moral waiver - past drug use

noman

When enlisting in the Marine Corps, is it possible to get a waiver for 1-2 uses of a narcotic? Also, how about a substance which is not specifically known? Or a substance which is not illegal?

When enlisting in the Marine Corps, is it possible to get a waiver for 1-2 uses of a narcotic? Also, how about a substance which is not specifically known? Or a substance which is not illegal?

You tried some drugs a few times, correct? Did you get arrested? Were you charged? Convicted? And last but not least, what MOS are you looking into?

No biggie then. I'm assuming you need at least a Secret clearance. That's a non-issue. If you ever need a Top Secret, just be honest about your usage, they don't expect you to have been a choir boy, they're just looking for pattern and long time usage. Experimental isn't a big deal at all on the SF-86 (security questionnaire)

Any drug use is a big deal. I told the recruiter about the drug use, and then he starts telling me I'll have to get a top score on the PFT just to get in at all. He said this qualifies as a district level waiver, which will disqualify me from a lot more jobs than the waiver I'd have to get for age or other lesser issues. There's an Army recruiter right next door, so I asked the Marine recruiter "Well what does the Army think about it?" He walked to the other office and back and told me it would be a disqualification for Army enlistment. He said anything with the name of that substance is a no go for them.

So, yeah, it is a very big deal. Any previous use of a narcotic, as little as one use, even if it was many years ago, can prevent enlistment.

Okay, it's a very big deal then. Sucks for you!

Shame you didn't actually see what I told you. :wink:

Back