The Mosquito

The Mosquito is my favorite WWII era aircraft. I didn't know the first version of it was unarmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsnMKzmdWs

Brilliant aeroplane, she was an amazing versatile aircraft, apart from what was described in the video, she was also used by the OSS with a radio operator sitting on a fuel bladder in the fuselage on operations in France before D Day.

Sadly there was some delamination of wood while on operations in the Far East due to the humidity. What's also sad, there are none flying in the UK. Instead of giving billions in overseas aid to Africa dictators, some of that money should be used to rectify the lack of assistance in British historical achievements. Its disgraceful that apart from the Mosquito there are no airworthy Wellingtons, Halifax bombers to name just a few.

Brilliant aeroplane, she was an amazing versatile aircraft, apart from what was described in the video, she was also used by the OSS with a radio operator sitting on a fuel bladder in the fuselage on operations in France before D Day.

Sadly there was some delamination of wood while on operations in the Far East due to the humidity. What's also sad, there are none flying in the UK. Instead of giving billions in overseas aid to Africa dictators, some of that money should be used to rectify the lack of assistance in British historical achievements. Its disgraceful that apart from the Mosquito there are no airworthy Wellingtons, Halifax bombers to name just a few.

Talking to a guy who worked for Avspecs Ardmore a few days ago about what the can do regarding the mosquito and apparently for around $4 million they can build one from scratch now.

Talking to a guy who worked for Avspecs Ardmore a few days ago about what the can do regarding the mosquito and apparently for around $4 million they can build one from scratch now.

To be honest I'm surprised this hasnt been done before, the blue prints of the aircraft must still be available, also for the Wellington and Halifax. Of course there are some parts simply not available anymore, but in the UK as well as around the world there are small companies churning out all manner of obscure parts and items.

Last edited:

A great addition to the NZ air force, but I think it needs a fighter, so why not go for the Spitfire? :-D Because I know, the Kiwi air force doesn't have a fighter

A great addition to the NZ air force, but I think it needs a fighter, so why not go for the Spitfire? :-D Because I know, the Kiwi air force doesn't have a fighter

To be honest all we need is a long range interceptor for defense, neither the army nor navy is essential to the defense of an isolated island nation.

To be honest I'm surprised this hasnt been done before, the blue prints of the aircraft must still be available, also for the Wellington and Halifax. Of course there are some parts simply not available anymore, but in the UK as well as around the world there are small companies churning all manner of obscure parts and items.

From what I gather they have the maintenance and repair equipment from the RNZAF when we used them and the development of 3D printing has helped as well.

Last edited:
To be honest all we need is a long range interceptor for defense, neither the army nor navy is essential to the defense of an isolated island nation.

From what I gather they have the maintenance and repair equipment from the RNZAF when we used them and the development of 3D printing has helped as well.

Funny that you mention 3D printing, I've taken it up as a new hobby:p

On a TV program a US pilot was talking about flying unarmed Photo recon missions over Germany.

Flying a Mosquito?

Without guns the Mosquito PR was one the of the fastest aeroplanes and longest range in the Allied Fleet, the only aircraft as far as I am aware that would catch her is the ME262.

Flying a Mosquito?

Without guns the Mosquito PR was one the of the fastest aeroplanes and longest range in the Allied Fleet, the only aircraft as far as I am aware that would catch her is the ME262.

Strangely I have heard a lot of RAF pilots preferred the P-38 Lightening for recon.

Strangely I have heard a lot of RAF pilots preferred the P-38 Lightening for recon.

From what I have read the RAF disassociated itself from Lockheed.

During the Second World War, Adolf Hitler’s Luftwaffe was considered a formidable, ominous enemy by Allied pilots who took on the German planes over Europe and North Africa.

But one Allied aircraft gave the Germans pause because its unusual design and unique flight capabilities made it a formidable foe.

The P-38 Lightning fighter aircraft was a huge asset to the Americans when they joined the war in 1941. Though Britain’s Royal Air Force (RAF) chose to sever its ties with the plane’s manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, America was quick to accept it.

The plane came about in 1937 as the result of a proposal put forth by the U.S. Army Corps. A designer at Lockheed, Kelly Johnson, came up with the P-38 and won the bid.

The Army’s specific requirement was to have a plane that could fly faster than other fighter planes. The P-38 delivered: it could fly 395 mph, when pressed, and travel 1,000 miles, though not at that speed.

Johnson’s plane had other unusual features: twin, liquid-cooled engines; a slim, centered spot in which the pilot could sit; two machine guns; and a 20-millimeter cannon. It could climb to dizzying heights at an unprecedented rate, and even came equipped with a mechanism that softened the engine’s noise.

But the P-38 had its share of drawbacks, too, some of which caused fatalities. Its unusual design led to habitual locking of the controls, and pilots had to be specially trained to deal with this and other problems.

Because of irregularities in its temperature control system, pilots were often subjected to freezing cold temperatures, even when flying in hot climates.

These are the issues that led the RAF to dismiss its contract with Lockheed, but the Americans quickly stepped in after the attack on Pearl Harbour in December 1941.

Yes, surprised me too.

I read somewhere (or watched on TV) that the OSS used the Mosquito for operations contacting resistance fighters and groups on the run up to D Day. The OSS operator would be sitting on a long range fuel bladder in the fuselage.

From what I have read the RAF disassociated itself from Lockheed.

During the Second World War, Adolf Hitler’s Luftwaffe was considered a formidable, ominous enemy by Allied pilots who took on the German planes over Europe and North Africa.

But one Allied aircraft gave the Germans pause because its unusual design and unique flight capabilities made it a formidable foe.

The P-38 Lightning fighter aircraft was a huge asset to the Americans when they joined the war in 1941. Though Britain’s Royal Air Force (RAF) chose to sever its ties with the plane’s manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, America was quick to accept it.

The plane came about in 1937 as the result of a proposal put forth by the U.S. Army Corps. A designer at Lockheed, Kelly Johnson, came up with the P-38 and won the bid.

The Army’s specific requirement was to have a plane that could fly faster than other fighter planes. The P-38 delivered: it could fly 395 mph, when pressed, and travel 1,000 miles, though not at that speed.

Johnson’s plane had other unusual features: twin, liquid-cooled engines; a slim, centered spot in which the pilot could sit; two machine guns; and a 20-millimeter cannon. It could climb to dizzying heights at an unprecedented rate, and even came equipped with a mechanism that softened the engine’s noise.

But the P-38 had its share of drawbacks, too, some of which caused fatalities. Its unusual design led to habitual locking of the controls, and pilots had to be specially trained to deal with this and other problems.

Because of irregularities in its temperature control system, pilots were often subjected to freezing cold temperatures, even when flying in hot climates.

These are the issues that led the RAF to dismiss its contract with Lockheed, but the Americans quickly stepped in after the attack on Pearl Harbour in December 1941.
Sometime, thinking late 43 or early 44, Hap Arnold sent a letter to his Air Force Commanders asking if they objected to cancelling the P-38/39/40. Gen. Kenny, Commander of the 5th Air Force, responded that he didn't object to cancelling the 39 & 40, but the 38 was essential for his Ops area. It could fly on 1 engine, vs a controlled crash, & the long range was needed because most of the S. W. Pacific Theater was vast oceans, jungled land & merciless Japs. He did say that they could cancell if a twin engine was developed with a decent % of top speed and range. This requirement was most likely why the "Twin Mustang" was created.

I read somewhere (or watched on TV) that the OSS used the Mosquito for operations contacting resistance fighters and groups on the run up to D Day. The OSS operator would be sitting on a long range fuel bladder in the fuselage.
There was a Bomb Squadron that worked for the OSS that had removed the ball turret and installed a hatch to facilitate dropping agents.

There was a Bomb Squadron that worked for the OSS that had removed the ball turret and installed a hatch to facilitate dropping agents.

I take it you mean a B17 Squadron?

The RAF used a number of different types, including the Lysander, which would land in occupied France to drop off or pick up SOE agents and others, the Halifax was often used as well as the Whitley, Lockheed Hudson, Short Sterling, and C47

The Royal Air Force Special Duties (SD) Service was a secret air service created to provide air transport to support the resistance movement in Axis controlled territories. The service helped develop and support the resistance by bringing in agents, wireless operators and supplies. Parachute drop was the primary method by which the Special Duties units delivered supplies and most of the agents to the occupied countries. They also developed an air taxi service to pick up agents, political leaders and special communications from occupied Europe and bring them to England. On the outward flight the air taxi service also delivered agents and high value packages to France. Special Duties flights flew to target fields in Vichy France, Occupied France, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, and Greece. By the end of the war Special Duties units were also operating in the Far East. The air units were controlled by the Royal Air Force, and worked closely with the SOE and the SIS.

You'd think they would have used the YB-40, think they were abandoned.

Why?
On the whole it was a failure, it was to heavy to keep up with the bomber stream it was meant to protect and had all the same weaknesses.

Back