Most Effective Modern Military Helmet Shape?

Pick Your Prefer Hat:

• USA current design

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UK current design

• World War 2 USA

• World War 2 Russia

• Russian Current Design

• China Current Design

• A Beret is all I need!!

• 5 gallon bucket baby!!

• Rambo bandana

• Rabinex

• Total voters

godofthunder9010

I'm hoping this isn't a repeat topic, but what does everyone think? What is the best shape for a soldiers helmet?

Reason I'm saying that way is that, as nearly as I can tell, a WW2 German helmet made from modern kevlar, etc, would best design for protecting a soldier's head. The problem with that one is that nobody want's to look like a bunch of Nazis these days.

Lemme know if there are options to add and I'll add them.

Well, the current US helmet looks alot like the WWII german ones...That is why some people dont want it in the IDF

You dont have a link to a site with pictures of the helmets do you? i cant remember or dont know what some of them look like. thanks

SHERMAN said:
Well, the current US helmet looks alot like the WWII german ones...That is why some people dont want it in the IDF

It's very similar. And the Bundeswehr have adopted it now too so you have German soldiers who look like they are in the Wehrmacht.

well im old school so here goes

Its the WWII american steel pot. it was headgear and protection, foot soaker, shaving bowl (the old field manuals show you how to set up wash stations to do this) cookpot (killed the temper..but cooked large amounts of rations great) egg holder, near sighted turtle hump trainer, and so many more uses...

now a days..you wear it. I mean they could have come up with a kevlar inner helmet liner (the previous ones were fiberglass/fiberboard..it could have been done if they just wanted a kevlar contract) and saved themselves some bucks..oh no. they need a thick helment with plenty of drill space and thickness to hold all those future super gadgets.

nope..nope...nope its a steel pot for me

Something to consider. WW2 German helmet provides fewer points of entry for a lethal shrapnel or bullet to the head than any other. Sure, go right ahead and modernize it so you can stick all the modern gadgets and crap on it.

Here's another thought. What are these soldiers missing:
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/world_war_2_photos/images/ww2_111.jpg
http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/german_soldier.jpg

that these people are not missing?
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2003-04/7428185.jpg
http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/royalfus1916.JPG

I'm going to say the current military design, PASGT. Why do we need a helmet that can cook our food when we have chemical heaters for our MREs? Besides, do you really want to be sitting around without your helmet on with a fire and smoke going that would give away your position? It just seems like a bad idea to me.

But the new and improved helmet don't even use kevlar anymore. I know the Marines are adopting a new lightweight helmet to replace the kevlar PASGT.

The rather new swedish helmet also have somewhat of resemblence with the old german WWII helmet so I gues that shape are good.

Hmmm, the EDIT button doesn't let me change the poll options ... :evil:

On those sets of links, anybody notice that the Germans didn't have their chinstraps fastened? The helmet fits well enough its pretty effective without the strap. Of course they had them too, that' goes without saying.
The rather new swedish helmet also have somewhat of resemblence with the old german WWII helmet so I gues that shape are good.
Its really quite simple. The German design fits the human head better and doesn't leave as much of your head exposed as many of the other designs. Look at the USA and UK's helmets from the same era. WW1 UK was only helpful if you got hit from mid-forehead up or showered with projectiles from above. That link farther up for some modern riot gear helmets, as may notice, works on the same pricipal.

Still, no protection is quite like a Rambo Bandana. It scares bullets away so they can't hit you. You don't even need a flak vest or any sort of protection at all. Now THAT is impressive.

Since I don't appear to be able to change the poll options, can a mod or admin please fix the poll by adding the suggestions posted thusfar. Rabinex and Rambo Bandana were the main ones that I'm remembering.

egoz said:
...I'm going to say the current military design, PASGT. Why do we need a helmet that can cook our food when we have chemical heaters for our MREs? Besides, do you really want to be sitting around without your helmet on with a fire and smoke going that would give away your position? It just seems like a bad idea to me...

in reply: well good thinking on your part..but the warfare im used wasnt always perfect logistics. No..in a front forward situation..you didnt even smoke if you didnt want to get a bullet back down the ciggarette. But when you were in the back areas...sometimes, we were stuck in places for weeks..tented down in a non-permanent area...with really no amenities but what we had with us. You used basically what you had..and the ole steel pot was indeed put to some of the uses i described.

it was really funny the day we encountered the native guy that sold us all these cans of beef something or another..and we had no opener..and no pots..and no stoves to cook it in. we wound up sacrificing one helment..using it to boil water to heat the cans..and then discovering our army pocket knives had this weird hawk shaped blade that really opened cans.

Yes forward logistics and lodging and eating have really changed..over the years. but sometimes just being able to break the mold of how you do things and think what you can do with what you got..can make the difference. :D

The funny thing about helmets is that what you need all depends on what you are doing. Sometimes no protection is just as good as a big bulky helmet. As far as general use goes, just about anything that can stop shrapnel and fits well will work. Alot of special ops groups use rappelling style helmets due to the fact they stand less than a 1% chance of being hit in the head and would rather protect agains falling or buming thier heads into something.

Back