Most favourite baret

I don't mind the beret at all. Just out in the field, I'd rather be wearing a helmet. After all, you'll be doing a lot of stuff that you'd want a helmet for, even without the bullets flying.

the_13th_redneck said:
I don't mind the beret at all. Just out in the field, I'd rather be wearing a helmet. After all, you'll be doing a lot of stuff that you'd want a helmet for, even without the bullets flying.
Dude whats gona fall on you in sand?
Whats gona hit you with enough speed to crack your skull that isnt a bullet in the desert?

devilwasp said:
Whats gona hit you with enough speed to crack your skull that isnt a bullet in the desert?

As if the bullet isn't enough .. a lot of things.

Well if you are from a place of dense forests, hills, valleys, riverbeds etc. you'll know. You can slip, you can fall and hit your head. Not to mention, there is heavy equipment and stuff in the works too in many places. Just be smart and wear a helmet. If you take a trek through a rainforest with uneven ground and without trails a helmet can come quite in handy (of course we mean those construction type hats mostly).
And what's up with that idiotic attitude anyways? Well if sand is the only terrain you'll ever fight on, then by all means, scrap the helmet... it's probably too hot anyways. But there are a lot of places you can be where just wearing a helmet can avoid injury. Plus do your homework. Not all deserts are soft beach sand. There's hard terrain... some look like the surface of Mars. There's sometimes mesas, dry river beds (that can flood without notice), canyons, creeks, etc. In some places it looks perfectly flat, like a good place to send your tanks over, but the dry layer is thin and when it cracks, everything under it is MUD. Besides, if you find yourself conducting a military operation on a sand dune, chances are you're in the wrong place.
Nothing that hits you needs to be as fast as a bullet. It just needs to be hard enough to crack your skull or cause a concussion to put you in jeapordy.

Basically the point is, when out in the field, the helmet is more practical than the berret.

devilwasp said:
the_13th_redneck said:

the_13th_redneck said:
Well if you are from a place of dense forests, hills, valleys, riverbeds etc. you'll know. You can slip, you can fall and hit your head. Not to mention, there is heavy equipment and stuff in the works too in many places. Just be smart and wear a helmet. If you take a trek through a rainforest with uneven ground and without trails a helmet can come quite in handy (of course we mean those construction type hats mostly).
Firstly i am meaning sand, the above stuff is a good idea but since you will most likely be moveing slowly why would you be wearing a helmet , most likely be wearin a beenie or a head and shoulder set.
And what's up with that idiotic attitude anyways? Well if sand is the only terrain you'll ever fight on, then by all means, scrap the helmet... it's probably too hot anyways.
The idiotic attitude? now i am being insulted thanks alot.
Well the last couple of wars have been in sand, and from the looks of it our forces will be fighting on sand for a while atleast.

But there are a lot of places you can be where just wearing a helmet can avoid injury. Plus do your homework. Not all deserts are soft beach sand. There's hard terrain... some look like the surface of Mars. There's sometimes mesas, dry river beds (that can flood without notice), canyons, creeks, etc.
Yeah but are you going to wear a helmet to cross over some rock formations or are you going to wear light desert camo?

In some places it looks perfectly flat, like a good place to send your tanks over, but the dry layer is thin and when it cracks, everything under it is MUD. Besides, if you find yourself conducting a military operation on a sand dune, chances are you're in the wrong place.
So desert fighting is in the wrong place?
Oh sorry chaps wrong place to fight everybody into the 8 tonners!

Nothing that hits you needs to be as fast as a bullet. It just needs to be hard enough to crack your skull or cause a concussion to put you in jeapordy.
Being in a combat zone puts you in jeapordy, getting hurt in the combat zone increases it ten fold. I agree here though.
Basically the point is, when out in the field, the helmet is more practical than the berret.
I wouldnt count on that, a beret is light weight and comfertable, inspires confidence as well. The helmet is good in cases but so is the beret.

Maybe the confidence bit but really, if it is practical to wear a berret, it's probably practical to have no hat at all.

Also I meant, if you're sitting on a sand dune, chances are you're in the wrong place. Combat will almost never take place in such a place. Except maybe if you're a part of a SF team on a dune buggy trying to get a short cut.

Plus the recent wars haven't been on soft sand. It's either been on flat ground or urban situations. And I think in an urban warfare setting, you'd want a helmet with you. Like I said, the desert is a very diverse place. If it becomes impractical to be wearing a helmet, you can just take it off and have it hanging off your body. Actually, I really don't know of a military campaign that took place on soft sand deserts.

"Dude whats gona fall on you in sand?
Whats gona hit you with enough speed to crack your skull that isnt a bullet in the desert?"
That's what I mean by idiotic attitude.
It doesn't have to fall on you, you could very well fall on it.
Oh, personal story time. While I was trekking in the jungle ... usually I did not wear helmets but that one day I went with a different group and they issued helmets. And boy was I glad they did because by sheer bad luck when we stopped to, rest, regroup etc. a branch fell on my head. And the canopy was high too.

Have you ever been shot at Devil wasp?? no of course not because you are not in the military yet... Listen man, forget what you have heard in cadets, and listen to people that have been in the shit... Your helmet can save your life

YOUR ALL WRONG.

the best way to go in terms of headwear is a bandana with a boonie on top and that boonie should be turned up on one side like the Austrailian SAS and the other side should have one of those skull playing cards from Vietnam specifically the Ace of Spades and that bandana should be covered in sweat and blood. Now that is how you kick ass with style.

but i would have to say that i personally think that the British SAS berets are really badass

the best way to go in terms of headwear is a bandana with a boonie on top and that boonie should be turned up on one side like the Austrailian SAS

Like the Australian SAS???? hmmmmm, not sure what your on about. I think you're thinking of a slouch hat (KFF), which you'd never wear in combat, and all Australian soldiers have slouch hats. Not just the SAS.

slouchHat.jpg

As for head gear. Australian soldier often will wear a giggle hat or beret because a helmet is just too hot and impractical.

the_13th_redneck said:
Maybe the confidence bit but really, if it is practical to wear a berret, it's probably practical to have no hat at all.
No because even if it isnt offering anyreal protection it can hide you due to most of the berets being dark colours, this being of course if you are in woodlands.
Also I meant, if you're sitting on a sand dune, chances are you're in the wrong place. Combat will almost never take place in such a place. Except maybe if you're a part of a SF team on a dune buggy trying to get a short cut.
What about when your crossing over terrain huh? Of course combat never happens between cities, think man.
Plus the recent wars haven't been on soft sand. It's either been on flat ground or urban situations. And I think in an urban warfare setting, you'd want a helmet with you. Like I said, the desert is a very diverse place. If it becomes impractical to be wearing a helmet, you can just take it off and have it hanging off your body. Actually, I really don't know of a military campaign that took place on soft sand deserts.
Yeah of course you would , i never said not to take it with you i just said it would be practical to wear a beret, the recent wars have been in sand, ok mostly it hasnt been soft sand but mud,rock and more bloody rock, but they are still crossing in between. Also every military campaing will take place on soft sands if you are a marine, the beach.
That's what I mean by idiotic attitude.
It doesn't have to fall on you, you could very well fall on it.
Yeah but if you fall on it just becase you have a helmet will reduce the force and still would not offer any protection for neck or face, there fore if ethier are injured your outa the fight.
Oh, personal story time. While I was trekking in the jungle ... usually I did not wear helmets but that one day I went with a different group and they issued helmets. And boy was I glad they did because by sheer bad luck when we stopped to, rest, regroup etc. a branch fell on my head. And the canopy was high too.
So one incident where a helmet was valuable proves its value over everything else???

Pete031 said:
Have you ever been shot at Devil wasp?? no of course not because you are not in the military yet... Listen man, forget what you have heard in cadets, and listen to people that have been in the shit... Your helmet can save your life
I have not been under fire and i HAVE talked to people that have been in the shit, the helmet can save your life thats why its at your side all the time, but a beret is just as handy.

depends on the situation

a beret is lightweight and comfortable whereas a helmet is hot and heavy, although a helmet offers more protection against frag/debris etc.

Well, we don't always wear a helmet in the field, we have a bushcap too, but that is for situations that don't require a helmet... But when you have to do an operation like a raid or direct action on a target, you always wear a helmet, the days of going on a fighting patrol through the woods I think are over, the only time you will do that now is an approach march to a built up area, lets face it, most battles are going to be fought in urban areas from now on, because noone can challenge a force like the U.S. or UK on open ground, not with their tanks and aircraft... If you look at Iraq, it was a fast hard move to an urban area, then a dismount and then aggressive patrolling through city or oilfields... It is SOP to wear helmet in most armys while in the vehicle too, so I think you bushcap or beret will stay in your map pocket for most of any battle, you will then wear it later in less threatening situations... As for identity, well, thats fine in garrison, showing off your colors, but in the field the less you show off the better.

devilswap, when i said its not somthing to get upset abou8t, i meant it. you are way too agressive in your posts, adjust fire now.

Back