MOS 9972

rodryr1

I have a degree of Knowledge in the area of recruiting. I'm a former active Marine. 86-96. That included 3 years as a recruiter. So the first thing I want to point out is leaning on an active recruiter for answers is not always mean the answer is correct. Any good recruiter will admit we were still learning things after a three year tour. And sometimes our seniors were not always correct when it came to several MOS Questions or Mos placement & also Schools. I've seen the Program guide (MCO 1130.53P)appears it has remained the same since 2002? Is this correct? There have been a few changes over the years. The most interesting is the EOP (Enlistment option program) is option AG (Enlisted Flight Crew). Could Someone bring me up to speed? I actually discussed this with 2 persons I know to be fine Marines. One recruiting station SSGT. Who I had to teach a couple things to after his answer. (LOL). The other a prior enlisted Marine who is now a Capt. and 53 Pilot. He leaned on a Gunny who was a crew Chief to try & shed some light on this for me. None of the information was the same. My questions were rather simple. Upon completion of The Navel Aircrew Canidates School a Marine is designated mos 9972 Air Crew canidate. Is this correct? If so, whats next? When is the Marine Designated his primary Airframe & primary MOS? What primary occupations specifically can a 9972 be placed in to? (Please don't use anything from "About Military.com" I can point out incorrect info on that site all day long.) And what Schools follow Aircrew Canidate School? In the "Old days" LOL , most Crew chiefs seem to filter into the spot/ of Crew Chief MOS after serving time in "Other" related primary occupations. It appears to me The Corps now starts training young Marines for the job right out of the gate. I'm interested in learning how this has changed over the years. & when the young Marines learn there primary mos placement? & also when do they receive Air Crew wings? Thanks, Semper Fi "1/6 Hard"

I have a degree of Knowledge in the area of recruiting. I'm a former active Marine. 86-96. That included 3 years as a recruiter. So the first thing I want to point out is leaning on an active recruiter for answers is not always mean the answer is correct. Any good recruiter will admit we were still learning things after a three year tour. And sometimes our seniors were not always correct when it came to several MOS Questions or Mos placement & also Schools. I've seen the Program guide (MCO 1130.53P)appears it has remained the same since 2002? Is this correct? There have been a few changes over the years. The most interesting is the EOP (Enlistment option program) is option AG (Enlisted Flight Crew). Could Someone bring me up to speed? I actually discussed this with 2 persons I know to be fine Marines. One recruiting station SSGT. Who I had to teach a couple things to after his answer. (LOL). The other a prior enlisted Marine who is now a Capt. and 53 Pilot. He leaned on a Gunny who was a crew Chief to try & shed some light on this for me. None of the information was the same. My questions were rather simple. Upon completion of The Navel Aircrew Canidates School a Marine is designated mos 9972 Air Crew canidate. Is this correct? If so, whats next? When is the Marine Designated his primary Airframe & primary MOS? What primary occupations specifically can a 9972 be placed in to? (Please don't use anything from "About Military.com" I can point out incorrect info on that site all day long.) And what Schools follow Aircrew Canidate School? In the "Old days" LOL , most Crew chiefs seem to filter into the spot/ of Crew Chief MOS after serving time in "Other" related primary occupations. It appears to me The Corps now starts training young Marines for the job right out of the gate. I'm interested in learning how this has changed over the years. & when the young Marines learn there primary mos placement? & also when do they receive Air Crew wings? Thanks, Semper Fi "1/6 Hard"

So if you are a recruiter why do you ask the people on this here site?
And why do you need this information?

//KJ.

You are correct CAPTIVO !

YES, I'm interested in knowing how things have changed. 1996 To present does cover several years. 96 was my last active year. And after a recent visit to MCRD San Diego & Camp Pendleton I can say without a doubt. Things have changed Alot. This is good...Mostly :). There was a degree of charecter building that took place during mess duty..LOL You younger Brother Marines have had to miss a few sights and sounds of the OLE' Boot camp chow hall ! DECK Private Target ! Deck Private DEAD COW ! can I get a Amen from any Older Marines?

Trust me..... since my ten years of service with three years on recruiting many things have changed !

One thing I'm happy to say. I'm very Happy to see the quality of the men and Women that make up our Corps today. Semper Fi.

Last edited:
Ok, since I was obviously unclear.

Why this particular question?
Are you trying to help someone enlist in the USMC under this MOS?

//KJ.

Well as one can´t just post a smiley I will have to write something as well...:mrgreen: There ya go..

Reply to all

I'll try & cover the above Questions. 1. Yes, I know of a young man who has completed MCT & is scheduled to get orders to Naval Aircrew Canidate School.
I'm trying to get some info for myself.

As for the other post from above "9972 no longer exists as a MOS."
From what I previously understood 9972 was the designator used to identify a "Air Crew Canidate". Following clasification as a 9972 the primary MOS is assigned later.

If the if 9972 is no longer used then what is the designator used now?

Air Crew trainees are now 8972 all previous enlisted MOS designators from the 9900 field are now 89.

Crew Chiefs are 61 field.

Load masters,airiel refuelers and enlisted navigators are 73.

Back