More info should be required for membership

--

August 6th, 2005  
Charge 7

Topic: More info should be required for membership

I for one am sick of seeing these people show up as members here who provide no information about themselves. I think we should know where they're from and some details about them before they can become members of this forum.
August 6th, 2005  
Irishone

Aye set up a wee thread saying 'who are you', and i shall happily fill in :P Do ppl not do that in the welcoming thread though? No idea
August 6th, 2005  
82ndMechanic

or make it mandatory that they have to fill out an intro thread like irishone said - and then refuse to participate, answer questions until done.

Or make it so they can't see the other sections until they post in that one...
--
August 6th, 2005  
RnderSafe

An introduction post is mandatory. PMs are sent to those with empty profiles to provide a bit more information about themselves - we try to get as much 'basic' information about new members as possible, esp those claiming military service.

Those that wish to hide and play games do get weeded out eventually.

I am not sure there is more we can do - members can help by using the report feature or PMing a moderator if you question another member.
September 11th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
Those that wish to hide and play games do get weeded out eventually.
Here's a thought for how to speed up that process. What if those who do not fill out their profile information have a time limit to do so? Give them one month say to provide the basic info that we all do who trully want to be a part of this community. If after that they have not done so, they get a reminder from a mod to do so and a temp ban for one week. If after that week they have not done so they are banned for good. I think that's fair to them and fair to the rest of us as well.
September 11th, 2005  
tomtom22

Topic: Re: More info should be required for membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge 7
I for one am sick of seeing these people show up as members here who provide no information about themselves. I think we should know where they're from and some details about them before they can become members of this forum.
I agree!
Quote:
Here's a thought for how to speed up that process. What if those who do not fill out their profile information have a time limit to do so? Give them one month say to provide the basic info that we all do who trully want to be a part of this community. If after that they have not done so, they get a reminder from a mod to do so and a temp ban for one week. If after that week they have not done so they are banned for good. I think that's fair to them and fair to the rest of us as well..
I think that one month is too long it should be one week, otherwise they have a whole month to flame, spam, and create havoc, plus it puts too much burden on the mods.
September 11th, 2005  
phoenix80

Topic: Re: More info should be required for membership

Quote:
I think this should be an optional thing. But it is nice if people can tell us where they are from and whats their background. It helps identify their stance mostly in political discussions.
September 11th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

September 11th, 2005  
LeEnfield

Phoenix......I always feel that should stand up for what you say, and not hide behind a cloak of anonymity
September 11th, 2005  
Italian Guy

I say: give them one week to introduce themselves in a proper way. It should be possible to make a certain numbers of questions for them to answer in their introduction (i.e. career, interests, where they live).
If someone doesn't do that within a week, banned.