modern shotguns

{¤nn¤r

I was just wondering what would be most effective. This includes cost, power, weight, etc.

Many people complain that a thread is not specific enough and so I made up a little scenario ;)

For those who need a specific situation to base their answers on:

A team must clear a building with 8 rooms and 10 hostiles in it. There is one hostile 50m away from the building which the team will engage after clearing the building. This hostile will be kneeling in a street, too confused and scared to move into cover.

(Neither group is highly trained)

What shotgun would be the most effective for the attacking team to use?

PS: I'm not a COD shotgun maniac and I base my questions on real life.

Comabt Shotguns for Close Quarters Battle

The scenario that you describe is well within the capabilities of modern combat shotguns. Even the 50 yard / 50 meter shot can be accomplished with present - day shotguns designed for this role and using proper ammunition. For example, The Federal Ammunition Company of the U.S. markets a police shotshell called the Flite-Control shell. This ammunition is capable of putting all nine pellets of a 00 buckshot load into the center of a silhouette targets at 50 meters.
The Wilson Combat Company manufactures specialty shotguns for military or police use and some of them have rifled or partially rifled barrels. I have fired one of their guns, a 12 gauge Remington 1100 with 14 inch rifled barrel shooting Brennecke slugs and was consistently hitting a 24 inch diameter steel gong at 200 yards from the standing position.
Essentially for the combat scenario that you propose, I would feel comfortable doing the entry and the 50 meters shot with a 12 gauge Remington 870 and Federal Flite-control 00 buckshot ammunition. The shotgun, of course, should be equipped with a tactical light for use inside the building. I hope I have answered your question.
However, there are other variables in the exercise you describe. Why go in in the first place? And if going in, is there an element of surprise? Without surprise this is a death ride. So these are the factors that a military or police tactical team will weigh in addition to the weapon considerations.

Last edited:
Modern shotguns

I need to add one additional factor. That is the factor of choke. Choke is the constriction in the barrel of the shotgun toward the muzzle that squeezes the shot column into a tubular shape. Most police or military shotguns have no choke, in other words the barrel is the same diameter throughout it's length. That is called cylinder bore, meaning : no choke. This is used on the so-called riot gun in order to achieve rapid spread of the shot pattern after it leaves the muzzle.
Sporting guns designed to shoot at longer ranges have more constriction in the barrel, the maximum is called Full or Extra-Full. This gives maximum pellet density at long range.
Many police shotguns now are available with a slight constriction in the barrel; called Improved Cylinder.
The performance of the Federal Flite-Control ammunition that I referred to in an earlier post is based on it's use in a cylinder bore police shotgun. In a gun with an Improved Cylinder choke it would be even better.
So the 50 meter shot is well within a modern shotgun's capabilities.

Back