Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century?

View Poll Results :Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century?
The Japanese victory over Russia, 1905. 6 2.47%
The Allied victory in WWI, 1914-1918. 3 1.23%
The Finnish stand against the USSR, 1940. 46 18.93%
The Axis victories in the first half of WWII, 1939-1942. 29 11.93%
The Allied victory in WWII, 1939-1945. 39 16.05%
The Israeli victory in the Israeli Independence War, 1948. 11 4.53%
The UN/USA victory in the Korean War 1950-1953. 2 0.82%
The Israeli victory in the Six Days War, 1967. 30 12.35%
The Arab relative succes in the Yom Kippur War, 1973. 3 1.23%
The Israeli Victory in the Yom Kippur War, 1973. 10 4.12%
The North-Vietnamese Victory in the Vietnam conflicts, 1945-1975. 20 8.23%
The Mujahidin victory in the Afghan War, 1979-1989. 7 2.88%
The Hizballa succses in the Invasion of Lebanon,1982-2000. 4 1.65%
The UN/USA victory in the Gulf War, 1991. 11 4.53%
Other. 22 9.05%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

August 4th, 2004  

Topic: Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century?

Which one do you think wasmost impressive achievement by military forces in the 20th Century. If you choose "Other", please specify.
August 4th, 2004  
Mark Conley
The most impressive? it isnt even on the list.

A military doesnt just go to the slaughter, although it can. In actuality, there are two civil engineering achievments directly inspired and performed by units of the US Military. and yes both are defense related.

The first is the finishing of the Panama Canal. If it wasnt for the public health aspects and disease control efforts of the US Army Medical Corp and Col George Washington Gobbels that ditch would have never been completed. Remember, the French had the plan, and used a lot of men only to fall to failure because of disease and engineering problems were too much. The US Army came through by conquering the yellow fever mosquito and its breeding areas, enabling the big ditch to continue to completion.

The second item was the building of the ALCAN Highway, from Alaska to the US through Canada, some say the further extension of the road to south America really completed the project. read about the ALCAN sometime, or better yet, drive it. it is a totally nerve wracking experience.

August 4th, 2004  
Hmmm, well said Mark. Alright, I mean military achivments on the battlefield.
August 4th, 2004  

Nuff said...
August 4th, 2004  
finland again, a country of under 10 million people against the largest army at the time, with limited support! impressive
August 5th, 2004  
Who voted for 1967? Wasent me...I dident vote yet...
August 5th, 2004  
I voted for the Allied Victory. With great loss on all fronts, we were able to free the European nations which Hitler stampled upon, stop the genocide of the Jewish Europeans and other people (Catholics etc.) and finally put a stop to the Fourth Reich. Also the victory in Asia.
August 5th, 2004  
I was going to vote for the Allied victory first, but I changed my mind and voted for the Finns.

Winning World War 2 was of course the greatest achievement, but there were so many involved parties, and a lot of the things the Allied did could have been done much better. (but we did win anyway.. )

But what Finland did achieve against the Russians has always impressed me very much..
I've been in Finland and had some guided tours there by a veteran who participated in the battles (Kajani area), and the stories are absolutely breathtaking..
They used the cold weather to their advantage, attacked Russian supply elements (field kitchens, fuel, food etc..) instead of the Russian combat elements, and introduced their famous "motti" tactics...

Read more yourself:
August 5th, 2004  
I voted for the allied victory in WWII.
August 6th, 2004  
I voted for Israel in 1973.

I hesitated between Finland and Israel but decided on Israel as it was a suprise attack and the Arab forces weren't in such a bad shape than the Soviets. Also Finland in the end did loose, Israel didn't.

I don't consider the Allied victory such an achivement due to sheer numerical superiority.