerful nation in the world I agree with you. ;)

Seriously though, what do you mean? I'm afraid I don't quite follow you there.

Marksman said:
Mongolians(from mongolia to Rome) :horsie:
first could they be called a nation :?: and second for what time did they have that great power - compared to Rome they just don't classify.
So my favourite is Rome - they had the power to maintain peace throughout the empire for longer than some empires existed ;) consider this factor too :)

first could they be called a nation and second for what time did they have that great power - compared to Rome they just don't classify.
So my favourite is Rome - they had the power to maintain peace throughout the empire for longer than some empires existed consider this factor too
Nation or not,they kicked some seriuous ass in rome :horsie:

FutureRANGER said:
soldierzhonor said:
...they have Helped with the creation of the United States...

If you mean by creating a people willing and able to go accross the ocean and start a country of their own and grow to be the most powerful nation in the world I agree with you. ;)

Seriously though, what do you mean? I'm afraid I don't quite follow you there.

What I meant was it was the British Colonies before it was the United States. I say helped, because of course, it was the melting pot and not strictly British colonials. :)

No question, Ancient Greece under Alexander the Great. They conquered the entire known world, the Mongolians knew that their was more land ahead of them, the Greek soldiers refused to continue on threw India for because they did not know what was beyond that. The Mongolians had the largest empire, but they could never get another army like the one Genghis had used to conquer Asia and Russia. The Brits had their Navy, but their were other countries with large navies who, if they banded together, may have overpowered Britain. And as for those who say Nazi Germany was the strongest ever, not even close, they lasted 12 years, the largest extent of their conquered lands lasted only months, and when all these factors are taken in, the US, sad to say, doesn't really content with these other countries.

The romans were powerful but I dont think they deserve the title of most powerful. The Goths took out there capital Rome along with other major cities. I mean thats kind of pothetic when a tribe that you once wiped out is now taking over your capital. I dont think any nation had been more powerful then other superpowers because if you look at it now the USA is the most powerful but we could not defeat the vietcong and we could be easily taken out by the russians or some other counrty if they have the right tactics. Its all on tactics not power so much except for the civil war. The north sucked but they had the production and the men to fight. If the south had the factories and the man power then we would be split up into 2 countries.

DontEatAnAnimal said:
. I dont think any nation had been more powerful then other superpowers because if you look at it now the USA is the most powerful but we could not defeat the vietcong and we could be easily taken out by the russians or some other counrty if they have the right tactics.

please see the topic "Why the US could win in Viet Nam" That I am starting.

Thanks for the post! :D

Most definitely Britain. For a long while it was called the nation that the 'sun never set on' because it had colonies EVERYWHERE.

I would have to say it was Ancient Greece under Alexander the Great, they conquered the known world and then kept going. No one else can claim that, Rome can claim to have conquered half the known world, England did control the seas for quite awhile, but non of them had gone so far that their troops refused to keep going for fear of what lay beyond the horizon, they ruled from Spain to India, crushing all those who stood against them. First thing we did in my Physics class was my teacher asked everyone who was 18 to stand up, he then told them they had 4 years to conquer the whole world, and our first day of physics was spent talking about Ancient Greece.

I'd go with Rome.

I'm writing this from my head so I'm not exactly sure, but from the population point of view at the peak of its power Rome had about 52 million, China the 2nd largest at the same time had 8 million people.

So Rome probably ruled over more than 2/3 of the world population.

Back