"Mortar Bar"

Damien

You folks who have been deployed inthe middle east may have seen this for real, but I heard it from an air force flight nurse and thought it was pretty funny...

Somewhere, I believe in Afghanistan, there is a base with an Aussie owned bar called the "Mortar Bar." What they would do in this bar is, during a Mortar attack, they would run up to the roof with lawn chairs and sit and watch the mortars come in. When asked why they don't run for cover, one of the Aussie bartenders said "Well, for one, I'd like to see it coming if I'm gonna get killed by one."

Jacob said:
Could you pleas show us?
Thanks.

43%20angrep%20N329.JPG

The smoke cloud on top of the hill in the background is actually a Lebanese platoon base under attack by mortars..
That base alone was attacked over 25 times during my 6 months in Lebanon,
and we could sit in our "pool"/bar area and film/take photos of it.... :shock:
A Norwegian squad base is just a couple of hundreds meters to the left of it by the way.
(had to go in their shelter everytime that base was under attack.)

43%20poolbar%202.JPG

A picture from our "pool" area (water reservoir for fire helicopters).. 8)
The hill you see on the left side of the picture is the same one as in the first picture,
so we had a good view of it when things happened there..

n329nedlag.jpg

A close-up of the same base during (yet) another mortar attack...

All pictures taken by me, from my base in Lebanon.
I've got lots of other similar pictures, but these are the only ones I've scanned on my computer.
Wasn't many digital cameras around when I served abroad....

Ahh, the memories... :)

Oh yeah... 8)

But it's (unfortunately) not always as good as that..

We stayed 20+ years in Lebanon, and that position was one of the first ones to be built, so it's been improved (a bit) thru the years..
The pool is really a water reservoir for fire helicopters, and it was actually used a few times when I was down there
(it's extremelly dry there during the summer).
But it didn't hurt that they improved it a bit when it was going to be built anyway.. :D
The temperature climbed to 50-55C (122-131F) in the shadow during the hottest days..

Back