Who is the Most Powerful Nation in Europe?

View Poll Results :Who is the Most Powerful Nation in Europe?
Russia 9 18.75%
United Kingdom 16 33.33%
France 4 8.33%
Sweden 0 0%
Norway 2 4.17%
Germany 14 29.17%
Italy 1 2.08%
Turkey 0 0%
Ukraine 0 0%
Switzerland 1 2.08%
Finland 0 0%
Poland 0 0%
Belarus 0 0%
Romania 0 0%
Bulgaria 0 0%
Denmark 0 0%
Spain 1 2.08%
Austria 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

February 16th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Topic: Who is the Most Powerful Nation in Europe?

The question has far less relevance that it ever had before in the history of th world. Europe is learning that cooperation between the nations of Europe is the best policy and the likelihood of another massive world war breaking out between rival nations of Europe is getting smaller and smaller everyday.

Still, it is interesting to think about. Who possesses the greatest power? In the final balancing out of everything, who is the overall strongest?

Germany has a potent economy, high technology and is extremely motivated. France has excellent military technology - they have something superb in every category. Fighters, tanks, artillery, etc. France also has amazing cultural influence throughout the world. The United Kingdom has a powerful navy and one of the best standing militaries. Like France, they make superb examples of every sort of miiltary hardware. They are very active in the international scene. Their military is one of the best trained in the world. Russia has immense potential, a huge population and almost terrifying strength that carried over from the Cold War, but may not be the obvious choice because of their many internal problems.

I could go on and on fo course. There are many nations of Europe. Who has the greatest overall power -- so not "who can beat up who" but also consider who influences everyone more? Who leaves their mark in the world?
February 16th, 2005  
Doppleganger

I'd have to say Germany, as they have the biggest economy and GDP, plus they have a great deal of influence within Europe. The UK would be 2nd as they have the best performing economy out of the major powers although they don't have the same influence as Germany. France would be 3rd.

Fairly obvious for those 3 IMO.
February 16th, 2005  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
I'd have to say Germany, as they have the biggest economy and GDP, plus they have a great deal of influence within Europe. The UK would be 2nd as they have the best performing economy out of the major powers although they don't have the same influence as Germany. France would be 3rd.

Well no , if a war would brake up between Russia and some of those nations, then Russia would win.Russia have a large amount of tanks,fighters,bombers,manpower,APC's,And Russia have some problems, but thez are decreasing, and cmon France... It was strong before WW2 too....

economy is not the most important thing in war.
--
Boots
February 16th, 2005  
rOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger

Well no , if a war would brake up between Russia and some of those nations, then Russia would win.Russia have a large amount of tanks,fighters,bombers,manpower,APC's,And Russia have some problems, but thez are decreasing, and cmon France... It was strong before WW2 too....

economy is not the most important thing in war.
How about morale?
February 16th, 2005  
Peter Pan

In the parametres, the influence a country has to shape not only regional, but also international policies, also require consideration.

To this extent, UK, Russia and France would have a headstart and also because they are in the Permanent 5 at the UN.
February 16th, 2005  
Redleg

Now try to keep this one clean, and don't let it end up in a who's best flamewar!
February 16th, 2005  
gingerbeard

i do agree that russia has huge manpower etc..... but i would put UK and germany number 1, UK has the best trained force in the world. not to mention its technology and economy stabilty.

the UK army is full of well trained officers, in wartime, expanding its army wouldnt take too long and those new recruits would be lead by well educated officers.

remember what germany did to russia in WW1 and WW2?

Germany is teachnology one of the most advance country in the world. its weapons are also top quality. and germany has a military tradition. but pretty much, germany army is in a similar situation to UK's army.
February 16th, 2005  
Charge 7

"economy is not the most important thing in war."

Didn't work out that way in WWII did it? I'm with Doppleganger on this one.
February 16th, 2005  
CABAL

Quote:

Unemployment rate is staggering in Eastern Germany although there are signs of economic progress within that region. Although I wouldn't consider any nation in Europe most powerful as each country has its own unique identity.
February 16th, 2005  
gingerbeard

also germany still need to pay reparations and also the treaty after WW2 have kept german army a low profile than it could of been. also germany have not spend much effort on its military compare with other countries in europe.

after germany joined the Euro currency, its economy hasnt done well as it could of been.