The moment math collapses...

Lunatik

Think of 3 people. They combine their money to go buy a CD Player from an electronics store.

The cost of the CD Player is $30. So, they each pay $10, buy the CD Player and leave the store.

The store owner then remembers that the CD Players are on sale and the actual price is only $25.

Being an honest salesman, he sends his young assistant after the customers who just left the store to return the $5 difference.

But the assistant thinks he cannot divide $5 equally among 3 customers. So he decides to keep $2 for himself and returns $1 to each custemer.

Meaning they have bought the CD Player for only $9 each.

Now, let's think about what happened...

$9 x 3 persons = $27

Okay.

And the young assistant has pocketed $2.

Okay.

That is $27 + $2 = $29!

But, but, what happened to the missing $1?

:D

Last edited:
Sales Tax???? LOL...I freakin hate math...."Math and I divorced sometime ago"...LOL!!!!....:mrgreen:

Don´t know where is the f***g dollar, I don´t mind, I only know the assistant is going to spend over 2000$ in dentist. :box:

There is no missing dollar.

25 (for the CD player) + 3 (1 to each man) + the 2 he pocketed equals 30 dollars.

you mixed up (in your verbal laxness substituing "and" with "+") Plus and Minus here.

Your recount should read

-snip- The cost of the CD Player is $30. So, they each pay $10... -snip-

The store owner then remembers that the ... actual price is only $25.

... he sends his young assistant ... to return the $5 difference.

... assistant ... decides to keep $2 for himself and returns $1 to each customer ... they have bought the CD Player paying only $9 each.

Now, let's think about what happened...

$9 x 3 persons = $27

...assistant has pocketed $2 (this makes it a MINUS as he takes them out of the loop, R.)

-snip-

That is $27 MINUS $2 = $25!

:D

Rattler

Yes, it's a minus, not a plus.
If in doubt, just draw it as a picture and you'll see that if you treat every dollar as a coin, you won't have one missing.

LOL. Okay, you guys are onto me. :D

For Pixielovedust:

There are three entities sweetie; the salesman, the assistant and the shoppers.

The initial payment of $30 is accounted for as the salesman takes $25, the assistant takes $2, and the shoppers get a $3 refund. It adds up. After the refund has been applied, we only have to account for a payment of $27. Again, the salesman keeps $25 and the assistant gets $2. This also adds up. If I say, "Okay, but it's still true that the assistant's $2 plus the shoppers' $27 equals $29. How does that add up?" The answer is that the assistant's $2 was part of the $27 payment, leaving the $25 kept by the salesman. There is no reason to add the $2 and $27, and no reason to expect any particular result.

The numbers work fine, it's the wording you need to watch for. :)

Good job Rattler & 13th.

Last edited:
Back