More info should be required for membership

Charge 7

Master Gunner
I for one am sick of seeing these people show up as members here who provide no information about themselves. I think we should know where they're from and some details about them before they can become members of this forum.

Aye set up a wee thread saying 'who are you', and i shall happily fill in :p Do ppl not do that in the welcoming thread though? No idea

or make it mandatory that they have to fill out an intro thread like irishone said - and then refuse to participate, answer questions until done.

Or make it so they can't see the other sections until they post in that one...

An introduction post is mandatory. PMs are sent to those with empty profiles to provide a bit more information about themselves - we try to get as much 'basic' information about new members as possible, esp those claiming military service.

Those that wish to hide and play games do get weeded out eventually.

I am not sure there is more we can do - members can help by using the report feature or PMing a moderator if you question another member.

RnderSafe said:
Those that wish to hide and play games do get weeded out eventually.

Here's a thought for how to speed up that process. What if those who do not fill out their profile information have a time limit to do so? Give them one month say to provide the basic info that we all do who trully want to be a part of this community. If after that they have not done so, they get a reminder from a mod to do so and a temp ban for one week. If after that week they have not done so they are banned for good. I think that's fair to them and fair to the rest of us as well.

Charge 7 said:
I for one am sick of seeing these people show up as members here who provide no information about themselves. I think we should know where they're from and some details about them before they can become members of this forum.
I agree!
Charge 7 said:
Here's a thought for how to speed up that process. What if those who do not fill out their profile information have a time limit to do so? Give them one month say to provide the basic info that we all do who trully want to be a part of this community. If after that they have not done so, they get a reminder from a mod to do so and a temp ban for one week. If after that week they have not done so they are banned for good. I think that's fair to them and fair to the rest of us as well..
I think that one month is too long it should be one week, otherwise they have a whole month to flame, spam, and create havoc, plus it puts too much burden on the mods.

Charge 7 said:

I think this should be an optional thing. But it is nice if people can tell us where they are from and whats their background. It helps identify their stance mostly in political discussions.

runaway.gif

Phoenix......I always feel that should stand up for what you say, and not hide behind a cloak of anonymity

I say: give them one week to introduce themselves in a proper way. It should be possible to make a certain numbers of questions for them to answer in their introduction (i.e. career, interests, where they live).
If someone doesn't do that within a week, banned.

It should be that they can only get into the forum by completing the form, now we know they can give false answers bit it is a start.

LeEnfield said:
Phoenix......I always feel that should stand up for what you say, and not hide behind a cloak of anonymity

I almost agree but how would you want to force people to id themselves in an internet forum?

I just took WARmachine88's suggestin and started a thread for him to post about himself. I think that if anyone wants info on anyone else they should start a thread asking for that info. Someone sent me a PM. I will gladly post in a thread if someone wishes to ask questions.

Marinerhodes said:
I just took WARmachine88's suggestin and started a thread for him to post about himself. I think that if anyone wants info on anyone else they should start a thread asking for that info. Someone sent me a PM. I will gladly post in a thread if someone wishes to ask questions.

lol, where is my personal thread, i feel honored.

The following is just one example of why there needs to be some change or improvement in the system as Charge 7 has suggested.

Doody said:
WARmachine's ban has been upgraded to permanent because he is the banned user CSmaster.

There is no way forcing people to provide more personal information will stop flammers and people like WARmachine88 (CSmaster). It takes only seconds to lie about someone's background. Now we can tell if someone is lying about being in the military since we have members with extensive military backgrounds.

I feel we are going to have to accept that there will always be flammers online just as there will always be crime in the real world. As long as we have members who report flammers immediately for the mods to deal with, we can keep damamge to a min.

Yes, they can always lie about what they put in their info, but it would at least be some idea of who they claim to be. Having no information at all makes dealing with such individuals just that much more difficult. Also I doubt that they'd lie so overwhelmingly all the time that you couldn't, at least in many cases, figure out what was up. If nothing else, it should be mandatory that you identify with a particular country. Seeing people with great big question marks where their country's flag icon should be just highlights the problem.

I've been member to many forums, and anonymity was always considered as some kind of right of the users. It's never really dawned on me to force a profile. I suppose it is a good idea, at least on this particular board.

Back