Modern Fighter Cage Match: Final Round!

Which fighter would win in a dog fight? Round 5

• Eurofighter Typhoon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lockheed F-35 Joint Strike FIghter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trevor

This is Round 5 of 5. The winner of the last round is the Eurofighter Typhoon, beating out the Dassault Rafale 5-2. THE WINNDER OF THIS ROUND GOES TO CAGE MATCH HEAVEN!!!

Alright, here it is. This is the Modern Fighter Cage Match. There will be 5 rounds. I will put up a poll with 2 fighters and you guys vote for which ever one you think would win in a dog fight. I will leave it up for two days. The winner of that round will move on to the next round to go up against another fighter. The winnder of the last round will be forever in Cage Match Heaven. ASSUME BOTH PILOTS ARE EQUALLY SKILLED.

The "Super" Hornet is a POS. The F-14D is better in almost all categories, only field the "Super" Hornet is superior in is electronics, not suprising being over a decade younger than the D model Tomcat.

Fact is that the USN would have been far better off with an all F-14D fleet, but politics and other things (Like Cheney who cancelled the Tomcat, had a large stock portfolio in McDonald-Douglas, then the company that made the Hornet. Fair and unbiased desicion my arse) got in the way.

Yes you just did. :lol: Anyway, the only advantages the Super Tomcat has over the Super Hornet are speed and the Phoenix missile. For sacrificing .2 Mach speed and a big-ass missile that will probably be fitted to a Hornet soon anyway, you get a smaller, stealthier, more maneuverable aircraft that's got better electronics and isn't as hard on the arresting wires. I'll take that trade.

c/LtCdr said:
Yes you just did. :lol: Anyway, the only advantages the Super Tomcat has over the Super Hornet are speed and the Phoenix missile. For sacrificing .2 Mach speed and a big-ass missile that will probably be fitted to a Hornet soon anyway, you get a smaller, stealthier, more maneuverable aircraft that's got better electronics and isn't as hard on the arresting wires. I'll take that trade.

The Phoenix is being phased out with the Tomcat. The "Super" Bug will rely on the AIM-120 for now.

And for stealthier, it is when it is clean, but if you want anything that resemble payload you can kiss that stealthyness goodbye. It has also shorter range, accelerate slower and has a slower top speed than the Tomcat. Good luck responding to a popup threat with that...

One can just look at Afganistan or OIF for that matter, while the D model Tomcats required 1 refueling on a mission, the "Super" Bug often required 2-3. And with the reduced ammount of tanker assets it means more strain on USAF tanker assets, or using other F/A-18's for buddy-buddy refueling. Did i mention that the F-14's can provide their own targeting for LGB's, while the Hornets had to rely on, you guessed it, Tomcats, to provide target designation (This is being solved though, with new pods for the "Super" Hornet).

Lastly, if the "Super" Hornet is superior, why did not the USMC replace their older F/A-18C and D's with them?

the_13th_redneck said:
F-18s provide much better air strike capability than the F-14.

How?

Larger payload? Better loiter time? The F-14 beat the F/A-18 on both accounts.

The Hornet can carry more modern munitons, but the F-14D has been cleared on stuff like the AGM-88 HARM, JDAM, AIM-120 and so on, but since it is on the way out it was not deemed worth it to add it to the active fleet.

Had the Pentagon wanted they could have had a fighter-bomber easily the equal of the Strike Eagle in the USAF.

I was referring to the modern munition bit.
Anyways yeah in terms of range, speed and stuff like that the F-14 is better.

Back to the point, between the JSF and the Euro fighter Typhoon I'd say JSF. For starters, isn't JSF stealth? ;)

the_13th_redneck said:
Back to the point, between the JSF and the Euro fighter Typhoon I'd say JSF. For starters, isn't JSF stealth? ;)
same with the EFT a bit cause the shape is also slightly stealthy.
also how will the JSF beat a faster,larger range, more manouverable and more advanced plane?

It's not all about the shape, mostly about material. That's why the F-22 looks more like a regular jet than the F-117. They realized it wasn't neccessary to make a plane look like a 1980's flight sim model.
Not to mention the Typhoon's gigantic tail fin that is totally verticle is a huge reflector of radar beams. Also the other big enemy is the jet intake, which looks gigantic from the front on a Typhoon.
But how do you beat an airplane you cannot reliably get a target lock on?

the_13th_redneck said:
It's not all about the shape, mostly about material. That's why the F-22 looks more like a regular jet than the F-117. They realized it wasn't neccessary to make a plane look like a 1980's flight sim model.
Not to mention the Typhoon's gigantic tail fin that is totally verticle is a huge reflector of radar beams. Also the other big enemy is the jet intake, which looks gigantic from the front on a Typhoon.
But how do you beat an airplane you cannot reliably get a target lock on?
theycover it in RAM paint BTW.
yeah but the EFT can probably evade the missile with its manourvability.
you can beat it if you get closer. stealth just reduces doesnt make invisible.
besides the F35 is like a hog faceing a wolf.

The turning and outmanouvering missile is easier said than done, plus I think the JSF can do that as well. Plus it's better if you're just plain hard to lock on to.

Correct me if i'm wrong but even the f-16 is painted with radar asorbing paint, it's not stealth just not shouting out here i am, and the eurofighter is painted with the same stuff. i know the US JSF's are stealth, but i heard somewhere the govt. are trying to get outta paying for 'proper' stealth paint for britsh f-35's so we'll just have to rely on the shape.

Anyway eurofighter JSF, we talking about a close in dogfight? because the eurofighter has been mucked around with the canon, i'm not sure what the current state is last i heard they (politcians) were having a canon put in but not giving it a mag to save a few mil on ammo, strikes me as dumb personally

on paper i'd go for the typhoon, but it's a very big target (they had to muck around with the hardened aircraft shelters at conningsby just to fit it in ((the vert stabliser was about a foot too high, kinda embarassing when you can fit an F-15 Eagle in one of those things).

JSF, JSF, JSF!
Personally I feel the Eurofighter is like an advanced 90's fighter, while the JSF is truly the fighter of the next decade.

Back