most interesting head dress

Almost any new beret (especially that new recruits and/or high ranking officers use).

A beret needs som time to "settle down" in order to look good, but several new recruits and high ranking officers doesn't seem to care (or know) how to prepare a beret for first time use.

That's why they (the new berets) gets the nicknames "Carriers", "landing strips" or "pancakes"... :lol:

I think the most different head dress I have seen is Italian. During my service in Kosovo I met some Italian guys with some kind of knitted cap.

Redleg said:
Almost any new beret (especially that new recruits and/or high ranking officers use).

A beret needs som time to "settle down" in order to look good, but several new recruits and high ranking officers doesn't seem to care (or know) how to prepare a beret for first time use.

That's why they (the new berets) gets the nicknames "Carriers", "landing strips" or "pancakes"... :lol:

There is nothing worse than an unshaped and shaven beret - it is always a difficult choice whether to yank it from their heads, or fall down laughing. Pizza beret is another name for it.

Israel has a freakin rainbow of beret colours....Its unsetteing. We have 3 shades of green...We have brown, we have purple, we have black, we have red, we have light blue, we have orange....Way too many colours.

What's with all the berets anyhow? Beret is a French word, a beret is a French hat! We're not French! Who came up with the beret?

FutureRANGER said:
What's with all the berets anyhow? Beret is a French word, a beret is a French hat! We're not French! Who came up with the beret?
silent driller said:
The mullet, the mohawk, and the combover!

At least I interpret the word headdress to i.e. hat. I would have given a totally different answer if the topic was hairdress. Maybe it is my vocabulary that is not the best since my first language isn't English.

nope. your just fine peacekeeper...I think Driller is joking around...

Back to the topic...Whats with all this beret shaping and shaving? I dident know that you need to do that...I think the IDF ones come ready and shaped...
Oh, I found these fuzzy pics of all the berets the IDF has...Kind of colourful...http://www.pongo.co.il/israeli_army_berets1.asp

We've got a few different beret colours as well.

Blue (AF)
Black (Navy)
Green (Army)
Red (MP's or SAR)

The word Beret comes from the latin "birrus" or "birrum", originated from the Greek, "birros" - kind of hat- and "purros": brown, reddish.
Noah, after 40 days on the arch, found some wool stuck together by water and according to the legend, came up with the material the Beret is made of.
Developed and worn in south west of France by sheperds (lamb wool), the Beret eventually changed size and color and became everybody's everyday head dress in France where the world BERET was first reported in 1461.

The beret was worn by everybody in the 50ies, kids included....Now it is more like a regional hat (south west, Mediterranean) or the object of caricatures to depict your average Frenchie: beret, baguette, liter of red wine!!

The Army still carries it: Dark blue for most of it, Green for foreign Legion, red for Airborne troops, light blue for Army helicopter personnel. The mountain infantry has a oversized one covering the whole left side of the face and neck.
It is usually purchased one size smaller than needed, artificially worn out and rolled until it really gets the right shape. The metalic insignas is always fitted on top of the right eye and never on the regular fitting place.
It is always rolled and stuck on the belt or pocketed when not worn in order to keep the shape. It is not coming coming with the 2 ribbons in the back anymore.

We are proud of our berets and of our Kepis, another interesting head dress!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Italians have some interesting headgear(!)

Here's a link to show you what I mean :shock:

http://www.esercito.difesa.it/root/Sezioni/Sez_equipaggiamenti.asp

Select "equipaggiamenti - Uniformi e Accessori - Uniformi"

Then, at the bottom of the page, select "I Copricapo" and you'll get to the headgear

Peacekeeper said:
I think the most different head dress I have seen is Italian. During my service in Kosovo I met some Italian guys with some kind of knitted cap.

Check out the "Fez da bersagliere" - I think this is the one Peacekeeper is referring to ;)

Cheers

The Bolivan Miltary cerimonal uniforms. Shakos, Kepis and dragoon helmets. Wish I could find a link.

The only Regt in the British Army to wear a black Beret are the Tankies. Most of the rest wear the the Blue Beret apart from the infantry regts who wear Khaki. the SAS who wear Tan, the Paras who wear Dark Red the MPs Bright Red. The Green Beret is worn by the Royal Marines, the RAF wear RAF Blue Berets an the Navy wear Navy Blue. There! How interesting can you get. I am not going to go into Tam o'Shanters and the like :D :D

Back