Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century?

Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century?

• Total voters
Doppleganger said:
One side had an utterly overwhelming technological superiority and air supremacy over the other. The outcome of Desert Storm was a foregone conclusion. So whilst the figures look great it cannot be considered the most impressive military achievement when the outcome is more or less secured before the battle has even begun.

At first, all I heard was how Iraq had the 3rd largest and battle hardened forces in the Middle East. The overwhelming statistics were because of a coalition that worked. I don't believe a defeat this one sided was a foregone conclusion before the war. If you have some information I missed, please post.

Missileer said:
Doppleganger said:
One side had an utterly overwhelming technological superiority and air supremacy over the other. The outcome of Desert Storm was a foregone conclusion. So whilst the figures look great it cannot be considered the most impressive military achievement when the outcome is more or less secured before the battle has even begun.

At first, all I heard was how Iraq had the 3rd largest and battle hardened forces in the Middle East. The overwhelming statistics were because of a coalition that worked. I don't believe a defeat this one sided was a foregone conclusion before the war. If you have some information I missed, please post.

No. The coalition was simply a political mechanism that amongst other things allowed the use of Saudi territory for an invasion of Iraq and also helped to keep the conflict from escalating region-wide to encompass Israel. The US could have won this conflict on their own had they chosen so. Closer examination of the Iraq military forces revealed them to be no match for the US led coalition, once enough heavy equipment was in place to repulse an Iraqi thrust into Saudi Arabia. The Iraqi Army, included the much vaunted Republican Guard, were inferior in every way to the coalition forces. But the biggest advantage the Coalition had was technological. With AWAC aircraft monitoring all air movement and J-Stars aircraft doing the same for ground forces the Iraqi's couldn't even fart without Allied military planners knowing about it. Information is everything in warfare and coupled with the air supremacy that the coalition enjoyed this war really was over before it started.

Doppleganger said:
With AWAC aircraft monitoring all air movement and J-Stars aircraft doing the same for ground forces the Iraqi's couldn't even fart without Allied military planners knowing about it. Information is everything in warfare and coupled with the air supremacy that the coalition enjoyed this war really was over before it started.

And that, my friend is what I call impressive defeat in any stretch.

Missileer said:
Doppleganger said:
With AWAC aircraft monitoring all air movement and J-Stars aircraft doing the same for ground forces the Iraqi's couldn't even fart without Allied military planners knowing about it. Information is everything in warfare and coupled with the air supremacy that the coalition enjoyed this war really was over before it started.

That depends on whether there was ever going to be a challenge to coalition forces, the reality is that Iraq was never competitive therefore apart from the impressive array of weaponry and the nifty new explosions on TV there really wasn't that much to rank it in the best military achievements of the century basically any one of the "first" worlds militaries could have managed it.

I will stick with the 1940 Finnish war myself followed closely by the Israeli efforts of 1948 and the Axis victories of 1939-42.

Doppleganger said:
Missileer said:
Doppleganger said:

No. The coalition was simply a political mechanism that amongst other things allowed the use of Saudi territory for an invasion of Iraq and also helped to keep the conflict from escalating region-wide to encompass Israel. The US could have won this conflict on their own had they chosen so. Closer examination of the Iraq military forces revealed them to be no match for the US led coalition, once enough heavy equipment was in place to repulse an Iraqi thrust into Saudi Arabia. The Iraqi Army, included the much vaunted Republican Guard, were inferior in every way to the coalition forces. But the biggest advantage the Coalition had was technological. With AWAC aircraft monitoring all air movement and J-Stars aircraft doing the same for ground forces the Iraqi's couldn't even fart without Allied military planners knowing about it. Information is everything in warfare and coupled with the air supremacy that the coalition enjoyed this war really was over before it started.
To be fair, the press was utterly and completely convinced that we, the United States & company, were going to get our butts kicked into next week or that we would see staggering numbers of casualties if we managed to pull off a victory. The press hadn't a clue, but even the most optimistic military strategist would not have likely been able to predict how well it all turned out for the USA and Coalition.

Most of all, I'd say that it was one of the best demonstrations of the triumph of superior technology on the modern battlefield. The old idea that inferior technology can be conpensated for by overwhelming numbers (like Korea) ... well the overwhelming numbers better be a lot more overwhelming. Technology proves itself to be the king of the battlefield. Mind you, I'm not as impressed with the first Gulf War victory as I am with Finland over the USSR in 1939, but it certainly was impressive.

Missileer said:
Doppleganger said:

Yes but my opinion is that a conflict where victory is assured before the fight has joined on the ground cannot be described in the same manner as the Finnish victory in the Winter War of 1940, or the German Blitzkrieg from 1939 to 1942. Both those latter victories were heavily against the odds. That's the difference here.

My opinion of a successful campaign is to use wits as a strength. Sort of a "get there fustest with the mostest." Winning quickly and with the least casualties is much more important than winning against overwhelming odds, IMO, and not losing most of the people who trust you with their very lives. Being forced into a defensive position and fighting with bravery will always be a more patriotic and popular part of history but I do not want to see even one of my uniforms among the dead.

Here in Texas, the battle at the Alamo eventually rallied enough outrage to defeat General Santa Anna and become a legend. Among all the battles that were required to defeat Mexico, that one defeat became more famous than the successful ones. Go figure.

Which one do you think was the most impressive achievement by military forces in the 20th Century?

Impressive military achievements are usually due to an unexpected superiority in one or more of the following areas: planning, training/experience, tenacity/bravery, technology/equipment, intelligence, leadership, surprise, tactics, and strategy. However, this is usually accompanied by serious deficiencies on the other side as well. Luck also plays a major factor but is usually forgotten in place of one or more of the other positive factors.

I think you have an impressive list of candidates, but it is difficult to consider entire stretches of WW2 since these were effectively separate campaigns sometimes under the influence of different people and forces. So I suggest this list in order of achievement, for the following reasons:

German attack against the Western allies May 1940
Planning, Training/experience, tactics, strategy, leadership, so this has many of the elements. Scarred by the failure to cut of the British though.
The Israeli victory in the Six Days War, 1967
Training, technology, surprise, intelligence.
Communist forces against US and their allies in the second Indo china war (Vietnam)
Tenacity
The Finnish stand against the USSR, 1940.
Training, tactics, tenacity
Defence of Stalingrad & Uranus offensive
Planning, Strategy, Tenacity, Surprise
Rommel’s Desert offensives 1941/42
Surprise, tactics
Royal Navy Battle of the Atlantic 1940-43
Tactics, technology
Polish Warsaw uprising
Tenacity/bravery.
RAF Battle of Britain
Strategy, technology

Last edited:
I think the most impessive has to be the a_bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
To cause that much carnage at the touch of a button(figure of speech for all you USAF pedants) is something that occured as a once only and hopefuly never again experience.

T045080A.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

I am shocked no one has made any mention of the Chechen victory in the first Chechen War!

Chechnya is a little tiny place in southern Russia. It was fought from 1994-1996 and the Russians were beaten by Chechyna despite
overwhelming manpower, weaponry, and air support. Whole armored columns were destroyed. When the 131st Brigade entered Grozny and occupied the train station it was destroyed at a loss of 800 of its 1000 men including its commander Colonel Ivan Savin and the destruction of 20 of its 26 MBTs. Snipers all over Chechnya struck fear into the hearts of the federal infantry.

After three months the Russians finally took Grozny then in 1996 Shamil Basaev returned to Grozny with a rebel force of 1,500 and drove out the 12,000 federals. The 900 men of the 276th regiment was sent in only to be driven back with at the loss of 150 KIA and 300 WIA.

The Khasavjurt Peace Agreement was signed and the federals withdrew. What is really rather interesting is that Pavel Grachev boasted he could take all of Chechnya with two airborne regiments within a few days (what a retard).

Last edited:
When I look back on what was achieved on the landings on D Day, and the planning that went into all this. There were some 5,000 ships, several thousand planes both fighter and bombers. There were over a million men, several artificial harbours built and towed across with the invasion force. A undersea pipeline was laid to supply the allies with fuel, there was a vast range of tanks built to deal with every obstacle that they could think of. There several hundred thousand paratroopers and glider borne troops, and not a word got out to the Germans.

Easy-8 said:
I am shocked no one has made any mention of the Chechen victory in the first Chechen War!

Chechnya is a little tiny place in southern Russia. It was fought from 1994-1996 and the Russians were beaten by Chechyna despite
overwhelming manpower, weaponry, and air support. Whole armored columns were destroyed. When the 131st Brigade entered Grozny and occupied the train station it was destroyed at a loss of 800 of its 1000 men including its commander Colonel Ivan Savin and the destruction of 20 of its 26 MBTs. Snipers all over Chechnya struck fear into the hearts of the federal infantry.

After three months the Russians finally took Grozny then in 1996 Shamil Basaev returned to Grozny with a rebel force of 1,500 and drove out the 12,000 federals. The 900 men of the 276th regiment was sent in only to be driven back with at the loss of 150 KIA and 300 WIA.

The Khasavjurt Peace Agreement was signed and the federals withdrew. What is really rather interesting is that Pavel Grachev boasted he could take all of Chechnya with two airborne regiments within a few days (what a retard).

Wow I didn't know these details. Yes, the Russian military has a long bloody history about keeping their own losses high.
perseus said:
Which one do you think was the most impressive achievement by military forces in the 20th Century?

Impressive military achievements are usually due to an unexpected superiority in one or more of the following areas: planning, training/experience, tenacity/bravery, technology/equipment, intelligence, leadership, surprise, tactics, and strategy. However, this is usually accompanied by serious deficiencies on the other side as well. Luck also plays a major factor but is usually forgotten in place of one or more of the other positive factors.

I think you have an impressive list of candidates, but it is difficult to consider entire stretches of WW2 since these were effectively separate campaigns sometimes under the influence of different people and forces. So I suggest this list in order of achievement, for the following reasons:

German attack against the Western allies May 1940
Planning, Training/experience, tactics, strategy, leadership, so this has many of the elements. Scarred by the failure to cut of the British though.
The Israeli victory in the Six Days War, 1967
Training, technology, surprise, intelligence.
Communist forces against US and their allies in the second Indo china war (Vietnam)
Tenacity
The Finnish stand against the USSR, 1940.
Training, tactics, tenacity
Defence of Stalingrad & Uranus offensive
Planning, Strategy, Tenacity, Surprise
Rommel’s Desert offensives 1941/42
Surprise, tactics
Royal Navy Battle of the Atlantic 1940-43
Tactics, technology
Polish Warsaw uprising
Tenacity/bravery.
RAF Battle of Britain
Strategy, technology
I really like this summary. And your avatar :D
Doppleganger said:
With AWAC aircraft monitoring all air movement and J-Stars aircraft doing the same for ground forces the Iraqi's couldn't even fart without Allied military planners knowing about it.
Cool. Until now I thought JSTARS was a late 90s development.

Last edited:
Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Wow I didn't know these details. Yes, the Russian military has a long bloody history about keeping their own losses high.

Aye.

The Russians have never really cared about loss of life in warfare. When we in the west have choosen to give more attention and training to single soldiers in the more eastern parts of the world soldiers (save the elite units) are still cannon fodder.

Easy-8 said:

Well, that's where the "OTHER" category comes in of course. I think that the Chechen/Russian War is kindof an unknown for most people. I don't know a great deal about it and no doubt, neither do a lot of other forum members. The accomplishments of the Chechnians are overshadowed by the fact that, in the end, they lost.

godofthunder9010 said:
Well, that's where the "OTHER" category comes in of course. I think that the Chechen/Russian War is kindof an unknown for most people. I don't know a great deal about it and no doubt, neither do a lot of other forum members. The accomplishments of the Chechnians are overshadowed by the fact that, in the end, they lost.
Yeah and now they're suffering under the bloodthirsty regime of whatshisface (that guy who's close to Putin and wears that hat).

Disclaimer: I'm not condoning Chechen terrorist activity, such as that in Beslan, that rock festival, or that movie theater (or was it an actual theater?).

godofthunder9010 said:

Well, they have yet to lose the Second Chechen War...

Back