The most contreversial operation of WW2

Okay, you see we had people that worked with him everyday, one of his top generals was actually a CIA operative, i forget his name but i will get it for you later, he reported to the CIA that he would be left alone with Hitler and only like 2 other people about twice a week and had a perfect opportunity to kill him, yet the CIA told him not to.

Also there was another operation where, in a joint operation with the British, we were going to assassinate him in his summer home, we had it all, blueprints(schematics if you prefer), Guard rotations, guard numbers, radio check in's. we had everything timed, we even had double agents in his summer home, yet we didn't go through with it.

I believe it was because many people thought that Hitler was just a pawn for someone much more worse, and if we did assassinate Hitler then someone smarter would take his place, we had every opportunity to take him out yet we did not, so i can only assume it was for fear of another replacing him.

Okay, you see we had people that worked with him everyday, one of his top generals was actually a CIA operative, i forget his name but i will get it for you later, he reported to the CIA that he would be left alone with Hitler and only like 2 other people about twice a week and had a perfect opportunity to kill him, yet the CIA told him not to.

The CIA wasn't created till after WWII. You must be thinking of OSS, and Ive never heard of one of his "top generals' being OSS or anything else. Schlabrendorff, Stauffenberg, Thomas, and Tresckow and the rest of the July 20th plot had no contact with the allies IIRC.

If anyone was going to replace him It would of been a non-Nazi General, that had always been the plan. Himmler would have never been allowed by the Army to take power.

I'll get the guy's name for you when i see it again. Maybe it wasn't CIA but it was some kind of American intelligence agency.

The CIA? This organization was not created until way after World War II. Perhaps you are thinking of the FBI or OSS......and even this is doubtful. Okay, perhaps it is time to revisit some good textbooks. Hitler was very difficult to get to for even his main generals and almost no one had open door access to Hitler.....Eva Braun even had to take a number to see him.

way after???
CIA wasn't created way after WW2, CIA was created in 1947 just two years after WW2 not way after.

Actually if you had scene the stuff we had on him it would have freaked you out, we knew everything about Hitler, if we had wanted him dead he would have been dead.

I'm sorry, but I think you've fallen victim to some conspiracy ring. I dont think we ever got that close to Hitler, and I know a fair deel about the German Resistance circle...

trust me on this, i read the man's personal account, he stated very clearly that he had multiple face-to-face meetings with Hitler and that he could have easily capped him(not in those exact words) yet was told to back down by American intel.

Capped why the hell did i just use that word.

Okay, if you say so, but I beg to differ. The CIA, as we know it today, as independent intelligence agency did not come about until the early 1960s – I am unsure, but I will say 1963 or 1964. I do think you are likely talking about the National Security Act of 1947. And while this did form a central intelligence agency controlled by national security council – it was not truly an “agency” as it is seen today and it certainly is not controlled by NSC. In fact the military continued to handle most of their intelligence until well after the Korean conflict with the FBI keep the civilian intelligence.

If I were an allied comander I wouldn't want Hitler dead to soon as then the Soviets would overrun Europe fast if we wouldnt yet have a foothold in Europe, as at that time the etrocities werent known to the allies yet.

I'm sayng these because if the allies were to kill Hitler there would be a power struggle maybe even a civil war in Germany because the oposition would not be prepared. And a nations front lines don't behave so good when it is in civil war (imagine Russia in 1917).

When Staufenberg blew his briefcase in the Hitlerbunker it was only the tip of the iceberg. Minutes after the atempt the oposing generals broadcasted Hitlers death and tried to asume control of the govermant. They were hoping on names like Rommel to get the peoples trust and support to prevent a civil war, that is also one of the main reasons why most of them were executed so swiftly as they imedietly exposed themsefs.

Now back on topic I have another couple of suggestions:

1.) Dunkerque as the Germans let the Brits escape.
2.) Leningrad for not taking the city on the run.

So its not only allies ;)

Well actually the French resistance did really kick the crap out of the Nazi's, they did more damage then the French's standing army.

the resistance was only a militia.

Yea, but only on a limited level, Im talking about the full wieght of the Heer being pulled from Russia If such a coup ever went down, and nobodies overcoming that easilly, especially not some poorly armed civilians.

Throw on top of it that Hitler built such a potent police state, its unlikely anyone would have bothered to try revolting. If they did revolt, they'd die very quickly and all evidence of a rebellion would have been wiped from memory.

Who's to say that a civil war would only had been civilians? While they likely would not have stood a chance, it seems to me that there was the very real possibility of it having turned out military on military, with the German forces and generals split. In that situation either side could have won, and the cost to the armed forces would likely have been attrocious so long as neither side was willing to step down or until both sides saw and rememberred that they had enemies outside their own border aswell.

As for the most controversial operation, I don't know if it had a name, so it could have already been mentioned, but so far, it seems that the German bombing of British cities has not come up. It may just be that this is because it probably was not so much of a controversy but rather more just a complete failure, but I think it atleast deserves mention.

German bombing of British cities has not come up

What, the London Blitz?

Well anyways, the bombing campaign of the USA and the UK managed to intentially kill a lot more civilians that he Germans ever managed to do. Had nothing to do with the Germans not wanting to return the favor of course.

Back