Most Devastating and Widespread War before the 20th Century?

--

August 6th, 2004  
Paddster

Topic: Most Devastating and Widespread War before the 20th Century?

Hmm, I've thought about this for a long time, what was the largest and greatest war before the two world wars?

I'd hazard a guess and say the Napoleonic Wars, what do you think?
August 6th, 2004  
ENRG

I'd say (for those you've red my post in the other historic topics)
the Roman Legions one big war. (They were at war with everyone at the time, and succeded)

But that's just me.. A Roman Legion fan
August 6th, 2004  
Shadowalker

Napoleonic wars would be my say but greece vs persia did last centuries and that would be my 2nd choice!
--
August 7th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The Mongol conquests of the 1200's left something around 4 million plus dead, and at a time in history when that constituted a much bigger chunk of the World population. Since these were a series of successive wars, and not a war between two specific sides, it can't be classified as a single war even though it didn't stop after beginning.

EDIT: Correction, 4 million was the approximate deathtoll during the life of Ghengis Khan and does not account for his successors.
August 13th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

30 Years War
August 15th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
30 Years War
Anyone got a reasonably accurate source for the death toll of that attrocity?
August 15th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Ive seen figures pointing 300,000 dead dou to battle, with the European population dipping from 21,000,000 to 13,500,00 as a direct cause of the war.
August 15th, 2004  
Damien435

Definetly the Napoleanic Wars, when you think about it that was the frist World War, even America became involved in them, we know it as the War of 1812, funny thing about that, it was not until Napolean was defeated and the British were able to focus all of their attention on America that we started to win.
November 5th, 2004  
visser

what about the civil war guys?
November 5th, 2004  
visser

i mean poor medical tecnology bad tactics by grant which killed thousends