Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century? - Page 7

View Poll Results :Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century?
The Japanese victory over Russia, 1905. 6 2.47%
The Allied victory in WWI, 1914-1918. 3 1.23%
The Finnish stand against the USSR, 1940. 46 18.93%
The Axis victories in the first half of WWII, 1939-1942. 29 11.93%
The Allied victory in WWII, 1939-1945. 39 16.05%
The Israeli victory in the Israeli Independence War, 1948. 11 4.53%
The UN/USA victory in the Korean War 1950-1953. 2 0.82%
The Israeli victory in the Six Days War, 1967. 30 12.35%
The Arab relative succes in the Yom Kippur War, 1973. 3 1.23%
The Israeli Victory in the Yom Kippur War, 1973. 10 4.12%
The North-Vietnamese Victory in the Vietnam conflicts, 1945-1975. 20 8.23%
The Mujahidin victory in the Afghan War, 1979-1989. 7 2.88%
The Hizballa succses in the Invasion of Lebanon,1982-2000. 4 1.65%
The UN/USA victory in the Gulf War, 1991. 11 4.53%
Other. 22 9.05%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

--

July 2nd, 2006  
Dark_Mark

The Mujahidin 1979-1989. The Soviet forces arrayed against them were overwhelming, and they managed to use guerrilla tactics to deadly effect.
July 2nd, 2006  
Easy-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar Deathstrike
Or is it the third?
I am pretty sure it the is the "Second Chechen War."
July 6th, 2006  
LeEnfield

I think that Hitlers conquest of western Europe in 1940 should be up there amongst the all time great achievements
--
July 7th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
I think that Hitlers conquest of western Europe in 1940 should be up there amongst the all time great achievements
True. Nobody expected Germany to own France that quickly. What about the Afrika Corps victories against numerically superior allies?
July 8th, 2006  
chronoserpent

Wow, that's a tough question! All of those battles have had great impacts on history. If you were to remove any one from time, then the world today would be very much different.

But since I'm a Navy fan, I just had to choose a naval battle: the Battle of Tsushima Straits (Japan's defeat of Russia in 1905). Even though the Japanese were technologically equal, the Europeans of the time still considered them to be greatly inferior. Thus, Russia went to war fully confident they could beat the "little yellow monkeys". Furthermore, the Japanese fleet was smaller than the Russian one.

Even so, through better ships, crews, and strategies, the Japanese easily won and crushed the Russian Navy. The Japanese finally won some respect from the Western powers. The use of heavy cruisers alongside their battleships by the Japanese led to the rise of the Battlecruiser (which was a bad idea). The fact that the Russian fleet was incapacitated in Port Arthur by Japanese torpedo boats was an early indication that the age of the Battleship was coming to a close. This battle also defended Japanese holdings in Korea (contributing to still-present friction between the two nations) and Manchuria (a foreshadowing of the later invasion in 1937).

And probably the most important effect of all was that this gave the Japanese confidence in their naval skills for much more ambitious outings later in history, particularly in the Second World War.
July 9th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Yeh it was the first time a European power was defeated by "pagan subhumans" or whatever they called non-whites back then.
July 10th, 2006  
oRTouCH

Turkish Victory against British,Anzac and Greek Forces in the 1st WW... For Turkey this war is called Turkish Independence War...
July 11th, 2006  
zander_0633

Oh The Vietnam war too!
July 15th, 2006  
LeEnfield

Mohmar Deathstar.....Re North Africa, when Rommel arrived in North Africa many of the Commonwealth troops and equipment had been sent to help Greece and other places. Had Wingate been left those troops he might have taken the whole of North Africa before Rommel had arrived. Then later a large section of the Army was withdrawn to fight in the Far East which led to Rommel's second big charge across the desert. I notice that you did not mentioned that when British and the Commonwealth troops were out numbered 30 to one by the Italians, that the Commonwealth routed the Italians
July 18th, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
Turkish Victory against British,Anzac and Greek Forces in the 1st WW... For Turkey this war is called Turkish Independence War...
And well fought it was too!
Funny the link it's created between Turks and Aussies ever since.