moral/political discussion - Page 10

--
moral/political discussion

May 4th, 2007  
Padre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlin
i was wondering what the take here was on the legal status of suicide.
as most of you know, suicide is against the law in the US, this has always puzzeled me, if someone wants to make the choice, regardless of how it affects others, it is that persons choice, is it not?
all views welcome, just let me know your thoughts on this subject
The starting point might include: "what makes an action moral?"

One's answer to that question will determine how you answer Grimlin's suicide question.

Grimlin's way of wording the issue encourages a negative response because if it is OK do do something simply because you choose to - "regardless of how it affects others" then in order to be consistent you would have to endorse and approve cheating, adultery, lying, stealing, etc, by those who choose to do such things.

Are some things in life wrong to do - things that even an Evangelical Christian and atheist both would agree are wrong? What is, in natural law, universally accepted as wrong if people choose to do it regardless of what other people feel about it or how others might be affected by it.

Murder, suicide and so called "euthanasia" (murder or suicide) are wrong because murder and suicide can never be the solution to human problems or conflicts. Self defence, resulting in the death of an attacker, has the saving of life as its objective. Self defence is therefore moral even if it takes the life of the would-be assassin (this can be extended to soldiers in fighting a war so long as the war is a "just war"). Suicide, if approved, sends the message to society it is OK as a recourse to one's problems or life's worth, and therefore denies the opportunity of assisting the person TO LIVE instead of assisting the person TO DIE. Laws against murder, suicide represent better values than laws permitting murder and suicide.

I helped someone to live is more commendable than if I helped someone to die.

I approved of someone's life and living is more commendable than if I approved of someone's death and dying.

Helping depressed, despairing, suffering persons who believe suicide is the answer to see the value of their life and their living, is a virtue. The opposite is a cop out and a healthy society is justified in outlawing it and thus educating its members, especially the young and impressionable, that it is not OK.
May 6th, 2007  
LCPLSMITH

So as I sat here pondering whether or not jumping on a grenade is considered suicide, it finally hit me. It is absolutely not suicide, nor is taking a bullet for the president. The one who takes the bullet or dives on the grenade is not the one who fired the bullet or through the grenade. Its not a suicidal act, but a heroic one. So, I do not consider that to be suicide.
May 6th, 2007  
Grimlin

but you are making a move that you know could be fatal
--
May 7th, 2007  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlin
but you are making a move that you know could be fatal
Are you making this statement just to prolong the argument?

Fatal yes, but with the express intent to save a life one values more than one's own. This does not include the express intent to die to get away from life's troubles. Chances are that is the last thing going through a persons mind at a time like that.
May 8th, 2007  
Ted

Wow....

But if suicide is illegal, what is the penalty for doing it? It would make one hell of a trial, with the accused slouched in a chair. Then again rigormortis will make him sit up

What a strange topic this has become.....
May 9th, 2007  
LCPLSMITH

haha rigormortis goes away sometime betwen 24 and 72 hours of death. Just thought I'd throw that out there..
May 9th, 2007  
Ted

So after two days of class the suicided (what do you call someone who succesfully killed himself?)/ suspect will start to slouch again?

But I am still interested in how the suspect will undergo his punishment... I mean you can lock him up, but I reckon he's got all the time in the world and no particular place to go....