More updates on my Marine life

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Weekend UpdateThings keep happening at the 63rd... so here are more updates on the past week!
FTX... and Revolutionizing Camouflage
I'm not sure entirely what it stands for. Field Tactics Exercise? But what I know now all too well what it's about. I packed my complete gear, back pack, rifle, flak jacket, blanket, A-tent, tent pins, poncho, floor mat, sleeping bag, water, etc. basically everything minus ammunition and set out for a 2 day trip around the island. My pack was the heaviest in the platoon because I was helping the radio op carry some of his stuff. Evidently we took a few too many things from his pack which actually made his pack a bit lighter than mine! But I didn't make a fuss about it since, hey, I'm pretty hard core about this sort of stuff.
First day we set out and took up positions along some defensive line. I think it was our teritary defensive position. Then we trekked all the way over to the firing range and set up camp, spent a night there... fooled around with more frogs.
The thing is, since I am relatively new to this rifle unit, that was my first time since boot camp in setting up the A-tent. And in fact, it was the first time I slept in one because in boot camp we had a friggin' typhoon blowing our way so we had to break the tents down and retreat like hell to a real building.
About the frogs... word has now spread across the battalion that I am a frog eating maniac. No, not dead, cooked or fried frogs. Frogs that are still alive and jumping. Yes, it can be done. You catch a frog, and it'll be struggling for its life and you just put it in your mouth and chew. Tastes a bit weird, but I've eaten worse. But this time around I didn't eat any frogs since I am now under orders to not eat frogs but the morning after the night in the A-tent, I revolutionized camouflage. In addition to the foliage I added to my helmet, I also added a frog. Flora AND fauna. Surely no enemy would ever suspect a hard core, murderous Marine hiding under a frog! The thing is, when you stand up, the trip down is too far for the frog to try to jump it so it just kind of stays there. The captain and everyone saw it and got a real kick out of it. I overheard him talking to some other officers of the battalion, "he's a bit special." Special... but not as in Special Forces. Special as in mentally handicapped probably. :p
That final day of FTX somehow the lead platoon, 2nd platoon, had issues with radio and I had to act as messenger. So there I was running back and forth between platoons carrying the HQ platoon's heaviest backpack. Running back and forth over hills might I add.
FTX was pretty fun. We even got to shoot at targets at night. Ahhh you're thinking we were using night vision goggles. No, we did it the old fashioned way... eyeballing. "What the ****... I can't see anything... hmmm is that a sihoulette of a guy shaped target? Is it even mine? Errr... here goes nothing!" Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! And this is probably why we have friendly fire.
Standing Post... Poorly
Standing guard... I've been mother ****ed many times while standing guard. While you stand your post, sometimes an officer or an NCO will come by to check on how you're standing. It's a one man patrol. The funny thing is, I've managed to pick out a lot of guys sneaking up on us including the battalion CO, but whenever it was the 3rd platoon leader, I got screwed.
Yes, the first time I got caught it was my fault... this was a few weeks back. I was guard leader and with another Marine we stood outside the post for about an hour before it got so friggin' cold I said, "alright, let's go inside and warm our hands for a bit." Guess who decides to show up RIGHT there and then? 3rd Platoon leader. I got my ass chewed out for not standing my post properly. Then after he left and the other Marine sent a message to the command post about the patrol as we're supposed to.
The thing about Guard Post 4 is that it's ridiculously dark. There are a lot of trees in the area which make some of the paths almost invisible and it's a bit unfortunate that our company got to guard GP4.
This past week it wasn't about luck or anything, rather the Marine private I stood guard with. I had us positioned so we could cover the two angles which we were supposed to look and within these two angles of observation were the two paths the patrols usually came on. So I watched my sector and the other guy watched his... just not well enough. I even checked up on that jack ass to see if he was standing it right and he was going all "yes Corporal, I am watching the path." In order to not fall asleep we were talking... until suddenly from under our post (Guard Post 4 is elevated) a dog came out.
"What the ****?" I said. "What the **** is up with the dog? Private, have you been watching your area like you were supposed to?"
"Yes Corporal, I was."
"Then explain the dog."
"I think it's just a dog..."
Now I was pissed. Dogs don't just ****ing show up. Dogs come with someone. Always. You have stray cats in the area sure, but dogs are a different story. So I climbed down the post to check it out and under the post, there stood 2nd Lieutenant Lee waving at me. Bang, I'm dead.
The LT let me know the next time I'm caught like that, I'll be spending a weekend cleaning trash and shit instead of relaxing.
Now I was pissed off big time. I did my thing right, but the ****ing idiot wasn't paying attention and I am now in a bad position because of it. Then about five minutes later the guy goes, "am I supposed to call the command post?" ARRRRGGHHH!! The guy even went inside the post where the field phone is, so I thought the guy called the CP. The thing is, even though this guy is a private, this was like his 20th or so time standing post. People with far, FAR less experience don't screw up like this. Calling the CP after a patrol had come by is routine and for 99.9% of those who serve, automatic.
"Of course you're supposed to call, stupid!"
After he called CP and came out of the post I was ready to knock him senseless but instead I decided to be a bit nicer.
"Put down your rifle. Take off your helmet. On your head mother ****er." Basically it's a position where you support the weight of your body with your head and your two feet. Your body is arched with your butt sticking in the air and your hands are behind your back. I had him in that position for five minutes, fighting my urge to laugh at him for looking so stupid.
Oh I am evil.
A Marine called Eddie Chae
In the RoK Marines there are a few people, about 10, who have grown up almost exclusively overseas. I am one such person. Another is Lance Corporal Eddie Chae. I know a guy in my company who was with him at boot camp and was pretty friendly with him and so I managed to get an email address and a phone number. I sent one email months back and got no reply and as for the phone number (a cell phone number), I never called it before because junior enlistedmen cannot carry cell phones and so the only times he'd have it would be during leave or when someone comes to visit him and he gets a 3 day pass. Today I decided to call the number because I was bored out of my mind and guess what? This weekend just happened to be the weekend his parents decided to visit him. Incredible coincidence. Eddie was born in the US and lived there his whole life. Why he joined the RoKMC is a mystery. I guess my motives are a mystery to a lot of people as well. It was nice to hear from this guy and I told him not to kill himself.
The experience must have been weird as hell for this guy. All of a sudden, a phone rings, and there's another RoK Marine speaking to him in English. Somewhere in the middle of the conversation he said, "Uh, have we met?" Hell no. hahaha.
Other guys in our position have come from Spain, Bolivia and the UK. I also know a guy who was born in Berlin but lived in Korea for a good 12 years so he had no issues with Korean culture or language.
Next week I hear I'm going to start basic Amphibioius Raider training. I've been involved in a lot of other training programs but I showed up 1 week too late in my new unit to take part in this one. But now I have my chance. I'll see how I do and see what other stuff I can sign up for.
OOrah.

Your a fairly good writer, and if you produced a book of this stuff I would gladly buy it. Keep er comeing.

Back