Modernized Tank T-72M1M - Page 2

--

December 6th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Well a lot of "bad guys" would still be using old ammunition as their primary ammo. So it's still very important.
In that case the underside of the turret is probably significantly armored to withstand hit from them.
December 6th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Like I said, Idoubt 3 desighn teams from 3 countrys are all wrong...
December 6th, 2004  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Like I said, Idoubt 3 desighn teams from 3 countrys are all wrong...
me too and not just from any countrys..
--
December 6th, 2004  
A Can of Man

So either way you win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Well a lot of "bad guys" would still be using old ammunition as their primary ammo. So it's still very important.
In that case the underside of the turret is probably significantly armored to withstand hit from them.
December 6th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
The T-72M1M is supposed to have 95% of the capability of the T-90. Since the T-90 is nothing more then an upgraded T-72 (T-72BU), it's probably true.

Modern APFSDS rounds do not deflect. In fact, they "bite" into the armor and turn to penetrate armor. This makes sloped armor not as useful as in past decades.
Maybe not in the sense of deflecting but it still have a purpuse.
December 6th, 2004  
jimmyboy

i don't want to critasize tank designers, but surely if anti-tank rounds are so effective why bother with all the extra weight?

you could make a faster more powerful tank with the extra weight and money saved.

as for the crew do what they do in some cars make something similar to a 'shell' around the crew.
December 7th, 2004  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy
i don't want to critasize tank designers, but surely if anti-tank rounds are so effective why bother with all the extra weight?

you could make a faster more powerful tank with the extra weight and money saved.

as for the crew do what they do in some cars make something similar to a 'shell' around the crew.
why not take all the armour away from the tank,l then it will be fast.

They still have that armour because

1.Not all countrys are using high-tech HEAT or DU rounds
2.Because of RPG's
December 7th, 2004  
beardo

and small arms fire...

if theres no armour any bullet can get through.
December 7th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Also, the armor may not save the tank in case that a modern AP round hits it, but it can definetly save the crew...
December 7th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy

The protection on a car is there to prevent to much damage in case of an impact. The tank protection is there to protect against rounds. I don't think you could use the car as a model for tank saftey.