Eurofighter Typhoon 4 36.36%
Lockheed F-35 Joint Strike FIghter 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

--

September 27th, 2004  
devilwasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
F-18s provide much better air strike capability than the F-14.
how?
in think the EF would win no bother its far more manouverable ,faster and has a larger range.
September 27th, 2004  
Animal Mother

Quote:
F-18s provide much better air strike capability than the F-14.
How?

Larger payload? Better loiter time? The F-14 beat the F/A-18 on both accounts.

The Hornet can carry more modern munitons, but the F-14D has been cleared on stuff like the AGM-88 HARM, JDAM, AIM-120 and so on, but since it is on the way out it was not deemed worth it to add it to the active fleet.

Had the Pentagon wanted they could have had a fighter-bomber easily the equal of the Strike Eagle in the USAF.
September 27th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I was referring to the modern munition bit.
Anyways yeah in terms of range, speed and stuff like that the F-14 is better.

Back to the point, between the JSF and the Euro fighter Typhoon I'd say JSF. For starters, isn't JSF stealth?
--
September 27th, 2004  
devilwasp

Quote:
Back to the point, between the JSF and the Euro fighter Typhoon I'd say JSF. For starters, isn't JSF stealth?
same with the EFT a bit cause the shape is also slightly stealthy.
also how will the JSF beat a faster,larger range, more manouverable and more advanced plane?
September 27th, 2004  
A Can of Man

It's not all about the shape, mostly about material. That's why the F-22 looks more like a regular jet than the F-117. They realized it wasn't neccessary to make a plane look like a 1980's flight sim model.
Not to mention the Typhoon's gigantic tail fin that is totally verticle is a huge reflector of radar beams. Also the other big enemy is the jet intake, which looks gigantic from the front on a Typhoon.
But how do you beat an airplane you cannot reliably get a target lock on?
September 28th, 2004  
devilwasp

Quote:
It's not all about the shape, mostly about material. That's why the F-22 looks more like a regular jet than the F-117. They realized it wasn't neccessary to make a plane look like a 1980's flight sim model.
Not to mention the Typhoon's gigantic tail fin that is totally verticle is a huge reflector of radar beams. Also the other big enemy is the jet intake, which looks gigantic from the front on a Typhoon.
But how do you beat an airplane you cannot reliably get a target lock on?
theycover it in RAM paint BTW.
yeah but the EFT can probably evade the missile with its manourvability.
you can beat it if you get closer. stealth just reduces doesnt make invisible.
besides the F35 is like a hog faceing a wolf.
September 28th, 2004  
Trevor

And that raps it up. The winner: Lockheed F-35 Joint Strike Fighter
September 28th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The turning and outmanouvering missile is easier said than done, plus I think the JSF can do that as well. Plus it's better if you're just plain hard to lock on to.
October 1st, 2004  
mig_eater

Correct me if i'm wrong but even the f-16 is painted with radar asorbing paint, it's not stealth just not shouting out here i am, and the eurofighter is painted with the same stuff. i know the US JSF's are stealth, but i heard somewhere the govt. are trying to get outta paying for 'proper' stealth paint for britsh f-35's so we'll just have to rely on the shape.

Anyway eurofighter JSF, we talking about a close in dogfight? because the eurofighter has been mucked around with the canon, i'm not sure what the current state is last i heard they (politcians) were having a canon put in but not giving it a mag to save a few mil on ammo, strikes me as dumb personally

on paper i'd go for the typhoon, but it's a very big target (they had to muck around with the hardened aircraft shelters at conningsby just to fit it in ((the vert stabliser was about a foot too high, kinda embarassing when you can fit an F-15 Eagle in one of those things).
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

JSF, JSF, JSF!
Personally I feel the Eurofighter is like an advanced 90's fighter, while the JSF is truly the fighter of the next decade.