Most Effective Modern Military Helmet Shape?

View Poll Results :Pick Your Prefer Hat:
USA current design 3 14.29%
UK current design 3 14.29%
World War 2 Germany 6 28.57%
World War 2 USA 1 4.76%
World War 2 Russia 0 0%
Russian Current Design 0 0%
China Current Design 0 0%
A Beret is all I need!! 5 23.81%
5 gallon bucket baby!! 3 14.29%
Rambo bandana 0 0%
Rabinex 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

October 30th, 2004  

Topic: Most Effective Modern Military Helmet Shape?

I'm hoping this isn't a repeat topic, but what does everyone think? What is the best shape for a soldiers helmet?

Reason I'm saying that way is that, as nearly as I can tell, a WW2 German helmet made from modern kevlar, etc, would best design for protecting a soldier's head. The problem with that one is that nobody want's to look like a bunch of Nazis these days.

Lemme know if there are options to add and I'll add them.
October 30th, 2004  
Well, the current US helmet looks alot like the WWII german ones...That is why some people dont want it in the IDF
October 31st, 2004  
You dont have a link to a site with pictures of the helmets do you? i cant remember or dont know what some of them look like. thanks
October 31st, 2004  
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Well, the current US helmet looks alot like the WWII german ones...That is why some people dont want it in the IDF
It's very similar. And the Bundeswehr have adopted it now too so you have German soldiers who look like they are in the Wehrmacht.
October 31st, 2004  
October 31st, 2004  
WW2 Germany was probably the best and now if it were made of kevlar it would kick ass.
October 31st, 2004  
Mark Conley
well im old school so here goes

Its the WWII american steel pot. it was headgear and protection, foot soaker, shaving bowl (the old field manuals show you how to set up wash stations to do this) cookpot (killed the temper..but cooked large amounts of rations great) egg holder, near sighted turtle hump trainer, and so many more uses...

now a wear it. I mean they could have come up with a kevlar inner helmet liner (the previous ones were fiberglass/ could have been done if they just wanted a kevlar contract) and saved themselves some bucks..oh no. they need a thick helment with plenty of drill space and thickness to hold all those future super gadgets.

nope..nope...nope its a steel pot for me
October 31st, 2004  
A Can of Man
The British one makes my head look big and poofy. I like. lol
October 31st, 2004  
Something to consider. WW2 German helmet provides fewer points of entry for a lethal shrapnel or bullet to the head than any other. Sure, go right ahead and modernize it so you can stick all the modern gadgets and crap on it.

Here's another thought. What are these soldiers missing:

that these people are not missing?
October 31st, 2004  
I'm going to say the current military design, PASGT. Why do we need a helmet that can cook our food when we have chemical heaters for our MREs? Besides, do you really want to be sitting around without your helmet on with a fire and smoke going that would give away your position? It just seems like a bad idea to me.

But the new and improved helmet don't even use kevlar anymore. I know the Marines are adopting a new lightweight helmet to replace the kevlar PASGT.