Mosin-Nagant and accuracy

misterhamtastic

We don't have much money, but we want to get a rifle or two for basic uses. We have been looking at the Mosin-Nagant and I can't seem to get the accuracy of it nailed down.

Anything you know on this rifle or something comparable will help.

Well Simo Hayha used the Moisin-Nagant to get 505 confirmed kills on Soviet soldiers during the Winter War. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it will be plenty accurate for what you're planning to use it for.

The Mosin Nagant was a very good if (in some eyes) bit of a crude rifle. The 7.62x54 is ballistically very similar to the .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO.

Personally, they are well worth having.

I am interested in this thread as well. Personally I have always had an interest in War Era service rifles and would be keen to see what this thread turns up.

As for Mr. BritinAfrica's statements,

The proof is in the gel.

In the late ‘90’s I lived in Arkansas where the local gun shop was selling surplus Mosin Nagant’s (as Russian “Sniper Rifles”) for $40-$100, they even had a synthetic “sport” stock and would drill them for a scope if you wanted.

They sold a lot of them and I never heard anyone complain about accuracy problems.

For use as a basic rifle the M-91/30 should be fine. You might even find an M-1891 that was made in France or the US. The 98 Mauser or Enfield wouldn't a bad choice either.

For use as a basic rifle the M-91/30 should be fine. You might even find an M-1891 that was made in France or the US. The 98 Mauser or Enfield wouldn't a bad choice either.

Indeed your choices here are tough, many good rifles to draw from.

But I always am on the lookout for catrige reviews when paired with these rifles.

For I find it interesting that the calibers of this time period were not standardnized by NATO or Warsaw Pact Regulations after the war an essetial each to it's own devleoping country.

Each rifle had a projectile with it's own story paired with it. Hence why I am curious about user reviews of the Nagat and it's 7.62x54 ammunition.

Last edited:
The problem with the Lee Enfield, it can be very difficult to get accurate, it depends on the individual example. I've had Lee Enfield's in my workshop that were impossible to get a group smaller then 24 inches at 100 yards, while others are very tight groupers.

What has destroyed so many Lee Enfield's is issue cordite ammunition with corrosive primers, cordite burns far hotter then other propellent's leading to erosion of the chamber throat. IF you decide on a Lee Enfield, check out the barrel very carefully.

A better rifle in my opinion is the Enfield P14 or P17 built by Winchester in 303 British and 30-06 respectively, quite a few have been rebarrelled in South Africa to take the 375 H&H, its a very strong and robust action.

As far as I am aware, all P14 rifles converted to sniper rifles were Winchester built.

Last edited:
For I find it interesting that the calibers of this time period were not standardnized by NATO or Warsaw Pact Regulations.

Each rifle had a projectile with it's own story paired with it. Hence why I am curious about user reviews of the Nagat and it's 7.62x54 ammunition.
NATO/Warsaw Pact are post WWII. These rifles predate that by decades, all having been designed in the 1890s. The M-N, K98, (the 1903 Springfield is basicly a 98 Mauser), Enfield were designed when even minor countries like Montenegro had their own cartridges as a point of national pride. The 7.62X54R, 303, 30-03 & 8X57 originally had round nose bullets & probably wouldn't have lasted long if the Germans hadn't developed the Spitzer bullet. They are all in the high power battle rifle class. On the M-N I'd avoid the short barrelled M-44 & 91/59, they can pop you pretty good.

NATO/Warsaw Pact are post WWII. These rifles predate that by decades, all having been designed in the 1890s. The M-N, K98, (the 1903 Springfield is basicly a 98 Mauser), Enfield were designed when even minor countries like Montenegro had their own cartridges as a point of national pride. The 7.62X54R, 303, 30-03 & 8X57 originally had round nose bullets & probably wouldn't have lasted long if the Germans hadn't developed the Spitzer bullet. They are all in the high power battle rifle class. On the M-N I'd avoid the short barrelled M-44 & 91/59, they can pop you pretty good.

I ca't believe I just made such a obvious typing error.

I essentially was speaking of the patch work of different types of ammunition of the various fighting powers of the Second World War.

I can't believe I stated that.

Sorry for the confusion.

The problem with the Lee Enfield, it can be very difficult to get accurate, it depends on the individual example. I've had Lee Enfield's in my workshop that were impossible to get a group smaller then 24 inches at 100 yards, while others are very tight groupers.

What has destroyed so many Lee Enfield's is issue cordite ammunition with corrosive primers, cordite burns far hotter then other propellent's leading to erosion of the chamber throat. IF you decide on a Lee Enfield, check out the barrel very carefully.

A better rifle in my opinion is the Enfield P14 or P17 built by Winchester in 303 British and 30-06 respectively, quite a few have been rebarrelled in South Africa to take the 375 H&H, its a very strong and robust action.

As far as I am aware, all P14 rifles converted to sniper rifles were Winchester built.

I saw my cousin drop a running hog at 75-100 yards with a .303 Enfield - he used it a lot and swore by it.

I ca't believe I just made such a obvious typing error.

I essentially was speaking of the patch work of different types of ammunition of the various fighting powers of the Second World War.

I can't believe I stated that.

Sorry for the confusion.
About the only "Standardization" in Europe was the high sucsess of the Mauser Co. selling/licenciing the K-98 & variants, mostly in 8X57, to a large number of Counties in Europe & elsewhere.

About the only "Standardization" in Europe was the high sucsess of the Mauser Co. selling/licenciing the K-98 & variants, mostly in 8X57, to a large number of Counties in Europe & elsewhere.

You would be surprised where some of those ended up.

I currently own six Mosin Nagant rifles. One is a Finnish M39, one is a Polish M44, one is a Soviet M48, and the other three are Soviet M1891/30s. Out of them all the Finn M39 is the most accurate rifle. The others will hit man of minute at typical engagement ranges 350-400 yards without any problems.

They are good rifles but not worth customizing. The amount of mony you would dump into one is more then buying an off the shelf commercial hunting rifle.

Get them for what they are... military surplus rifles.

Oh, before I forget... the moment you have two Mosin Nagants and leave them alone they go at it like rabbits and two become four, four become eight, etc...

Moisins are crude, cheap, reliable and fire a very potent round.
They are very accurate-check bore condition-they vary greatly.
f you want a good gun cheap, you can't do better.
You can find sporter stocks and add bling, but not really worth the trouble.

Back