Most impressive army during the middle ages?

which one was the most impressive?

• English longbow men

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spanish conquistadors

• French knights

• Mongol saddle shooters

• Japanese samurais

• Egyptian Mamluks

• Turkish janissaries

• Swiss pikemen

• Total voters
What part of the Middle Ages?

dsj said:
During the middle ages I mean.

During the first 3 centuries AD and last two BC, I would vote for the Roman Legions and the Irish Fianna (who butchered the Roman Legions.)

In the Early Middle Ages the Huns were very effective defeating the Roman Legions forcing them to emply barbarian cavalry. The Byzantine Army was impressive in the 6th Century only to be swept away by the Ummayad Arab Light Cavalry of the 7th and 8th Centuries. In the 10th to 12th Centuries the Norman Knight controlled the battlefield until Agincourt when the Bowmen took prominence. Meanwhile the mounted Mongol mounted archers of the 13th Centuries were amost undefeatable. Then the Swiss Pikemen of the Habsburg Armies gained prominence until their defeat and annhilation at Rocroi. The Ottoman Sultanate's Armies using gun powder artillery, excellent cavalry, and the elite Jannissary Troops was dominant the 14th-17th Centuries.

OldArmyDoc

The German Army. Tank for tank, gun for gun, plane for plane, man for man, and general for general, they would have belted any other army at the time if things were all even. In 1944 and 1945 they weren't but that was Hitler's fault.

Re: What part of the Middle Ages?

OldArmyDoc said:
dsj said:
During the middle ages I mean.

During the first 3 centuries AD and last two BC, I would vote for the Roman Legions and the Irish Fianna (who butchered the Roman Legions.)

In the Early Middle Ages the Huns were very effective defeating the Roman Legions forcing them to emply barbarian cavalry. The Byzantine Army was impressive in the 6th Century only to be swept away by the Ummayad Arab Light Cavalry of the 7th and 8th Centuries. In the 10th to 12th Centuries the Norman Knight controlled the battlefield until Agincourt when the Bowmen took prominence. Meanwhile the mounted Mongol mounted archers of the 13th Centuries were amost undefeatable. Then the Swiss Pikemen of the Habsburg Armies gained prominence until their defeat and annhilation at Rocroi. The Ottoman Sultanate's Armies using gun powder artillery, excellent cavalry, and the elite Jannissary Troops was dominant the 14th-17th Centuries.

OldArmyDoc
I think that there are some inaccurcies. The arab calvary was not that effective which some people might think. They were defeated at poitiers by the french heavy infantry in heavy armour. And after wards the french had more raids on them than they did on the french. The mongol horsemens were defeated at Grobnok and Kladsko and suffered very heavy losses and hit the mongol force hard and reduced it by great numbers. That was the true reason I believe that the mongols withdrew. The Ottomans was much weaker than the europeans. The europeans during the late middle ages have grown way more powerful than any other culture. They also had cannons and handguns plus way better armour, bows naval technology castles and Siege skills. The swiss pike men could be defeated by any combined forces. alone, Longbows, Arquebusiers, crossbow men would have defeated them

aussiejohn said:
The German Army. Tank for tank, gun for gun, plane for plane, man for man, and general for general, they would have belted any other army at the time if things were all even. In 1944 and 1945 they weren't but that was Hitler's fault.
Kept telling people, this is about the middle ages and renaissance.

IrishWizard said:
Yeah sorry about that dsj, didnt see the middle ages post :p.

I'd have to say the Byzantine army as a whole.
It's ok. forgot to add in the Byzantine charaphracts.

dsj said:
aussiejohn said:
Kept telling people, this is about the middle ages and renaissance.

Sorry.

I got bit too excited!!!

I think the Mongols were pretty good.

The mongols were very, very good. Definitely one of the best at the day. But the europeans were not feeble pathetic as many people said and are at the mercy of the mongols. The death that saved europe is a wrong saying. Europe was extremely capable of defending them selves.

most impressive

the most impressive off the list would be the longbowmen and the marmuluks.

but overall i'd choose the scotish infantry of the middle ages.
those men running at you in a battle would of been quite itimidating i would think.
:twisted:

the most impressive army? for me, it isn't on the list. There are two actually from history...

The first was the the immortal 10,000 mercanarys that came from greece, went to the middle of the unknown world, betrayed to their enemies by their benefactors, then had to fight their way back to greece. For sheer unit cohesiveness, you cant beat the record of this little army.

The other group was (gasp) the chinese communist forces that made the long march.

What makes both of these groups impressive is that despite the odds, they maintained discipline, overcame the odds, stayed together, and lived to fight another day...against everything thrown at them.

salute! :D

ACTaFOOL82 said:
Mongols and their horses were awesome. They powned people. But old school Delta force is better. :cowb:
The english longbow men suprassed them in shooting ability.

Mark Conley said:
the most impressive army? for me, it isn't on the list. There are two actually from history...

The first was the the immortal 10,000 mercanarys that came from greece, went to the middle of the unknown world, betrayed to their enemies by their benefactors, then had to fight their way back to greece. For sheer unit cohesiveness, you cant beat the record of this little army.

The other group was (gasp) the chinese communist forces that made the long march.

What makes both of these groups impressive is that despite the odds, they maintained discipline, overcame the odds, stayed together, and lived to fight another day...against everything thrown at them.

salute! :D
I meant the middle ages.

Back