More Americans abroad giving up citizenship for lower taxes

216.jpg

Reminds me too much of that. ^^^

I too think we have become very insular and frankly arrogant and lazy in respect to our world outlook.
I didn't really want to say that, but I guess that having been said by a US citizen, I find I must agree.

And all the time we hear Americans saying, "Why does the world hate us? I guess it must be envy"

The world (with the obvious exceptions) does not "hate" America, but to a large degree they are sick of what is perceived as American arrogance, and militarily, the attitude that, "Might is Right".

This is frustrating for them. Even more frustrating, I don't think military personnel should have to pay taxes. They are paying more than tax payers pay annually. They give their lives so that folks are free enough to even be taxed. Military personnel paying taxes is double taxation (at least) the way I see it.

Military stationed aboard don't pay double taxes. They pay federal and SSI taxes. Check yer LES fer god's sake. You don't pay the country of station tax.

TOG if you hate the phrase God Bless America. I'd be more than Happy to show the door high speed ......probably followed by an 8 regular Jungle Boot in yer 4th POC.

Not what I meant boss, hahahahaha.
I mean they are already paying while in service with their lives, shouldn't be taxed on the money they earn doing it, IMHO.

We all gotta pay our way Jarhead. Personelly I believe that Armed Forces, Emergency Services, Law Enforcement and Fire oughta get a pass on State and Local Taxes. Not federal......cause if we did that who pay for Obamas campaign trips over seas.

That's right, I too should have mentioned the para military organizations that serve in country. Your proposal is better than the way it is currently. I'd like to see it that way for all taxes (for those units) but I guess that would be too easy on them. Certain members of government seem to prefer them be as miserable as possible as the SOP.

Last edited:
IMO Anyone that run's toward a situation that everyone else is running away from should get cut a break.

Of course that would take the fun out of .

'' I'm a tax payer. I pay your salary!"

" Really? I pay taxes too.......I figure I'm self employed. Press hard five copies."

Hahahahaha. I couldn't get away with saying that, would be tap dancing in front of the Chief. I've heard similar things but not that one, you oughtta make t-shirts for police week in May.

Naw. If I make T-Shirts it would be.

"Officer I thought Cops didn't give tickets to pretty women."

" Your right Ma'm we don't..........................................Press hard five copies."

Regardless of what issues you have, God Bless America is entirely appropriate. If you don't believe in God, well the guys who started the whole America thing did. Don't like it? You can start a new country with no Biblical references.
America has a LOT of problems but I still believe they are the good guys and a country that you can trust above other countries to be a reliable ally. As for attitude, the individual attitude in the US pisses me off but as for national "attitude," I think most countries have that.
As for a standard of living gap, there's actually not a whole lot anymore and it's become more like "it depends on what you want."
Countries tend to go through some hard times. I hope this is just a little stage that America has to get over. But I do have a bad feeling unfortunately :(

If I may...

I am a naturalized US citizen and I have many relatives and friends who has fled the former USSR.
I can see from that wide (and completely un-scientific!) statistics that those who immigrated to the States have gained the most.

On the other hand, I know more than a few West Europeans (including my boss) who emigrated from countries like UK, Luxemburg, etc. and don't want to go back.

I think there is no country that is good for everybody, as well as there is no country that is bad for everybody. The most important is a number of those who loves it to those who hates it.
In the US life is more open to change and to achievement, but more demanding.
In Europe it is less demanding, but it is more difficult to advance.
IMHO, of course.

This spring, I have met some French guy(we were diving together).
He works for some transportation company and was ready to become a father very soon. I told him that the maternity benefits in France are really great in comparison to the US (my cousin is a single mother there, so I know).
He has told me a story in return:
They have started an office in Spain and hired a few young Spanish women to work there. Within a year all of them have become pregnant and left for their maternity leaves...
After they will come back they will work only have-days for 5(five) years and get full day salary for their work.
Their French bosses were really upset and went to the lawyers, but they been told - no chance to argue that law in Spanish courts.
And soon a new law has been adopted - it is 7 years now!

Could you guess whether they ever hire another woman in Spain?
It is great for the families, but how can the European economy be competitive under cuch a strain?

Last edited:
This is frustrating for them. Even more frustrating, I don't think military personnel should have to pay taxes. They are paying more than tax payers pay annually. They give their lives so that folks are free enough to even be taxed. Military personnel paying taxes is double taxation (at least) the way I see it.

Many military personnel do not - pay earned in a combat zone, for example, is in most regards untaxable. Even general active duty basic pay is untaxed in many states - I know my cruise pay was tax-exempt under Ohio law.

I didn't really want to say that, but I guess that having been said by a US citizen, I find I must agree.

And all the time we hear Americans saying, "Why does the world hate us? I guess it must be envy"

The world (with the obvious exceptions) does not "hate" America, but to a large degree they are sick of what is perceived as American arrogance, and militarily, the attitude that, "Might is Right".

How come, as a non-American, you seem to get it and yet so many people back at home don't? As for people "hating" America I think that depends where you are, I recently turned down a temp job in Dubai out of fears for my personal safety. We aren't held in peoples heart that's for sure.

USMC03

"TOG if you hate the phrase God Bless America. I'd be more than Happy to show the door high speed ......probably followed by an 8 regular Jungle Boot in yer 4th POC".

Why? Because he's sick of over-used catch phrases, lapel pins and other frivolous things that's supposed to represent a persons patriotism? If such things were really an actual display of patriotism then we would be reduced to a bunch of mindless automotons taking instructions from Big Brother, just like the Germans did in the 1930's. If things ever get that bad, you wouldnt have to throw people out, the smart ones would have already left (as what happened in Germany).

I think the point OTG made was not a lack of disrespect to the country as a whole, but disgust on our countries focus of such trivial matters which are so obviously a smokescreen to disguise political moves done behind the scene.

Last edited:
It's better than people stop having kids.
Then why the birthrate in Spain for a decade is around 1.3, while in the States it is much higher even WITHOUT counting the Blacks and Hispanics?
For white women it was 1.9 in 2006..
And without huge maternity benefits.

How come, as a non-American, you seem to get it and yet so many people back at home don't? As for people "hating" America I think that depends where you are, I recently turned down a temp job in Dubai out of fears for my personal safety. We aren't held in peoples heart that's for sure.
Things like this become very apparent when we non-US citizens walk into an establishment in a foreign country and can feel the discomfort,... until the locals realise that we are not American, and then the whole attitude towards us changes.

USMC03

"TOG if you hate the phrase God Bless America. I'd be more than Happy to show the door high speed ......probably followed by an 8 regular Jungle Boot in yer 4th POC".

Why? Because he's sick of over-used catch phrases, lapel pins and other frivolous things that's supposed to represent a persons patriotism? If such things were really an actual display of patriotism then we would be reduced to a bunch of mindless automotons taking instructions from Big Brother, just like the Germans did in the 1930's. If things ever get that bad, you wouldnt have to throw people out, the smart ones would have already left (as what happened in Germany).
My personal impression that Americans are no more patriotic than anyone else, it is just that they have raised the "overt display of patriotism" to jingoistic levels. Here in Australia you can travel a long, long way and never see a National flag or symbol displayed except at Government offices and establishments. This is not an indication that we love our country any less, but more that we see the US style of patriotism as somewhat "wet" (as in wet behind the ears).

It is my own personal point of view that here in Aussie, it is a given that everyone loves their country, and you don't have to wear your heart on your sleeve to prove it. If you were to say "God bless Australia" to the average Aussie it would embarrass the crap out of him.

Back