Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century?

Most impressive military achievement in the 20th Century?

• Total voters
Doppleganger said:
It has to be the German victories of 1939-42. Note I say German because it would be unfair to Germany to give any of the other Axis partners joint credit.

Why?

Well because it changed the face of warfare forever. Now, for the first time since the Mongol armies thundered across the plains of Asia 800 years ago we had an army that began to move faster than the speed of the marching man. Anyone who's ever read 'Panzer Leader' by Heinz Guderian will realise what a struggle it was for the German Panzer arm to get started. Without Hitler's favour and Guderian's brilliance and perseverance against the odds the Germans would have lost the initial Battle of France and a new dawn of trench warfare would have set in. But it didn't. Instead, Germany's armies with Panzers at their spearheads crushed every army in their path in the first three years of war. The great Allied victories in Europe took their cue from those first three years and all modern armies today take their cue from Blitzkrieg.

we think alike you and I. I think the biggest impact was your last sentence. Blitzkrieg has completely changed the face of warfare. Im not sure if he got it from somewhere or just made it up, but one of my teachers stressed that, "you gotta hittem firstest with the mostest."

behemoth79 said:
Doppleganger said:
It has to be the German victories of 1939-42. Note I say German because it would be unfair to Germany to give any of the other Axis partners joint credit.

Why?

Well because it changed the face of warfare forever. Now, for the first time since the Mongol armies thundered across the plains of Asia 800 years ago we had an army that began to move faster than the speed of the marching man. Anyone who's ever read 'Panzer Leader' by Heinz Guderian will realise what a struggle it was for the German Panzer arm to get started. Without Hitler's favour and Guderian's brilliance and perseverance against the odds the Germans would have lost the initial Battle of France and a new dawn of trench warfare would have set in. But it didn't. Instead, Germany's armies with Panzers at their spearheads crushed every army in their path in the first three years of war. The great Allied victories in Europe took their cue from those first three years and all modern armies today take their cue from Blitzkrieg.

we think alike you and I. I think the biggest impact was your last sentence. Blitzkrieg has completely changed the face of warfare. Im not sure if he got it from somewhere or just made it up, but one of my teachers stressed that, "you gotta hittem firstest with the mostest."

I've read that it was Nathan Bedford Forrest, Civil War General who said; "You gotta get there the firstest with the mostest". Sounds like a variation on that. But yeah I agree. The impact of Blitzkrieg on warfare has been as big as the impact of the horse or musket. If it wasn't for Blitzkrieg WW2 likely would have been fought in trenches.

I'm split between the Axis victories in the first half of WWII and the North Vietnamese struggle. The Axis, as stated in previous posts, changed the face of battle. But I do believe the pure perseverence displayed by the North Vietnamese throughout more than a quarter century of war edges that accomplishment out. To take that amount of casualties, fight for that long, and go up against the greatest nations in the world deserves quite a bit of credit. Though, the war with the U.S. was a very restrictive war on the US part, so I do believe that could knock it to number two under the Axis option.

From the fall of Saigon, to subsequent continued hostilities and Vietnam's much needed intervention in Cambodia ... then jumping straight into the Sino-Vietnamese War ... there isn't much of a time gap. Vietnam spent most of the Twentieth Century fighting the most powerful nations in the world: Japan, France, the USA and China. None of them defeated Vietnam and all were humiated to varying degrees. And to top it off, there was no break in the action. Not more than a couple years from one war to the next. Extremely difficult not to find all of that impressive.

I said the Israeli War of Independence. Oddly enough I just finished learning about the creation of Israel in Modern History so it was for me an easy choice.

A country not even a year old, greatly out numbered, and surrounded held off Invasion on all borders, captured and kept its capital, and then won the war.

Don't know about you guys but thats pretty dam impressive in my view.

Doppleganger wrote...............

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Why?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just a few observations........

You mention the Mongols....
There was perhaps one key difference between the success of the Mongols and the eventual falure of the Blitzkrieg tactics of the Whermacht, the Mongols under Genghis Khan always had superb logistics, the Whermacht didn't, and that was one of the main reasons the Mongols were so successful over such an immense area, and the Germans [ in Russia ] weren't, and therefore lost the war.

The problem was that Germany lacked the resources, technology and expertise to gamble on the creation of an all mechanized, or motorised, force when rearming in the 30's, so the Panzers were backed up and supplied mainly by a large slow moving army, just like armies had for centuries. The vast majority of German military transport was horse drawn. Each regiment had 683 horses [ a total of over 600,000 horses in the initial attack ] as opposed to just 73 motor vehicles [ They used over 3 million horses during the course of the war. ]

While the fast moving Panzer armies could create havoc with slower moving Russian armies in the field, the bulk of the German armies were advancing at walking speed, and were often left a long way behind, [ along with much needed fuel and supplies ] thus leaving the Panzers vulnerable to counter attack, and eventually, [ and very importantly ] the Germans lost control of the air, making Panzer operations difficult.
The Germans military planning for Barbarossa has been described as 'logistical imbecility'.

The Germans eventually failed, after a relatively short four years, to achieve their ultimate goal [ with their new tactics ] which was to conquer Russia, and therefore control Europe.

And as you say the Mongols covered a much larger area and lasted centuries.

And I'm not as sure as you, that a "new dawn of trench warfare would have set in.''

General Erich von Ludendorff and his staff developed the concepts from which modern war would evolve and defeat trench warfare in 1918.

His new offensive doctrine of 'attack in depth', which reintroduced new attacking manoeuvre's on the battlefield, with highly trained stormtroopers. In the last German offensive of the war they broke the trench warfare stalemate, and came close to success.

Plus, the advances in tank development, and more importantly, air power, meant that first world war type trench warfare was possibly a thing of the past [ despite the French wasting valuable manpower in the defuct Maginot line ].

There were many men of vision like Guderian, struggling for Blitzkrieg type tactics, in all the leading countries in the late 20's early 30's, such as General Paul Andre Mais, and Colonel Doumemc and De Gaulle of France, advocating combined tank operations, and Red Army General and theorist Mikhail Tukhachevsky.

Tukhachevsky held very advanced ideas on military strategy, particularly on the use of tanks and aircraft. His ideas were opposed by Stalin's military cronies from the Civil War, Voroshilov and Budenny, and he was eventually executed in the army purges of '37.

The German commanders like Guderian and Manteuffell, put into practice the tank tactics and theories that the British were experimenting with in the late 1920's, and the writings of the foremost theorist on combined tank tactics, Captain Basil Liddel Hart, and others like General Fuller, and General Hobart.

[ Guderian, in a tribute to Hart before the war, sent an inscribed photo of himself with the words ... To captain Liddel Hart, from one of his disciples in tank warfare and the creator of modern tank strategy. ]...

But they, and many others, were all butting their heads against the brick walls of conservative army high commands, until unfortunately [for Europe ] Hitler, the only leader willing to take the risk, gave the green light for combined tank operations soon after coming to power, giving the Germans the chance for early victories. It was very successful [at first] on the relatively short Western front, and initially in Russia, but in the long run, had fatal flaws, which eventually led to it's failure.

Hi Ashes. Once more a big reply ready for my dissection! Here goes..

Ashes said:
Just a few observations........

You mention the Mongols....
There was perhaps one key difference between the success of the Mongols and the eventual falure of the Blitzkrieg tactics of the Whermacht, the Mongols under Genghis Khan always had superb logistics, the Whermacht didn't, and that was one of the main reasons the Mongols were so successful over such an immense area, and the Germans [ in Russia ] weren't, and therefore lost the war.

It's unhelpful to compare the logistical needs of the Mongols compared to those required by Blitzkrieg. It's much easier to have superb logistics when all you have to look after are men and horses who can feed themselves on route to any objective.

The Germans did not lose the war because of the failure of Blitzkrieg tactics nor solely because of faulty logistics. They also lost because of faulty planning, faulty intelligence and overconfidence.

The only reason why I mentioned the Mongols was to illustrate that now, the first time since then, were armies were moving on average faster than the speed of the marching man.

Ashes said:
The problem was that Germany lacked the resources, technology and expertise to gamble on the creation of an all mechanized, or motorised, force when rearming in the 30's, so the Panzers were backed up and supplied mainly by a large slow moving army, just like armies had for centuries. The vast majority of German military transport was horse drawn. Each regiment had 683 horses [ a total of over 600,000 horses in the initial attack ] as opposed to just 73 motor vehicles [ They used over 3 million horses during the course of the war. ]

Not true. The main problem was that almost all of the German General Staff at the time were VERY resistant to the creation of all mechanised forces. They saw tanks as infantry support weapons, just as they had been used in WW1. The reason for the over reliance on horses was the fault of the above and also the failure of German industry to tack to a war footing basis (on Hitler's orders). Guderian fiercely argued for all mechanised forces in the 1930's but because of the above resistance he only partially got what he asked for.

Ashes said:
While the fast moving Panzer armies could create havoc with slower moving Russian armies in the field, the bulk of the German armies were advancing at walking speed, and were often left a long way behind, [ along with much needed fuel and supplies ] thus leaving the Panzers vulnerable to counter attack, and eventually, [ and very importantly ] the Germans lost control of the air, making Panzer operations difficult.
The Germans military planning for Barbarossa has been described as 'logistical imbecility'.

The Germans eventually failed, after a relatively short four years, to achieve their ultimate goal [ with their new tactics ] which was to conquer Russia, and therefore control Europe.

And as you say the Mongols covered a much larger area and lasted centuries.

Which is why Guderian argued for all mechanised Panzer and Panzergrenadier Divisions to help offset that. As long as you have infantry type troops in sufficient number to hold objectives, it does not matter so much about slow moving infantry troops in your wake.

Ashes. Take a look at the sheer size of the Soviet Union. Remember that Blitzkrieg was still a very new concept. Barbarossa called for a short, decisive defeat of the USSR. When examining Barbarossa in that light it is not as poorly planned as some say. Yes, the Germans badly underestimated the Soviet ability to resist and yes, there were other big failures, notably the failure to put German industry onto a war footing. But the plan as a 3 month campaign was well planned and it worked spectacularly well until its timetable became unstuck and it was clear that Barbarossa would no longer win the war in 1941.

This is a topic for another thread, so I won't go into the reasons why Germany lost WW2. Suffice to say, it was nothing to do with Blitzkrieg tactics whatsoever. In fact, Blitzkrieg tactics were the only reason why Germany was initially so successful.

Ashes said:
And I'm not as sure as you, that a "new dawn of trench warfare would have set in.''

General Erich von Ludendorff and his staff developed the concepts from which modern war would evolve and defeat trench warfare in 1918.

His new offensive doctrine of 'attack in depth', which reintroduced new attacking manoeuvre's on the battlefield, with highly trained stormtroopers. In the last German offensive of the war they broke the trench warfare stalemate, and came close to success.

Plus, the advances in tank development, and more importantly, air power, meant that first world war type trench warfare was possibly a thing of the past [ despite the French wasting valuable manpower in the defuct Maginot line ].

Guderian and Manstein both believed that a new dawn of trench warfare would have set in.

Ashes said:
There were many men of vision like Guderian, struggling for Blitzkrieg type tactics, in all the leading countries in the late 20's early 30's, such as General Paul Andre Mais, and Colonel Doumemc and De Gaulle of France, advocating combined tank operations, and Red Army General and theorist Mikhail Tukhachevsky.

Tukhachevsky held very advanced ideas on military strategy, particularly on the use of tanks and aircraft. His ideas were opposed by Stalin's military cronies from the Civil War, Voroshilov and Budenny, and he was eventually executed in the army purges of '37.

The German commanders like Guderian and Manteuffell, put into practice the tank tactics and theories that the British were experimenting with in the late 1920's, and the writings of the foremost theorist on combined tank tactics, Captain Basil Liddel Hart, and others like General Fuller, and General Hobart.

True, there were a few theorists between the wars who were looking at using tanks in a more far-sighted way. Guderian was the man who was given the opportunity to develop them and he did so extremely well. We can argue that some of the others also would have achieved what Guderian did but none of them had the chance so the argument is moot.

Ashes said:
[ Guderian, in a tribute to Hart before the war, sent an inscribed photo of himself with the words ... To captain Liddel Hart, from one of his disciples in tank warfare and the creator of modern tank strategy. ]...

If you've read 'Panzer Leader' Guderian is indeed respectful of Liddel Hart's influence on modern combined arm tactics. You'll also know that Guderian is suprisingly modest about his own influence on such techniques and does not come across as someone who blows his own trumpet.

Ashes said:
But they, and many others, were all butting their heads against the brick walls of conservative army high commands, until unfortunately [for Europe ] Hitler, the only leader willing to take the risk, gave the green light for combined tank operations soon after coming to power, giving the Germans the chance for early victories. It was very successful [at first] on the relatively short Western front, and initially in Russia, but in the long run, had fatal flaws, which eventually led to it's failure.

Ok Ashes. Please tell me what the fatal flaws of Blitzkrieg are. Please also tell me what type of tactics modern armies are using in the field because they look pretty similar to modified Blitzkrieg tactics to me.

What tactics do you think the Allies were using against Germany after 1942?

As I mentioned above (and as you mentioned yourself), it was other reasons, like logistics, that led to German failure in WW2. On the Eastern Front the biggest reason why Germany lost was due to force relations. Simply put, the Red Army was able to field a strategic reserve and the Wehrmacht wasn't. That is the most compelling reason why Germany lost the Ostfront and therefore WW2.

I'd say the stopping of the Japanese on Kokoda and the defeat at Milne Bay (the first land defeat of the Japanese army). Not numerically huge, or massive losses or anything like that. But the conditions, and the fighting was amazing.

isurava_memorial.jpg

Not the best pic of the conditions, but it does show the Owen Stanley Ranges in Isurava on the Kokoda trail.... this is the openening of the Australian war memorial here.

I was going to say Kokoda. It was fairly impressive under the circumstances. Unless of course your name is Thomas Blamey :evil:

I think the greatest military achievment of the 20th centuary was the fact we didn't destroy life as we know it during any of those wars.

However probably WW2 Allies.

jen.parabellum said:
I voted for the Allied Victory. With great loss on all fronts, we were able to free the European nations which Hitler stampled upon, stop the genocide of the Jewish Europeans and other people (Catholics etc.) and finally put a stop to the Fourth Reich. Also the victory in Asia.

Fourth Reich?? You're insane. :p

To me, the most impressive "achievement" was the U.S. withdrawal from Vietnam. The stubborn Finnish defense in the Winter War isn't lost on me either. One shouldn't forget the rapid (yet temporary) German victory over France at the start of World War II (considering that a great deal of German troops were fighting on the eastern front).

Ashes said:
U.S. Casualties were 361,887. Missing in Action 2,338.

USMC had more casualties in Vietnam than in WWII! 101,000 vs. 91,000.

Does "casualties" mean wounded+KIA?

Because I always thought there were like 50,000 U.S. troops KIA in Viet Nam.

I voted for the axis victories in the beginning of WW2. The german war machine was the best army of the time, they won most battles even though they had inferior numbers.

Hi Doppleganger,
Just a few thoughts.

Doppleganger wrote _________________________________________________________________________

It's unhelpful to compare the logistical needs of the Mongols compared to those required by Blitzkrieg. It's much easier to have superb logistics when all you have to look after are men and horses who can feed themselves on route to any objective.

The Germans did not lose the war because of the failure of Blitzkrieg tactics nor solely because of faulty logistics. They also lost because of faulty planning, faulty intelligence and overconfidence.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree, the only reason I mentioned it was to illustrate [ one ] of the reasons why Blitzkrieg failed in Russia, and that was a lack of logistical support.
And of course, as you point out, the failure of Blitzkrieg was not the sole reason for Germany losing the war, and i've never suggested that it was.

The Germans won initially, not only because they achieved penetration and moved rapidly, but also because early they could sustain attacks to the operational depth of their opponents.

When that failed, the Whermacht failed.

Doppleganger wrote _________________________________________________________________________

Not true. The main problem was that almost all of the German General Staff at the time were VERY resistant to the creation of all mechanised forces.
Guderian fiercely argued for all mechanised forces in the 1930's but because of the above resistance he only partially got what he asked for.

Which is why Guderian argued for all mechanised Panzer and Panzergrenadier Divisions to help offset that. As long as you have infantry type troops in sufficient number to hold objectives, it does not matter so much about slow moving infantry troops in your wake.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I'd already mentioned that........
''Everyone'' was butting their heads against the brick walls of conservative army high
commands, until unfortunately [for Europe ] Hitler, the only leader willing to take the risk, gave the green light for combined tank operations soon after coming to power, Guderian lucked out..........

But what if most of your supplies, fuel, ammunition, spares, artillery etc, are also with the slow moving infantry troops in your wake?

Ashes. Take a look at the sheer size of the Soviet Union. Remember that Blitzkrieg was still a very new concept.
In fact, Blitzkrieg tactics were the only reason why Germany was initially so successful.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, a new concept of an age old way of warfare, manoeuvre, and had been well honed in Poland, the low countries, France, and the Balkans.
And the Whermacht must have been very aware of the problams with the size of Russia, they'd just completely defeated Russia 25 years before, [ without Panzers ] Ludendorff could have easily marched on Moscow and captured it, and this was with half of his army fighting on the huge western front.

And a much smaller Prussian army then what the Germans had in 1940, quickly defeated France in 1871, under Moltke, without tanks, thanks to superior manoeuvre, and superior commanders, like armies have won wars for centuries. And in the first world war, as I said above, Germany fought on two huge fronts, yet defeated Russia, and came close twice in the west.

Guderian and Manstein both believed that a new dawn of trench warfare would have set in.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm doubtful, I think the reasons put forward suggest that trench warfare was probably a thing of the past, plus you have to take into account that what happened in WW1 was an aberration of how wars had been fought in the past, not the norm.

It's obvious you greatly admire Guderian and Manstein, and you quote from their books often, but I wonder how completely everything they say, or their memoirs, should be relied on?

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but authors like Erickson, Clarke, and Glantz among others, are doubtful as to the reliability of German commanders reminices and memoirs, [ as well as Russian ] and The 'Cambridge History of Warfare' goes as far as to state, in a review of post war German Generals writings........

"The new wave of historical research has underlined what most historians have generally suspected, the complete unreliability and intellectual dishonesty, even by the standards of the genre, of post war memoirs by German generals."

True, there were a few theorists between the wars who were looking at using tanks in a more far-sighted way. Guderian was the man who was given the opportunity to develop them and he did so extremely well. We can argue that some of the others also would have achieved what Guderian did but none of them had the chance so the argument is moot.

You're right that we'll never know what would have transpired if commanders like Fuller, Doumemc, De Gaulle and Tukhachevsky were given the the advantages that the German commanders had, but as a hypothetical, [the same that is constantly done with why Germany lost the war] it would be interesting.
Perhaps an idea might be the handling of mechanised forces by Patton, the best of the Allied tank commanders, after breaking out into good tank country in '44 rolling up the Germans in France, just as quickly as the Germans did to the French in '40, and his turning the 3rd army around 90 degrees in 48 hours, to hit the Germans in the flank in the Ardennes to relieve Bastogne, called a feat to equal anything in the war.

Ok Ashes. Please tell me what the fatal flaws of Blitzkrieg are.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Already stated in my previous posts.

It's not that the concept is flawed, [the faster the manoeuvre the better,] it's just that the German overall handling of it was ultimately flawed.

Blitzkrieg was very effective early [and very spectacular, with great commanders willing to take risks] but only if particular prerequisite conditions were first met. Good weather, fairly level and unobstructed terrain, and ample fuel and supplies were all essential for sustained mobility and advancement, and there is a danger of the attacking force overextending its supply line. [as the Germans did in Barbarossa]
And the strategy as a whole can be defeated by a determined foe who is willing to sacrifice territory for time in which to regroup and rearm. In addition, the defending army can maintain strong points which the attacking army must either eliminate, thereby disrupting its momentum, or bypass, which creates the possibility that the defender will use them to encircle the attacker. Once the attack loses momentum, the war becomes one of attrition,
in which the mobility and surprise involved with blitzkrieg are no longer useful.

The Red Army was able to regroup far to the rear, and eventually defeat the overextended German forces for the first time in the Battle of Moscow.

In the following summer of 1942, when Germany launched another Blitzkrieg offensive in southern Russia against Stalingrad, the Soviets again lost territory, just to counter-attack again when they stopped in front of the city.

Most people focus on the Whermacht's attack capabilities, and, unfortunately, pay undue attention to the tank, and miss the broader picture, of which the tank was but one part.

Pease also tell me what type of tactics modern armies are using in the field because they look pretty similar to modified Blitzkrieg tactics to me.

But isn't warfare evolving all the time?

Now the military doctrine of Rapid Dominance, or shock and awe, is considered the modern successor to blitzkrieg. Unlike blitzkrieg, rapid dominance relies heavily on air power, precision weapons and cruise missiles, large amounts of central coordination, and focuses on destroying the enemies command and control structures rather than its supply lines.

I said Desert Shield/Storm

http://www.englisch.schule.de/state_of_the_union/group6/project/page03.htm

DATA AND STATISTICS

U.S. troops killed: 79 in action, 54 in non-combat
U.S. troops wounded: 213
U.S. airmen listed as POWs: 9
U.S. troops missing in action: 37
Allied troops killed: 44 in combat
Allied air missions flown: 106,000+
U.S. planes lost in combat: 27
Allied planes lost: 9
Iraqi aircraft destroyed: 141
Iraqi planes that fled to Iran: 137
Iraqi tanks destroyed: 3,080
Estimated Iraqi casualties: More than 85,000 killed and wounded
Iraqi ships sunk, damaged: 73
Iraqi POWs held by allies: 80,000
U.S. troops in Persian Gulf: 537,000+
Estimated cost of Gulf War to allies: $45 billion

Missileer said:
I said Desert Shield/Storm

http://www.englisch.schule.de/state_of_the_union/group6/project/page03.htm

DATA AND STATISTICS

U.S. troops killed: 79 in action, 54 in non-combat
U.S. troops wounded: 213
U.S. airmen listed as POWs: 9
U.S. troops missing in action: 37
Allied troops killed: 44 in combat
Allied air missions flown: 106,000+
U.S. planes lost in combat: 27
Allied planes lost: 9
Iraqi aircraft destroyed: 141
Iraqi planes that fled to Iran: 137
Iraqi tanks destroyed: 3,080
Estimated Iraqi casualties: More than 85,000 killed and wounded
Iraqi ships sunk, damaged: 73
Iraqi POWs held by allies: 80,000
U.S. troops in Persian Gulf: 537,000+
Estimated cost of Gulf War to allies: $45 billion

One side had an utterly overwhelming technological superiority and air supremacy over the other. The outcome of Desert Storm was a foregone conclusion. So whilst the figures look great it cannot be considered the most impressive military achievement when the outcome is more or less secured before the battle has even begun.

Back