Most Inaccurate Bombing raid in History?

perseus

I don't know if anyone can beat this example, from Max Hastings' Bomber Command. He writes about one of the night bombing raids by a Whitley of 10 group stationed near the East coast of England in Yorkshire during May 1940.

The target was a German aerodrome in Holland. On route over the North Sea they encountered a magnetic storm which disrupted the compass, causing them to loose their bearings. The pilot Warren asked the navigator for a new course. Well the Dutch Coast came and went; and after dodging some flak, they saw the Rhine and flew along it. The second Pilot then shouted out he had located the target airfield, so they dropped their bombs and flew back.

After first light they dropped below the cloud and located a city below which turned out to be the city of Liverpool on the west coast of England. Only then did they realise they must have bombed something inside England.

In fact it wasn't the Rhine but the Thames estuary and they had bombed one of Fighter Commands Aerodromes in Cambridgeshire East England with otherwise uncharacteristic precision straight across the runway.

The Pilot was demoted, forever known afterwards as Baron von Warren. Later two Spitfires flew over his airfield and dropped Iron crosses!

Strangely enough this raid provided useful information because they found out the bombs were quite useless and did little damage to the runway.

unless:
1) the Germans bombing Feiburg in 1940 ,and,of course,blaming the allied "terror bombings";-)
2) the Luftwaffe ,on a mission to attack Belfast,bombed Dublin ,thinking it was Belfast:shock:

an other one:eek:n 23 december 1944,the USAAF attacked the Belgian city of Malmedy (in allied territory) ,the USAAF received a lot of protests of the army,but,maybe,the officer receiving the protests was illiterate,because on 24 december there was a new bombardment,followed by an other one on 25 december .

LOL

THE USAAF got a lot of stick later in the war, the Germans had a saying: when the British Bomb the Germans duck, when the Germans bomb the British duck, but when the Americans bomb everyone ducks!

A case in point was the pre-bombing Cobra break out. Bradley asked them to bomb parallel to a road, but no the air force wasn't going to be dictated by a foot slogging general, so they bombed at right angles and some of the bombs landed on their own positions killing many men.

LOL

THE USAAF got a lot of stick later in the war, the Germans had a saying: when the British Bomb the Germans duck, when the Germans bomb the British duck, but when the Americans bomb everyone ducks!

A case in point was the pre-bombing Cobra break out. Bradley asked them to bomb parallel to a road, but no the air force wasn't going to be dictated by a foot slogging general, so they bombed at right angles and some of the bombs landed on their own positions killing many men.

Hehe I have that propaganda leaflet.

I would also point out that the American "navigation" issues began in 1943 when they bombed Switzerland about 4 times so the German's were not that far off on that one.

Hehe I have that propaganda leaflet.

I would also point out that the American "navigation" issues began in 1943 when they bombed Switzerland about 4 times so the German's were not that far off on that one.

Well at least some of them spoke German!

Perhaps when the Swordfish planes attacked HMS Sheffield instead of Bismarck, and missed with every torpedoe despite they did not faced any AA fire. But not even close to the other mistakes I read here.

take care

Ghostrider

During the breakout of Bradley's twelfth army group in St.Lo, a powerful armada of allied bombers destroyed half the German defenses, while also hitting their fellow countrysmen. The bombs were American ones, and the pilots involved was called the "American Luftwaffe". Yet, these examples sure beat this one!

While any fratricide is unacceptable, the St. Lo bombing missions have to be considered an allied success. The Panzer Lehr division was nearly destroyed, and the corresponding US casualties were comparatively light.

lmao! I don't know of anything that could beat that! lol.

Not so fast. Early in WW11 the Lutwaffe took out number 13 Burwell Road London, my house, with a direct hit, instead of Buckingham Palace.

They tried again on a later date, and instead hit number 5 Station St, London, my home again.

And on both occasions the King was not even likely to be at home, or in London, perhaps not even in the country.

IMHO - this wins hands down for poor eyesight - neither of my homes looked like Buckingham Palace, and my Dad looked nothing like the King.:hide:

Not so fast. Early in WW11 the Lutwaffe took out number 13 Burwell Road London, my house, with a direct hit, instead of Buckingham Palace.

They tried again on a later date, and instead hit number 5 Station St, London, my home again.

And on both occasions the King was not even likely to be at home, or in London, perhaps not even in the country.

IMHO - this wins hands down for poor eyesight - neither of my homes looked like Buckingham Palace, and my Dad looked nothing like the King.:hide:

LMFAO. This one is an epic fail (IMO). But bombing your own capital is way too much to be beaten. From what i saw germans didn't bomb berlin and soviets didn't bomb moscow.

LOL

didnt the USAAF bomb during daylight? i respect the risks taken by bomber pilots but some just need eye/navigation tests

As the unfortunate and embarrasing bombing in OP's post were conducted by a lone Withley on a night raid, I'd say the price for the most inaccurate bombing raid in history should be awarded to the USAAF for the daylight bombing of Schaffhausen.

1. april (no joke) 1944 approximately 50 B-24 Liberators misstook Schaffhausen for Ludwigshafen and dropped their bombs, killing between 40 and 100 civilians, and making 4 million dollars worth of damage to the city.

A daylight bombing raid, and they did not only bomb the wrong city, but also the wrong country, and a neutral country on top of that.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Schaffhausen is in Switzerland.

Last edited:
Back