Moscow to sell 250 Sukhoi 30MK to Iran

Huge order if it goes though

That would be be some order for Russia to nail down and as much as I don't want Iran to have those aircraft, way overdue. The French systems most likely can be replaced by pure Russian by now or close to it. The Su-35 is suppose be pure Russian so why not a Su-30 version. I can only assume even if the deal was signed next month were still talking almost three years before deliveries would begin in heavy numbers. The not so good thing for our forces and that of our allies is by then a Russian ASEA radar should be operational. It should still take four to six years with good maintenance and training for them to get good with their Flankers. F-22s should still handle them pretty well and they have to land sometimes. Once on the ground their targets like anything else but capabilities wise a big step up for them. Iran will be able to force issues to nearby nations that lack F-22s in the region. Another thing to think about is the just the pure range of a Flanker with an average weapons load figure around 900 miles. They will to able to extend this range with drop tanks which the Su-35 will have and will assume newer Su-30s could be setup up the same. With fuel tankers even longer so Iran might be able to project air power in the region. I'm not saying they could or will I'm just saying aircraft wise the Flanker gives them options. Right now until a contract is signed and aircraft begin to be produced it's a paper thing only. I like paper it's good for writing on.
icon7.gif

I doubt this is actually going to happen. They won't sell them 25 of these toys, let alone 250.

But Ruskies are gonna upgrade Iranian MiG-29s and Su-24s

Iran upgrades

The Mig-29 if upgraded could be useful short range point defense fighters maybe a little more. The Su-24 interests me because with their payload and range they could be useful platforms. Russia was going to upgrade a bunch of their own at one time not sure if they really did it or not. All types of smart weapons, anti-radar, anti-ship, air launched cruise missiles could be setup on this cold war striker. Radar upgrade and weapons system upgrade and your set there must be hundreds of engines and other parts that could be found at Russian bone yards right, or grounded airframes? I thought China and Iran were close and waiting for that big J-10 deal to be signed but nothing.

The Mig-29 if upgraded could be useful short range point defense fighters maybe a little more. The Su-24 interests me because with their payload and range they could be useful platforms. Russia was going to upgrade a bunch of their own at one time not sure if they really did it or not. All types of smart weapons, anti-radar, anti-ship, air launched cruise missiles could be setup on this cold war striker. Radar upgrade and weapons system upgrade and your set there must be hundreds of engines and other parts that could be found at Russian bone yards right, or grounded airframes? I thought China and Iran were close and waiting for that big J-10 deal to be signed but nothing.

J-10 has some Israeli avionics and it will not be authorised to be exported to Iran.

Su-24s of the Iranian AF have been previously seen flying over Mediteranean and Indian ocean supported by Iranian AF KC-135A tankers. Moreover, Iranian air force pilots were given extensive training in Ukraine a few years ago on methods of delivering nuclear weapons by their Su-24s.

I'm concerned about the fleet of IRIAF Su-24s stationed at Shiraz 7th TFW AB (southern part of Iran).

Israeli avionics

phoenix80
J-10 has some Israeli avionics and it will not be authorized to be exported to Iran.
I think your thinking of the Lavi, I have only heard and read pure Chinese equipment besides engine AL-31 being used. A Chinese WS10 engine or WS13 engine is being planned for future J-10s. I'm sure ideas were used from that design as well maybe getting a peek under the hood of an Pakistan Viper as well.
icon7.gif

Back