Money or the Army

ari

At the moment im going through the process of applying to the Australian Defence Force Academy to become a Seaman Officer, however, I'm really interested in the army because it's a lot more physical and adventurous than sitting in a cabin in the sea for months. I even had an interview with a Navy Lieutenant and he told me, in his own words, that "the first 7 years or so as a Seaman Officer is hard and ****", but he also mentioned the benefits afterwards are great, Higher Pay, More travel, More Command Resposibility etc. So would I be making a wrong decision joining the Navy for the significantly higher pay compared to the army. I guess i'm looking more towards the future of how i'm going to support myself once i'm out. But I'd love to be apart of the army more than the navy.

any comments, advice or opinions are welcome.

cheers,
Ari

Last edited:
Well it's about what you want really.
No one can make this decision but you.
If money is the main motivator, unless stacking up a lot of money is your goal in life, it's generally not a good decision. Enjoy the job, save money and your money will accumulate.

I know no one can make this decision for me, but it really helps to hear personal experiences. I've spoken to a few ADF personnel but you can't tell how much is genuine and how much is a sales pitch ;)

It isn't really about the money, I really do want to support my country as have a few of my family members done before me. Like someone else said in another thread, The Navy seems great, but I really want to serve my country "the traditional way of the foot soldier." - USAFAUX2004

how old are you?
i think that the Army can help you alot in your later life,after u done with it,because it teaches you alot of good things and traits u could use,Survivla for instence,it can do you alot better then as u said sitting in a cabin for 7 years,the money is not the only thing that the military can give u,it can give u much more,physical and mental streangths are by far more helpful thena +500$ salary.
think about the benefits in your life after service

Actually depending on what work he does, the jobs in the Navy can get him jobs in the civilian world just as well.

Follow whichever feeling is stronger..

I was having trouble deciding USAirForce or USMarine Corps

well Marines is my dream so of course im going there

follow ur dream..or follow whichever one u want the most

@EladBell, Im 19.

The reason that this is such a hard decision is the fact that even if I chose Infantry Corps i could get put into transport or catering and be stuck there for the rest of my military career. as mentioned in this THREAD

Thinking into the future again, what line of work can Officers (navy and army) get in the civilian workplace. If there are people on here who have served and are now civilians, I would really appreciate your comments. I was told a lot of army guys become Foreman or Construction Managers, Before considering the ADF I was initially going to study Architecture, required an OP 8 I got a 9 *sigh*.

Last edited:
Makes a lot more sense now.
But stuff like Pararescue is very limited. If that's the sort of thing you'd want to do, I'd rather pick the Army or the Marines.

Yeah but you know..i would rather, very much, be able to do all the anti-terrorism...idk y.,..its just always been an interest of mine...

Im going to im just thinking about all the MOS' the Marines offer...mostly Anti-Terrorism or Special Reaction Forces..

idk why but im interested in those type of things

Last edited:
Yeah but you know..i would rather, very much, be able to do all the anti-terrorism...idk y.,..its just always been an interest of mine...

Im going to im just thinking about all the MOS' the Marines offer...mostly Anti-Terrorism or Special Reaction Forces..

anti terrorism hard stuff

Okay lets back up and consider what FAST really is. Fleet Anti Terrorist Security Team.........

You apparently have the idea that you'll be hunting tango's and doing take downs and door kicks. Sorry the US Military has Special Operations Forces that do that and FAST is not one of them or even a tier asset for that.

FAST is deployed at the descreation of the Chief of Naval Operations to provide security for the fleet. They deploy with the fleet and defend the fleet from attack. They have training a bit above the average grunt, but only training that is mission specific. You could do a tour with FAST and never get your CQB designator.

RTT's are deployed in locations around the world that are designated by the CNO as requiring extra security, they train they stand post.

So if your thinkin your going to be Jack Bauer on steriods by getting assigned to FAST rethink it.

Back