Modern Calvary,

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
I know this is a redundant question... But being a civilian I have a general question on an International scale.

Anyway, what is a vague definition of modern Calvary? And how do different militaries from different areas of the world treat the idea of modern Calvary?

Also are there any recent military campaigns where modern Calvary made a difference?ANYWHERE in the world in terms of armed conflict?

A general question, and I mean legitimate modern military Calvary, not nostalgic operations where you "felt" as if you were the Calvary.

Last edited:
Not aware of any after WWII. Large numbers of Cossacks in Russia. As far as real battles probably the Soviet-Polish War in the 20s was the end of Cavalry fighting.

Calvery

George you answered the question right in the way of horseback calvery. The Cossacks in WW2. Who fought for both sides and still used their sabers and lances "as well as rifles" were likely the last large scale group to fight from horse back. They could be quite deadly charging into light infantry. They are famous for decimating the Germans as they retreated from Korsum.

As for modern calvery the term can often refer to United Stated armored regiments such as the 3rd or 11th armored calvery regiment which of course have no horses. And yes they fought in Operations Desert Storm, the Iraq War and Afghanistan.

George you answered the question right in the way of horseback calvery. The Cossacks in WW2. Who fought for both sides and still used their sabers and lances "as well as rifles" were likely the last large scale group to fight from horse back. They could be quite deadly charging into light infantry. They are famous for decimating the Germans as they retreated from Korsum.

As for modern calvery the term can often refer to United Stated armored regiments such as the 3rd or 11th armored calvery regiment which of course have no horses. And yes they fought in Operations Desert Storm, the Iraq War and Afghanistan.

That was more of the answer I was hoping to learn, the evolution of the premise with modern elements such as Armored Fighting Vehicles and aircraft. If the concept still hold enough merit to have dedicated fighting units trained to do so.

And how many countries still take the idea seriously.

That was more of the answer I was hoping to learn, the evolution of the premise with modern elements such as Armored Fighting Vehicles and aircraft. If the concept still hold enough merit to have dedicated fighting units trained to do so.

And how many countries still take the idea seriously.

I can only speak for the US Army. And you are right the term is evolutionary as these units originally say 130 years ago " I don't know exactly" were calvary units with horses, now instead they have a large armored contingent

using horses in modern Army?! Maybe it is possible but I think for us camels would be more useful than horses, at least for terrorists.

If we go for non-horse Cavalry, the Hueys of the Air Cavalry in Vietnam certainly increased the body count in that War. As far as mechanized, it'd be hard to sort out "Cav" from Armored ops.

?

If we go for non-horse Cavalry, the Hueys of the Air Cavalry in Vietnam certainly increased the body count in that War. As far as mechanized, it'd be hard to sort out "Cav" from Armored ops.

George what do you question? I thought I gave a straightway explanation?

George what do you question? I thought I gave a straightway explanation?

Reading the historical context of many past armored engagements form the Second World war up to and including the Invasion of Georgia.

I have seen the term Calvary applied to many armored units or the phrase "they were like the Cavalry". I know that the later is most likely just reference to old school horse mounted Calvary.

But I also had a basic understanding that there are mechanized units as well as airborne units in modern militaries that have high mobility paired with ready and available firepower.

Just trying to clarify what is considered Calvary as opposed to different types of units that maybe very similar.

Well in the US Army it refers to primarily armored - mechanized regiments which likely evolved from age old more traditional units with horse cavalry. I don't know how else to explain it. The term is commonly excepted by the US Military.

Modern cavalry

There are units designated as cavalry organizations in the U.S. Army. What is different about them as opposed to other types of units? Essentially, it is the mission assigned to them and the resources provided to them to accomplish that mission. The missions of modern cavalry are; reconnaissance, screening ( keeping enemy reconnaissance forces away from your main body), economy of force missions ( missions where a light force can accomplish the job, raids, capture of key points).The characteristics of modern cavalry are first and foremost great mobility and speed of advance. In order to have those characteristics modern cavalry is a combined - arms force. They consist of armored vehicles and helicopters, mobile artillery support in armored self-propelled guns or mortar carriers, infantry units that can be transported either in helicopters of armored carriers. The mix of vehicles and types are constantly changing. The organization is being constantly tinkered with in order to achieve maximum efficiency. In any case; their jobs to go out in front and tell commanders what is out there, keep the enemy from getting close to their own forces and any other missions that require speed, mobility and the ability to communicate over long distances, relaying information back. They are not designed for sustained combat or holding ground against heavy enemy pressure. They are assigned the same missions as horse cavalry.

Last edited:
Interesting

There are units designated as cavalry organizations in the U.S. Army. What is different about them as opposed to other types of units? Essentially, it is the mission assigned to them and the resources provided to them to accomplish that mission. The missions of modern cavalry are; reconnaissance, screening ( keeping enemy reconnaissance forces away from your main body), economy of force missions ( missions where a light force can accomplish the job, raids, capture of key points).The characteristics of modern cavalry are first and foremost great mobility and speed of advance. In order to have those characteristics modern cavalry is a combined - arms force. They consist of armored vehicles and helicopters, mobile artillery support in armored self-propelled guns or mortar carriers, infantry units that can be transported either in helicopters of armored carriers. The mix of vehicles and types are constantly changing. The organization is being constantly tinkered with in order to achieve maximum efficiency. In any case; their jobs to go out in front and tell commanders what is out there, keep the enemy from getting close to their own forces and any other missions that require speed, mobility and the ability to communicate over long distances, relaying information back. They are not designed for sustained combat or holding ground against heavy enemy pressure. They are assigned the same missions as horse cavalry.

While I was stationed at Ft Bliss the 3rd Calvary was stationed nearby "at that time 78" and I don't remember them having helicopters. Of course I wasn't a part of the unit so I could have missed this component.

From a New Zealand point of view Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles which was formed as a light cavalry unit in 1864 is now the primary component of the New Zealand Armoured Corps operating most NZLAV's.

I think for the most part horse powered cavalry units have evolved into armoured units with a focus on light armour and reconnaissance in Commonwealth units.

Swedish cavalry units changed from being an attack force to be a ranger/elite force shortly after the second world war, I think. Probably when they ate all the horses and never got new ones.

Swedish armor forces were developed from infantry units and they are armor/mech units today.

There is a direct tie from Mechanized Infantry to the Mounted Infantry of the Civil War era, though many have never heard of mounted infantry. The above description of current "Cavalry" matches the use of Cavalry during most of the C.W. The Armor Corp as a whole is similar to the late C.W. use of cavalry like "Wilson's Raid", actually an Offensive, that captured Selma, Al., Montgomery, Al., Columbus, Ga. & later on President Davis. So..part of the O/P was has Cavalry contributed in an important way to modern war. If we're just talking the screening/recon section the answer is no. Armor as a whole has played critical role in the wars in the Middle East. I'd still say the "Air Cav" played a big role in Vietnam, of course another situation where many used helos even if no Cav designation.

Swedish cavalry units changed from being an attack force to be a ranger/elite force shortly after the second world war, I think. Probably when they ate all the horses and never got new ones.

Swedish armor forces were developed from infantry units and they are armor/mech units today.

Interesting development... I'd say under duress I could fancy horse meat myself.

Also It is interesting to see armored units develop solely from infantry as well. I suppose that makes sense seeing as the tank in it's infancy a century ago was an infantry support multiplier.

Interesting on how that aspect of modern conflict changed over the years as well.

horse meat

Interesting development... I'd say under duress I could fancy horse meat myself.

Also It is interesting to see armored units develop solely from infantry as well. I suppose that makes sense seeing as the tank in it's infancy a century ago was an infantry support multiplier.

Interesting on how that aspect of modern conflict changed over the years as well.

many soldiers in both world wars ate horse meat

Back