More Americans abroad giving up citizenship for lower taxes

I don't agree with the overt display of patriotism the way I think it's intended. I don't see anything wrong with Americans being proud. What are Americans suppose to do, hide in the closet and pretend we don't exist? I don't think so, I'm not going to. I'd rather have boneheads trying to kill me for it, as long as I'm authorized to kill them for trying.

I don't agree with the overt display of patriotism the way I think it's intended. I don't see anything wrong with Americans being proud.
there's pride and there's "pride", unfortunately the overt display of pride takes it from the acceptable type of pride, as a craftsman's pride in a job well done, to the type of pride as mentioned in the seven deadly sins.

Lust
Sloth
Pride
Greed
Envy
Wrath
Gluttony.

What are Americans suppose to do, hide in the closet and pretend we don't exist? I don't think so, I'm not going to. I'd rather have boneheads trying to kill me for it, as long as I'm authorized to kill them for trying.
Do you honestly think that if you were to stop throwing these jingoistic beliefs into everyone's face that the world would forget that the US exists. Naahh,... I don't think so. That sounds like the reaction of a nation who has a deep seated insecurity problem to me. The more you do it the more persons become aware of that insecurity.

People who are good at what they do, do not have to keep telling everyone about it.

It's a bit like the little bloke who walks into a rough Biker bar and immediately starts saying things like, "Y'wanna be careful around me, I won the seventh annual Origami championship, I could break your neck as easy as... whatever".

Theodore Roosevelt said, "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." You can be great without going out of your way to brag about it.

Seno:

I've never seen any Americans acting like the examples you gave. That's not what I meant and I assume you know/knew that. Obviously, their are times when it is best kept to a minimum, such as when your in a foreign country to try to blend in and you don't want to advertise that your American necessarily. From what I have seen, the American patriotism has not been inappropriate and in your face. Many seem to think though that any type of being proud of America is inappropriate, and whats appropriate to be said to them is not authorized for posting here.

TOG:
True enough TOG, I am not and do not care for bragging either. I do not consider a proud American saying he's proud to be an American as bragging. This is the type of nonsense accusations folks like to make in an attempt to censor though.

Last edited:
Seno:

I've never seen any Americans acting like the examples you gave. That's not what I meant and I assume you know/knew that. Obviously, their are times when it is best kept to a minimum, such as when your in a foreign country to try to blend in and you don't want to advertise that your American necessarily. From what I have seen, the American patriotism has not been inappropriate and in your face .
Now,.. I'm not being facetious here, but it is my personal belief that you perceive it this way because you do not see it from the point of view of persons who belong to another nationality or culture. This in itself is part of the problem.

Of course, I'm generalising here,... there are many individuals who do not fit the stereotype, unfortunately one bad impression can undo the good work of a thousand.

All of the above notwithstanding, it is my personal impression that Americans display their "patriotism" in a manner that is markedly different to anyone else in the world.

I think you may be correct in saying the first part, about not being too considerate about non Americans perceptions of things. If this is wrong, since I am an American, I apologize for that. However, I still believe that if it were not for America, the world would be in much worse shape than it is now, currently. Perhaps, some of the non-Americans ought to perceive things from the Americans point of view at the same time? After all, Americans don't owe it to whoever to look at things from your/their point of view. They do so if they choose to. Yes, it is wise for getting along reasons, but to pretend it's something owed is a no-no.

Last edited:
All of the above notwithstanding, it is my personal impression that Americans display their "patriotism" in a manner that is markedly different to anyone else in the world.

I agree with all points except perhaps this part.
I think being overly patriotic is pretty similar here and there. You should see how the guys here react when I tell them that Kimchi is actually not really good for them. Or that the mad cow thing is all bulls*it. Woo... traitor? Sellout? And his ass works for an American company while... you know my story.

there's pride and there's "pride", unfortunately the overt display of pride takes it from the acceptable type of pride, as a craftsman's pride in a job well done, to the type of pride as mentioned in the seven deadly sins.

Lust
Sloth
Pride
Greed
Envy
Wrath
Gluttony.

Do you honestly think that if you were to stop throwing these jingoistic beliefs into everyone's face that the world would forget that the US exists. Naahh,... I don't think so. That sounds like the reaction of a nation who has a deep seated insecurity problem to me. The more you do it the more persons become aware of that insecurity.

People who are good at what they do, do not have to keep telling everyone about it.

It's a bit like the little bloke who walks into a rough Biker bar and immediately starts saying things like, "Y'wanna be careful around me, I won the seventh annual Origami championship, I could break your neck as easy as... whatever".

Ya want to know what I think of the 7 deadly sins?
Here's a hint, don't repeat it in church or there aint enough Hail Mary's to save your soul.
I don't flaunt the fact I'm American, but I'll be damned if I hide it. Most Americans don't flaunt it, what you see on TV is either the govt or whats called a "tv show" Don't let a "tv show" make up your mind about the general population of America, we may not flaunt it, but we'll defend it with out lives.

I think you may be correct in saying the first part, about not being too considerate about non Americans perceptions of things. If this is wrong, since I am an American, I apologize for that. However, I still believe that if it were not for America, the world would be in much worse shape than it is now, currently. Perhaps, some of the non-Americans ought to perceive things from the Americans point of view at the same time? After all, Americans don't owe it to whoever to look at things from your/their point of view. They do so if they choose to. Yes, it is wise for getting along reasons, but to pretend it's something owed is a no-no.
Aiki, there is no denying that as a world power, America is the only realistic hope the free world has, and many countries owe America a huge debt of gratitude for this and their actions in the past.

It does seem unfortunate however that it appears to the rest of the world that America has the attitude that "Everything is bigger and better in America". To me personally everything is just a bit too "over the top" and this applies to everything from nationalism to eating habits and general expectations about life. It often seems like America has great difficulty in seeing where Hollywood ends and the real world begins. I have also had this perception expressed to me by persons from other countries and cultures.

I don't mean this to be critical in a nasty sense, I have great admiration for the USA and the difficult position they are in as a world power, but just as an answer to those questions put to me. I'm sure that if you asked people from other countries what there perceptions were and they answered honestly, they would say something very similar.

The really odd thing to me is, that most Americans do not seem to be aware of it, and then this is often wrongly interpreted as "American arrogance".

Don't let a "tv show" make up your mind about the general population of America, we may not flaunt it, but we'll defend it with out lives.
Wolfen, I have lived in America, worked, fought and played with Americans. I think I have a reasonably good understanding of the American psyche, and way of life.

Last edited:
That's pretty good there if I may so Seno, Thanks for sayin that the way you did, very diplomatic. You ought to be a politician. Hahahaha. Standing by for chit storm due to politics comment.

I agree with all points except perhaps this part.
I think being overly patriotic is pretty similar here and there. You should see how the guys here react when I tell them that Kimchi is actually not really good for them. Or that the mad cow thing is all bulls*it. Woo... traitor? Sellout? And his ass works for an American company while... you know my story.
Is it common for Korean citizens to fly their National flag in their yard or on their house?

I ask this because I have never seen it anywhere to the degree that one sees it in the US. Once whilst travelling from Philadelphia to Dover, DE in a cab, to amuse ourseves we actually started a game to see who could count the most flags flying in private yards and businesses. The number long has since escaped my memory, but we found it to be far in excess of what you would see in Australia (maybe one or two over a similar distance)

That's pretty good there if I may so Seno, Thanks for sayin that the way you did, very diplomatic. You ought to be a politician. Hahahaha. Standing by for chit storm due to politics comment.
It may have been diplomatic, but it was also the truth. I feel that if one is going to be truthful and make critical comment he should also be willing to tell the truth about the other side of the coin.

I'm pleased to see that you are "big enough between the tits" to accept criticism in the spirit in which it is given, and not get all bitter and twisted, as some are wont to do. I am certainly not "knocking" America, but I do feel that unless we are honest with one another there is no point. True friendships are based on honesty.

Love flying the colors. Home and vehicle. Debated tattooing to my forehead, Chief wouldn't authorize.
Do you fly the Flag strictly in accordance with the accepted protocols?

This is another bugbear of mine, people who fly the Flag unlit after sunset and continue to fly it once it has become little more than a tattered rag etc. If anyone is going to fly the Flag, the least they can do is to find out how to fly it with respect.

Agreed, indeed, can be displayed at night if proper lighting is on it. In the dark, BIG no no. Yes, I followed/follow the color display etiquette. I'd be a chitbag not to IMHO.

Flag flying is a part of American culture.
But otherwise I don't think their patriotism is THAT different from anyone else's.

I agree with George Carlin on the whole "Proud to be American" thing. It makes no sense to say that unless you're an immigrant whose journey here was an epic undertaking or you're a member of the forces. Otherwise you didn't work to become an American, you just happened to be born here, so I think a better phrase would be "Proud of America," or "Happy to be an American."

I never was a big flag person, I figure people already know I like it here since I'm living here and enjoying every moment. I do like to celebrate Independence Day by putting a couple clips of red, white and blue tracers through the SKS in rapid succession.

Last edited:
Back