moral/political discussion

Grimlin

i was wondering what the take here was on the legal status of suicide.
as most of you know, suicide is against the law in the US, this has always puzzeled me, if someone wants to make the choice, regardless of how it affects others, it is that persons choice, is it not?
all views welcome, just let me know your thoughts on this subject

*i am not in any way suicidal, i just think it would make for an interesting discussion

I really wouldn't consider it murder, because you are taking your own life, I see murder as endangering others, not yourself.

yes, but you have to take in the consideration of what we imply murder to mean, when you think of murder do you think of someone going around cutting their wrists? Or do you think of it as Cho gunning everyone down in Virgina Tech?

a murderer, and someone who has, or tried to commit suicide have completely different mind sets. You can't just lump them together

See- there you go, you're lumping. Yes they both tried to take a life, but their minds, their intentions, are different.

thought i might throw this in there
take it how you want to
this is according to modern law

murder-
the killing of a human being by a sane person, with intent, malice aforethought (prior intention to kill the particular victim or anyone who gets in the way) and with no legal excuse or authority. In those clear circumstances, this is first degree murder.

well it all depends on perspective, what is truly sane?
i mean, if you think about it, is anyone sane?

ok so suicidal people can be sane...but what about emotionally disturbed, or what about peer pressure, does that play a factor in this?

Back