Modernized Yamato Class.

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
So I know from the title this seems more of the realm of historical fiction...

Because it is, but does anyone here feel that if the Yamato or Musashi was somehow spared from destruction during the war. And left to rot in Kure until the 1980's. At which by this point the United States Government allowed the Japanese to re instate the vessel to combat growing Chinese aggressive conduct in the modern day standoff that is taking place in the seas surrounding Eastern Asia.

Maybe an AEGIS equipped, Cruise Missile Armed Variant like the Iowa's?

What do you folks think such a conversion would cost, let alone what kind of kit such a vessel would carry?

I want opinions.
images

-Yo

Last edited:
I suspect the Japanese would have turned it into about 75 million Toyotas by now.

I am not sure what role it would play in a potential China/Japan stand off as I do not see any role these days for a big gun ship as it is unlikely there will be any shore bombardment involved so short of stripping it down to make a floating anti-aircraft platform I would suggest scrapping it.

I suspect the Japanese would have turned it into about 75 million Toyotas by now.

I am not sure what role it would play in a potential China/Japan stand off as I do not see any role these days for a big gun ship as it is unlikely there will be any shore bombardment involved so short of stripping it down to make a floating anti-aircraft platform I would suggest scrapping it.

The Iowa's in the 1980's and 90's did not hold much practicality either, however Mr. Reagen wanted to send a message. Same instance here the later Cold War Climate, as well as the uncertain climate involving territorial disputes and incidents at sea in the Seas Surrounding Japan in more recent times.

Not proposing in this alternate history all out war, just the Yamato making it's way through known history in the past 4 decades.

No in no case modernized or not would the vessel be very useful. Armed maybe as as scanning and AA Umbrella to any battle group. Or an information center for said group.

Battleships could be useful in modern naval warfare if they could be outfited with railguns. launching dumb rounds at a target 200 miles away can be even more damaging in a psychological and phyiscal sense.

The days of crossing the T are done and gone and ship on ship warfare is fought with long and medium range missiles. But fire support is where a battleship could truly shine. nothing beats a barriage from those big guns. I know about pin point accuracy of modern missiles but the fact that these big 3,000 lb artillery rounds ain't as accurate make them more dangerous rather than less. Think about it the reason most people are scared in the ghetto/barrio is because you got so many god awful shooters blasting away at one another is because of all those stray bullets flying around they are bound to hit someone! Are they gonna hit the tanks? are they gonna hit the MG nest? are they gonna hit the guy on patrol 3 klicks away? Who knows...

Another factor is our troops about to hit the beach soldiers and Marines would probably love to hear big booms made by those huge batteries that really lets them know "we got your back". They get to see the big explosions inland it lets them know that they have a protective shield streching miles inland.

Modern smart technology already has made its way into the modern artillery scene.

Seeing this same technology make it's way into naval gunnery would only be a short step.

Imagine guided 18.1 inch shells...

Modern smart technology already has made its way into the modern artillery scene.

Seeing this same technology make it's way into naval gunnery would only be a short step.

Imagine guided 18.1 inch shells...

Or just use UAVs and GPS systems to direct fire.

Or just use UAVs and GPS systems to direct fire.

Satelite guided gunnery would have given this class the one thing it lacked in 1942. A Precise Fire Control system. This would have allowed this vessel to use it's massive fire power to a much fuller extend. Imagine this vessel providing fire support in the straight of Taiwan, or against a desperate North Korean escapade south. Sure the air power alone could do the job but heavy gunnery for units operating near the shore would be valuable as well. Even if it was just used as a large anti air umbrella for capital ships or shore installations such as landing areas or harbors. Or even a cruise missile launching platform with enough on board missiles to free up under way replenishing ships for other task such as accompanying carrier groups.

No matter what task given upon it, the modernized Yamato would still be big, expensive, and thirsty on fuel. Unless converted to diesel, which the performance changes would be unknown. Especially on endurance at sea and operating range.

Although alone a single Sunburn missile perhaps would not prove much a threat, but considering the number of such weapons pointed across the South China Sea Alone... Not even to mention modern day submarine threats.

The US, and probably everyone else, can't make barrels of Battleship caliber so it wouldn't be practicel, but if it was an updated ship like HMS Terror would be good for shore bombardment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Terror_(I03)

So9mething with battleship armor would stand up better to missles than other ships, probably including the Nimitz class carriers.

Apart from bombarding land targets, what use are big guns at sea anyway. Conflict at sea would now be missile driven as they have a far greater range and accuracy. So all you have is a very large target with a huge amount of man power on board. The battleship became obsolete in WW 2 so what has changed to bring it back into service.

Apart from bombarding land targets, what use are big guns at sea anyway. Conflict at sea would now be missile driven as they have a far greater range and accuracy. So all you have is a very large target with a huge amount of man power on board. The battleship became obsolete in WW 2 so what has changed to bring it back into service.
Only the armor vs a lack there of on many modern ships. With manufacturing limited to a max of 8" it's moot anyway.

Japan attack Australia with aircraft carrier, submarines plus fot soldiers?

Booth are in top-40 next year in Global Power ranking system 2015.

What´s your rank and function in the Swedish Army?
(Vad är din grad och funktion i den svenska armén?)

Ej mönstrat. Even if they ask me but I have problem with knee. In Karlskrona. Ten year ago they ask me about Home Guard qualification. Seaman in submarines or Coast Artillery but I have evil knee. Pain.

Last edited:
Now I believe out with Navy in 2015 or 2020 in Sweden.

But i'm believe in 9000 fot soldiers troops the reserve are 26000 in Boden in northern.

Edit. The planes are 5 or 15 submarines in future.

Last edited:
5 x 3 divisions with swedish submarines in 15 in totally.

The rasist party in Sweden will force up swedish forces with dubble money size.

Over 5,5 billion euro to swedish defence say SD in 2025 it fixt.

Last edited:
Back