Most favourite baret

Yes aussienick i did mean a slouch hat just never heard the name before, thank you for the correct terminology now i am going to go out and buy one, but i saw the Austrailians wear them and those things are bad ass, you want to know why you wear it in combat so that the enemy knows they are getting their ass kicked by someone with style.

the boonie and bandana is what i usually wear and i think it works good though, also that the bandana is really helpful in keeping the sweat out of your eyes because for those of us who have had sweat roll down into our eyes it BURNS LIKE HELL, SWEAT BURNS YOUR EYES LIKE NO OTHER FORCE, forgive me for being melodramatic.

DevilsWasp... fighting does happen between cities. Just not on a sand dune.
As for dark colored berets.. yeah I guess maybe. But I have black hair so it's not really an issue. In fact, a camouflaged boonie hat or Ranger cap will do just fine here and in terms of camouflage, would work better.
When it's not practical to wear a helmet, just have it hanging off a part of you where it'll be easy to reach to.
When you're in harm's way you want to stay practical and effective.. fighting a war isn't a fashion statement. It's about getting the job done and staying alive. A lot of people owe their lives to the helmet, but I haven't heard of anyone who owed their lives to a beret.

Right now, all we wear is the beret when we're in garrison and when we're moving into our training area (only been there once). After we get into what the Sergeants consider 'the field', we put our helmets on and don't take them off until we get back to HQ (which can take most of the day).

However, since I'm not yet fully trained, let alone been in combat, I don't really have much of another opinion as to who wears what in the field. I can say that a beret is good to have around (as is the bushcap) for low-threat areas. Anything else is helmet territory.

Can I change my pick? Girl Scouts, just the right shade of green and just the right amount of panache :lol:

Sorry tryin to lighten the mood.

Back