The Most important war in your countrys history

Spartan

Many of us only know about the wars that their own countryman fought in. I'm no exception.. I don't know very much about wars that took place between say, korea and Japan, or France and england. I know a bit, but not very much. Here, we can talk about wars our own countrys fought in, some of which might not be widely known about. I would like to learn about some of the wars, battles, rebellions, etc... That formed your country. Please post, I think this could be interesting. We have people here from all over the world, lets hear what they have to say. I would even like to learn a bit about my own country as well... In short, talk about anything regarding your country and it's lesser known military history. The generals, men, and battles that kept your nation afloat.

For me, it would be a toss up between the American Revolution and The American Civil War. HAd the colonists or Union army lost either one, The US would not be the superpower it is. Wether you like us or not, you must admit we are one of the most powerful countries in the world. The battle of Gettysburg in my opinion was the turning point of the Civil War. It was a decisive victory, and I feel it turned the tide of the war. As for the american revolution, though i'm by far no expert on it (or the civil war for that matter, I know most about WWII and Vietnam as far as wars americans fought in are concerned) I would have to say the crossing of the delaware river by George Washington. As far as I know, it was a stunning victory for the colonials, not just tactically but as a matter of morale. We captured a hessian encampment and created a legacy. Some of my favorite Generals are Jeb Stuart, Eisenhower, and General Robert E. Lee (a General I highly respect, for his loyalty to his troops and his skill as a tactician and leader.) I think these men have earned an important place in american history.. They defined and shaped this country in one way or another.

most important wars.

I think that for Aus ww1, and the gallipoli battles are the best remebered.
Even though the Aussies battle achievements in france were much greater they achieved less recognition then they deserved. They were the only army (i think?) that was a volunteer army for the entire length of the war. They did amazing things with at times an army that was very very small by the standards of the day. The legends that gallipoli created were improved and magnified in France at places like Pozieres, Ypres, Polygon wood, Menin road, Poelchapple, Passchendaele, Lys, Hazelbrouck, Ameiens, Flanders, Epehy and the Hindeburg line.

With any luck there wont be a campaighn as badly planned as gallipoli ever again. The fact that they done so well there with there limited resources was an achievement in itself. two interesting things that happened there was how they manufactured their own bombs out of used jam tins because the british government wouldn't supply them with the amount they needed. They also refused the issue of gas masks because they didn't think that "Johhny Turk" would stoop low enough to use gas against them.

The most important war i think Aus fought in was ww2 because we fought to defend our land from direct invasion. (papua new guinea was cosidered as part of our territory at that time)
And some of the battles in PNG and Dutch new guinea were absolutely vital to defeat of the japanese.
The battle of milne bay was also the first time the japs were defeated in a land battle during the war, this battle was fought exclusively by Aussie troops. it was a disaster for the japs and stoped there landings that they hoped to carry out and led to the Kakoda track battles.

Good topic, don't you just LOVE Military History? :D

Anyway, for my country (England, UK), The Battle of Hastings has to be one of the most decisive.

It brought England and to some extent Britain, into the feudal system, and in the future would have a major effect on the world.

I wonder what would have happened if Harold had won the Battle of Hastings, what a different world....

It is said that if you ask any Briton about '1066' they'll tell you about Hastings.

For America, I feel it is Vietnam. It was our first televised war and it pretty much turned public opinion against war for any reason. We are becoming a soft country because of this war. As I may have said too much already, I will now shut up. :|

I forgot about this topic! :lol: Keep em coming evrybody

EDIT--------------

Interesting link, Sherman. Never knew anything about that war.

Yep, and then who would've saved the Brits in World War two? :lol: :lol: J/k
I have had a lot of discussion on this at a different forum and the topic ended with us all agreeing it was a team effort. Take no offense my British friends. :)

yep. we defeated jerry together.

in scotland's history, either the wars of independence or either of the world wars.

'Tis not known widely to the outside world that at one point, Britain was in fact a republic, there was no monarchy and no realm. The civil war in 1642 saw Loyalists battle against Parliament's troops. King Charles 1st was eventually defeated after many a year of war and beheaded in 1649. Charles' son (Charles 2nd) claimed the crown of Scotland and marched his army to fight Oliver Cromwell, this expedition ended dismally for Charles and he had to flee abroad. Oliver Cromwell then became Lord Protector of England and the House of Lords and Monarchy was banned. After Cromwell's death in 1658, his son Richard took over but he was no replacement of Cromwell. Government became unstable and the Parliamentarians wanted to re-instate the monarchy, Charles 2nd entered London as monarch again in 1660. The civil war enabled much greater liberties for the English people as Charles 2nd learnt that he should rule by the consent of Parliament and not by divine right.

Spartan said:
For me, it would be a toss up between the American Revolution and The American Civil War. HAd the colonists or Union army lost either one, The US would not be the superpower it is. Wether you like us or not, you must admit we are one of the most powerful countries in the world.

Gah! When will the US learn?

The US internal wars may have been more important for the US, but WW2 was more important for the whole world, including the US. It is a strange logic that would consider the former war to be of greater regard.

Nothing personal, but it is exactly this 'seemingly' arrogant self promotion that has marginalised respect of the US around the world.

The most striking recent example being the snubbing of the UN and going to war in Iraq. Yes, the US had allies there, but those countries peoples were unwilling participants in the political maneuverings of their leaders.

Your suggestion that this is the most important war because it united the US making it the superpower we know is as yet a benign consequence. Just maybe WW3 will be the world vs. US globalisation (i.e. the US)? Who knows? Looks like its already started...

Lazza.

Spartan said:
Yep, and then who would've saved the Brits in World War two? :lol: :lol: J/k

Umm, the Brits didn't need saving, Germany didn't have the resources for an invasion.

Further, the Reds accounted for 75% of all German forces, then that would entitle them to umm, ahhh maybe 75% of the credit for saving all our arses.

Lazza.[/img]

Lazza said:
Spartan said:
For me, it would be a toss up between the American Revolution and The American Civil War. HAd the colonists or Union army lost either one, The US would not be the superpower it is. Wether you like us or not, you must admit we are one of the most powerful countries in the world.

Gah! When will the US learn?

The US internal wars may have been more important for the US, but WW2 was more important for the whole world, including the US. It is a strange logic that would consider the former war to be of greater regard.

Nothing personal, but it is exactly this 'seemingly' arrogant self promotion that has marginalised respect of the US around the world.

The most striking recent example being the snubbing of the UN and going to war in Iraq. Yes, the US had allies there, but those countries peoples were unwilling participants in the political maneuverings of their leaders.

Your suggestion that this is the most important war because it united the US making it the superpower we know is as yet a benign consequence. Just maybe WW3 will be the world vs. US globalisation (i.e. the US)? Who knows? Looks like its already started...

Lazza.

Well...considering the title of the post is The Most important war in your countrys history...well i think it was appropriate for him to post it that way.

Not strange at all..when you consider that if the revolutionary or civil wars had not been settled to the people satisfaction..their wouldnt be a U.S.

You might want to slow down a little and read the whole subject of the posting area Lazza.

Well I think World War One for Britain because, it was then we relised, and the entire world, that war was not a glorious thing anymore.

I also think that the Napoleonic Wars, (The Peninsular War and the Waterloo campaign) Because we never lost a battle to the french at sea or on land and we saved the world eventually, (with the help of the Prussians of course).

Speaking of World War One. It is the first day of the Battle of the Somme. 57,470 British soldiers became casualties just on this day in 1916.

Lest we forget

Mark Conley said:
Well...considering the title of the post is The Most important war in your countrys history...well i think it was appropriate for him to post it that way.

You might want to slow down a little and read the whole subject of the posting area Lazza.

I read the subject line. My point was a war that was very important for the US couldn't be more imortant than a war that was crucial for the US and the rest of the world.

Seems only logical. I like top encourage people to see the wider picture, well I try.

Lazza.

its nice to know a wider opinion..but bad on the forum when you really go off the subject topic to do it.

If the topic was the most important war for your country and how it affected the world, well id see the appropriateness in what you said. But its not.

If you have an ax to grind on why the Americans are so messed up in the world, well start your own post on the topic, and lets see what happens. Heck, you might get a good response. Even I would post on that. But you need to stay on topic for the subject being discussed.

Mark Conley said:
its nice to know a wider opinion..but bad on the forum when you really go off the subject topic to do it.

If the topic was the most important war for your country and how it affected the world, well id see the appropriateness in what you said. But its not.
<snip>

I wasn't going to reply to this, only been a member for a few days and don't want to enter into personal arguments.

The reason for being the most important war is off topic? So posters to the forum "The Most Important War in your Countrys History" musn't give reasons as they are off topic? Choose a war, and choose a reason why, seems to make sense. Can't see how its off topic?

Spartan said Civil War BECAUSE it united America.
I said should've been WW2 BECAUSE it saved world (which incudes US).

Is Spartan also off topic because the forum isn't about "the most important war that united your country"?

Lazza.

Spartan said:
Many of us only know about the wars that their own countryman fought in. I'm no exception.. I don't know very much about wars that took place between say, korea and Japan, or France and england. I know a bit, but not very much. Here, we can talk about wars our own countrys fought in, some of which might not be widely known about. I would like to learn about some of the wars, battles, rebellions, etc... That formed your country. Please post, I think this could be interesting. We have people here from all over the world, lets hear what they have to say. I would even like to learn a bit about my own country as well... In short, talk about anything regarding your country and it's lesser known military history. The generals, men, and battles that kept your nation afloat.
For me, it would be a toss up between the American Revolution and The American Civil War. HAd the colonists or Union army lost either one, The US would not be the superpower it is. Wether you like us or not, you must admit we are one of the most powerful countries in the world. The battle of Gettysburg in my opinion was the turning point of the Civil War. It was a decisive victory, and I feel it turned the tide of the war. As for the american revolution, though i'm by far no expert on it (or the civil war for that matter, I know most about WWII and Vietnam as far as wars americans fought in are concerned) I would have to say the crossing of the delaware river by George Washington. As far as I know, it was a stunning victory for the colonials, not just tactically but as a matter of morale. We captured a hessian encampment and created a legacy. Some of my favorite Generals are Jeb Stuart, Eisenhower, and General Robert E. Lee (a General I highly respect, for his loyalty to his troops and his skill as a tactician and leader.) I think these men have earned an important place in american history.. They defined and shaped this country in one way or another.

look at the orignal posters request lazza. Then i would suggest that you keep it to a PM if you arent going to be worried about causing problems.

You would do well to listen to Mark, Lazza. Read the topic title and post accordingly, or start your own topic. Arguing with moderators or the admin is not exactly smiled upon here. Any further posts on this matter will be deleted and further action may result.

Back