Who is the Most Powerful Nation in Europe?

Who is the Most Powerful Nation in Europe?

• Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • United Kingdom

• France

• Sweden

• Norway

• Italy

• Turkey

• Ukraine

• Switzerland

• Finland

• Poland

• Belarus

• Romania

• Bulgaria

• Denmark

• Spain

• Austria

• Total voters

godofthunder9010

The question has far less relevance that it ever had before in the history of th world. Europe is learning that cooperation between the nations of Europe is the best policy and the likelihood of another massive world war breaking out between rival nations of Europe is getting smaller and smaller everyday.

Still, it is interesting to think about. Who possesses the greatest power? In the final balancing out of everything, who is the overall strongest?

Germany has a potent economy, high technology and is extremely motivated. France has excellent military technology - they have something superb in every category. Fighters, tanks, artillery, etc. France also has amazing cultural influence throughout the world. The United Kingdom has a powerful navy and one of the best standing militaries. Like France, they make superb examples of every sort of miiltary hardware. They are very active in the international scene. Their military is one of the best trained in the world. Russia has immense potential, a huge population and almost terrifying strength that carried over from the Cold War, but may not be the obvious choice because of their many internal problems.

I could go on and on fo course. There are many nations of Europe. Who has the greatest overall power -- so not "who can beat up who" but also consider who influences everyone more? Who leaves their mark in the world?

I'd have to say Germany, as they have the biggest economy and GDP, plus they have a great deal of influence within Europe. The UK would be 2nd as they have the best performing economy out of the major powers although they don't have the same influence as Germany. France would be 3rd.

Fairly obvious for those 3 IMO.

Doppleganger said:
I'd have to say Germany, as they have the biggest economy and GDP, plus they have a great deal of influence within Europe. The UK would be 2nd as they have the best performing economy out of the major powers although they don't have the same influence as Germany. France would be 3rd.

Well no , if a war would brake up between Russia and some of those nations, then Russia would win.Russia have a large amount of tanks,fighters,bombers,manpower,APC's,And Russia have some problems, but thez are decreasing, and cmon France... It was strong before WW2 too....

economy is not the most important thing in war.

Snauhi said:
Doppleganger said:

Well no , if a war would brake up between Russia and some of those nations, then Russia would win.Russia have a large amount of tanks,fighters,bombers,manpower,APC's,And Russia have some problems, but thez are decreasing, and cmon France... It was strong before WW2 too....

economy is not the most important thing in war.

How about morale?

In the parametres, the influence a country has to shape not only regional, but also international policies, also require consideration.

To this extent, UK, Russia and France would have a headstart and also because they are in the Permanent 5 at the UN.

Now try to keep this one clean, and don't let it end up in a who's best flamewar!

i do agree that russia has huge manpower etc..... but i would put UK and germany number 1, UK has the best trained force in the world. not to mention its technology and economy stabilty.

the UK army is full of well trained officers, in wartime, expanding its army wouldnt take too long and those new recruits would be lead by well educated officers.

remember what germany did to russia in WW1 and WW2?

Germany is teachnology one of the most advance country in the world. its weapons are also top quality. and germany has a military tradition. but pretty much, germany army is in a similar situation to UK's army.

"economy is not the most important thing in war."

Didn't work out that way in WWII did it? I'm with Doppleganger on this one.

Unemployment rate is staggering in Eastern Germany although there are signs of economic progress within that region. Although I wouldn't consider any nation in Europe most powerful as each country has its own unique identity.

also germany still need to pay reparations and also the treaty after WW2 have kept german army a low profile than it could of been. also germany have not spend much effort on its military compare with other countries in europe.

after germany joined the Euro currency, its economy hasnt done well as it could of been.

Germany was doing the best in Europe in so far as the economy went. In fact the Deutsche Mark was giving the Dollar a run for the money.

Its sorry state has only come after the re-unification for reasons best known that require no recalling.

The most interesting thing about the comparison is this: There is no obvious right answer. Europe is a place that has many nations that shine and many countries that are amazing in their own right. It is a collection of first-rate modern nations. Especially amonst the contries that were never part of the Communist Block, you seldom see one nation much greater than any other per capita.

The Most Powerful nation in Europe is not one nation, it a a large gathering of nations, of course this would be the emerging Europeon Union. As it stands it has the worlds largest gdp, more people than America, and very possibly a larger combined arm forces.

As for the others:

Germany: Powerful gdp but the army has limits

France: Nice fighters, however most of the rest of the army is getting
kinda old and outdated, after all you can only upgrade something so much before it needs to be scrapped

UK: Powerful Economy however it has lost some ground in the last 20-30 years, they have one of the better europeon navies though.

Italy: Nice economy however the armed forces could stand a nice upgrade

Spain: The economy is okay and the military is actualy pretty good looking.

Russia: technicly less than half of it is actualy in Europe

Cabal said:

Unemployment rate is staggering in Eastern Germany although there are signs of economic progress within that region. Although I wouldn't consider any nation in Europe most powerful as each country has its own unique identity.

Yeah, I know the problems of recombining the 2 Germany's have been much more difficult than Chancellor Kohl said they would be back in 1989. It's had a serious effect on the German economy to the extent that the UK economy is now the best performing economy in Europe. Also, by sacrificing the Deutschmark in favour of the Euro you've had to basically lower your standards to a common level so to suit some of the weaker European nations. That hasn't helped your economy either.

Darcia said:
Russia: technicly less than half of it is actualy in Europe
Well, technically, WAY over half of its population is in Europe. As a nation, they identify themselves more as a European nation than Asian. But true, they are part of both continents. :p

Germany was defeated by the Russians on the eastern front.

But France was not.

France was defeated mainly by the English during that time.
;)

I would suggest the scandinavian countries. They all have strong economies.
They might not ever be abel to form a force good enough for attacks but defense shouldn't be a problem, the terrain is great for guerilla warfare. An attacker would not be abel to take those countries over night.

its obviously russia, they have eneugh nukes to make the whole of europe follow its neighbour atlantis in sinking to the sea...
but of the true european countries...

id go with britain... they got well trained for and more testicular fortitude than france and germany put together...

then id say germany... they have more leos than brits have challengers and germany have leclercs combined... they have better weapons, and im certain they can fight much better than their immediate neighbours.

italy next...

Back